testtest

Suppressor’s on a pistol

KLGunner

Staff member
So recently I’ve been looking at what this next year Gun purchases will be. I was speaking to the owner of my LGS and he showed me this gun that he and his son owns. The Maxim 9 chambered in 9mm (photo below compliments to silencerco.com). This gun got me thinking 🤔. What’s the benefits of having a suppressor on a pistol? What’s the differences/benefits between a thread on or a built on silencer? What gun would you like to see with a silencer built on?
4BC35FD3-A83E-4F08-A187-44B23A528895.jpeg

Last edited:
Great for critters around the barn, packs nicely and no need for ears. I like having the option of removing the can. A dedicated system might be nice but it can get cost prohibitive.

I think the best examples of built in are AWC Amphibians. Clean, classic lines and just make sense in 22. Other systems just get too big to carry comfortably.

Last edited:
What’s the benefits of having a silencer on a pistol?

Hearing protection. BTW they don't silence they suppress the loudness of the shot.

What’s the difference between a thread on or a built on silencer?

Integral suppressors make the overall package more compact, and in some ways can suppress the sound of the shot more due to the greater length of some integral suppressors. But suppressor wipes can wear out so for maintenance it's pretty obvious you're stuck with the whole package going in for wipe replacement.

But you're also stuck with the suppressor design that the integral approach gives you. Tech advances.

A thread on allows you to operate the firearm both ways. Plus easier to carry since the thread-on/QR suppressor = firearm makes for a longer package. And for wipe replacement you would just send the suppressor in.

What gun would you like to see with a silencer built on?

Personally, I think integral suppressor/firearm packages are very niche set-ups & more expensive. Having the firearm & suppressor separate is more versatile. If you have the tread-on or muzzle device QR versions you have many more options. I wouldn't buy an integral firearm/suppressor.

My .02

Last edited:
I would like to get one. Didn't want to go though all the process when I heard they were tring to get rid of the tax stamp. I like the ones you can remove. As you can use it on different guns.

Hear protection. BTW they don't silence they suppress the loudness of the shot.

Integral suppressors make the overall package more compact, and in some ways can suppress the sound of the shot more due to the greater length of some integral suppressors. But suppressor wipes can wear out so for maintenance it's pretty obvious you're stuck with the whole package going in for wipe replacement.

But you're also stuck with the suppressor design that the integral approach gives you. Tech advances.

A thread on allows you to operate the firearm both ways. Plus easier to carry since the thread-on/QR suppressor = firearm makes for a longer package. And for wipe replacement you would just send the suppressor in.

Personally, I think integral suppressor/firearm packages are very niche set-ups & more expensive. Having the firearm & suppressor separate is more versatile. If you have the tread-on or muzzle device QR versions you have many more options. I wouldn't buy an integral firearm/suppressor.

My .02
I meant suppressor not silencer (darn blonde moments). The second question wasn’t so much what the difference is but more what’s the benefit of each rather.

Hearing protection. BTW they don't silence they suppress the loudness of the shot.

My .02
Shushers was out of the question then. The built on/in is more compact, but if wanting too sell it gives less options.

Shushers was out of the question then. The built on/in is more compact, but if wanting too sell it gives less options.
I’ve always had the mindset that with a firearm of any kind once you own it you don’t sell it. IF the situation were to arise and I HAD to sell it I would be going through an FFL. Only way I’d sell ever.

Back