testtest

Teaching your children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to show my kids tricks on how too do certain things and the replies are usually the puzzled look! When it comes too math they don't get it, then 2 years later after a day of school they say, "Look what I've learned!". I tell them, "I showed you that 2 years ago!". When it comes too my kids teaching them comes hard, but other peoples kids understand/get it! What is up with that? Anyone with similar teaching issues or am I singled out?

I have had those challenges. Just like telling them a reason not to do something and they don't listen to you. Then someone comes a long and tells them not to do that and tells them the exact reason you did, they listen to the other person.

They have always listened to me with life experience type things. School, I have no idea how they teach them anymore. High school, and even college is all taught differently now from when I was in it. Especially math. I can remember having meetings with guidance counselors and teachers, telling them if any of their students worked for me, they would be fired. Why does it take them 15 minutes to solve a problem, (that they have to show their work on) when us "older folk" can do it in about 10 seconds. I was told they are getting rid of that system. They dont teach cursive writing anymore ether. How do they "sign" their names? Getting a little off topic here. I do understand where you are coming from with kids not listening.

They have always listened to me with life experience type things. School, I have no idea how they teach them anymore. High school, and even college is all taught differently now from when I was in it. Especially math. I can remember having meetings with guidance counselors and teachers, telling them if any of their students worked for me, they would be fired. Why does it take them 15 minutes to solve a problem, (that they have to show their work on) when us "older folk" can do it in about 10 seconds. I was told they are getting rid of that system. They dont teach cursive writing anymore ether. How do they "sign" their names? Getting a little off topic here. I do understand where you are coming from with kids not listening.
That's not how we were taught math, coming from them. Since when did they change math!

That's not how we were taught math, coming from them. Since when did they change math!
No, that is not how we were taught at all. Both my wife and I cant even follow it, and I had no problems with math. Maybe it's a MA thing. They have received an enormous amount of complaints about it over the years so they are supposedly going to phase it out.

They get points taken off for not having the correct step process for the answer, even though it is correct!
Oh yes they do. If they don't have all of the steps listed out they get it marked incorrect because the work wasn't shown. Even if the answer is the correct one. That put an enormous amount of pressure on the kids. They couldnt ask their parents for help. It was infuriating.

I try to show my kids tricks on how too do certain things and the replies are usually the puzzled look! When it comes too math they don't get it, then 2 years later after a day of school they say, "Look what I've learned!". I tell them, "I showed you that 2 years ago!". When it comes too my kids teaching them comes hard, but other peoples kids understand/get it! What is up with that? Anyone with similar teaching issues or am I singled out?
Could be genetic?????

We all know you must follow the recipe and not be taking short cuts.
If you don't show the steps you could have used an electronic device.
Right. Acording to the kids, the way they have it set up, you couldnt use a calculator anyway. One of the teachers explained to me that this helps them learn a different methodology. OK fine, but it's at the expense of efficiency. I can tell I am getting old and crabby.

Objectively, I can see both sides.

Some answers are simply ingrained in us through repetition - which is fine, when you have THAT question.

Sometimes, we need to know the process in order to arrive at the correct answer.

Should they get zero credit for just knowing the answer? Or should they be required to back-show the process used to arrive at that answer? I don't see the point (from the efficiency standpoint) of forcing a process when the answer is correct, but I can understand having to know the process. Back in my day, we "had to know how to do math on paper, in case the adding machine broke". Kinda like having to be proficient with the iron sights, in case the laser doesn't light.

I taught photography back when Photoshop was still a big deal, and digital cameras still cost multiple thousands of dollars. I used film, and a darkroom, and I made all my students use film, and a darkroom, until they "got" the basics of composition, exposure, balance, development, and not wasting frames. Once they got that, I allowed digital work to be done - but you have to have the foundation. When I taught archery, none of my kids were allowed to qualify using a compound bow, or a trigger - you shoot a recurve, with your fingers, in order to qualify. You can play with your compound...but you gotta have the basics first.

Right. Acording to the kids, the way they have it set up, you couldnt use a calculator anyway. One of the teachers explained to me that this helps them learn a different methodology. OK fine, but it's at the expense of efficiency. I can tell I am getting old and crabby.
Sometimes you only have what sits atop your shoulders to use in figuring out a problem. When teaching one of my questions is what if you don't have a computer, cell or calculator available. Then at least know there is an old school way to MacGyver your way out of the situation. No need to freeze to death just because your Bic or Zippo failed. Matches got wet.....

Tell your child opposite of how you want it done and they will do it the correct way every time !! ( they do opposite of what we tell them when it comes to “teaching moments” )
My teen ager replies to my usually with: “Oldie”
Let's not do that with firearms...... may for once decide to do what they are told. Remember, children can be quite unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back