testtest

The Complimentary Shooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomHero

Custom
Founding Member
As there are many vast opinions on what we all think is the best firearms, these are the ones we buy. Some stay in safes and never get shot. Some are taken and shot often. As you go to the range, there is a wide variety of skilled shooters from beginners to experts. Do you ever look left and right of your lane and start a conversation? Do you ever offer for them next to you to shoot your firearm that in your opinion is the best? Are you the complimentary shooter?

No, not really. I am aware of what's going on around me, but really only chat when approached. I give others their space and only offer advice when asked. Don't get me wrong, I love to share my opinions and pass along what works for me. Kind of what I do on the driving range when I'm working on my golf game.

Yes and no.

Some folks really don't appreciate being looked-in on - much less chatted with.

Others are the complete other end of the spectrum.

While I will definitely interact with the latter, I am also respectful of the former. It really is all about just "reading" the other party, as with any other interpersonal interactions. :)

My wife and I were at a local gun range one day and a couple walks in and sets up on the lane next to us.

The man starts shooting, not sure the female ever had, and his grouping at 10 yards was terrible. Absolutely nothing consistent about it. My wife and I weren't trying to watch, but they were right next to us.

After I shot a strand, my wife nods in their direction. The man was shooting another mag and we could observe his grip and man it was terrible. His hand placement was an inch low on the weapon. So every time he fired the muzzle flipped up pretty severely.

I wanted to say something so bad. I wanted to help, I truly did, but I also didn't want to call him out in front of his woman. He kept expressing to her that he had never shot this bad. My wife and I packed up and left and I used it as a training message for my wife about proper grip.

Was I right or wrong? Should I of said something? I don't worry about it, but I guess I should of asked if he wanted some advice I guess.

I just didn't want to come across as "that" guy.

My wife and I were at a local gun range one day and a couple walks in and sets up on the lane next to us.

The man starts shooting, not sure the female ever had, and his grouping at 10 yards was terrible. Absolutely nothing consistent about it. My wife and I weren't trying to watch, but they were right next to us.

After I shot a strand, my wife nods in their direction. The man was shooting another mag and we could observe his grip and man it was terrible. His hand placement was an inch low on the weapon. So every time he fired the muzzle flipped up pretty severely.

I wanted to say something so bad. I wanted to help, I truly did, but I also didn't want to call him out in front of his woman. He kept expressing to her that he had never shot this bad. My wife and I packed up and left and I used it as a training message for my wife about proper grip.

Was I right or wrong? Should I of said something? I don't worry about it, but I guess I should of asked if he wanted some advice I guess.

Absolutely nothing done wrong. Everyone had different comfort levels.

I think you were right to not interfere, @Grifter .

Pride is an awful thing that drives at all of our "base monkeys," particularly when our life-mates are involved.

While it's certainly possible that the other shooter would have been appreciative, it's also just as possible for him to have responded in the negative.

For me, personally, I know that if I see a shooter in an adjacent lane doing much better than I, I will peek over and try to start a conversation and garner tips - but, of-course not everyone is like this.

Alternatively, it could be just as well that the other party and his companion were both too shy: and really, that's OK, too.

As long as safety is not an issue, I tend to first respect that interpersonal distance with my fellow shooters. And if safety is an issue, I'd rather first go to the RSO - or just simply pack up and leave. It again takes pride out of the equation. :)

At the range I go to, there are a bunch of young zombie killers that show up with their AR's and a boatload of ammo.
They tend to empty their mags as fast as they can, so there is absolutely nothing I could offer them.
I practice accuracy, not speed.
If it starts to get unsafe I leave quicker.

At the range I go to, there are a bunch of young zombie killers that show up with their AR's and a boatload of ammo.
They tend to empty their mags as fast as they can, so there is absolutely nothing I could offer them.
I practice accuracy, not speed.
If it starts to get unsafe I leave quicker.

^ I wonder if, though, that some of them area just waiting for a mentor.....

Maybe one day one of their party will look over at your target, and discover something?

At least that's my hope. :)

Oh, and this is a great thread for me to add the following, I think:

The "+ONE Movement" on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/plusonemovementshooting/about/) as well as that old blog entry by Greg Ellifritz (https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-interesting-experience-at-the-shooting-range) both really speak to the heart of this excellent thread started by @RandomHero . (y)

I think you were right in leaving it alone. Maybe he wouldnt have been offended, but then again, he very well might have been. Hopefully with continued practice, he will figure it out.

Oh, and this is a great thread for me to add the following, I think:

The "+ONE Movement" on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/plusonemovementshooting/about/) as well as that old blog entry by Greg Ellifritz (https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-interesting-experience-at-the-shooting-range) both really speak to the heart of this excellent thread started by @RandomHero . (y)

I am humbly honored by your kind words.

If I am by myself, or more than likely, have my son with me, all is quiet. No one usually ever approaches other than the occasional person asking if I reload so they will ask for the brass. Now when I have my 18 year old twin girls with me, I am a rock star. Sometimes I am spending more time fielding questions than actually shooting. I think most are genuine and very complimentary about getting more female shooters to the range and into shooting. They have been invited to watch many meets and practices and are welcomed to join shooting during these times. Others will ask me how often they are there and at what times.

At my outdoor club/range I know most since we only have about 100 members, that’s the limit there, but I am not one to go out of my way to talk, my only hang up is when a member or a members guest comes up and says, hey, that’s nice, can I see your gun, I don’t care for that. There are limitations to that, if I know the person real well, yea, I will let him see my gun, unloaded of course, but if it’s someone I have seen, but don’t know, no, you can’t. Now if somebody needs help or assistance if there having a problem and they ask if I can help, then yes, but if I see an issue, I won’t go over and butt in on my own.

At my outdoor club/range I know most since we only have about 100 members, that’s the limit there, but I am not one to go out of my way to talk, my only hang up is when a member or a members guest comes up and says, hey, that’s nice, can I see your gun, I don’t care for that. There are limitations to that, if I know the person real well, yea, I will let him see my gun, unloaded of course, but if it’s someone I have seen, but don’t know, no, you can’t. Now if somebody needs help or assistance if there having a problem and they ask if I can help, then yes, but if I see an issue, I won’t go over and butt in on my own.
Agree with you completely. I know when I am there. I want to be concentrating on what I am doing. Sometimes that can get a little challenging and I will call it. We have about 5000 members in my club. You will never be by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back