testtest

The Days a light bulb went on

Sld1959

Hellcat
What were those days when the proverbial lightbulb went off for you, for whatever it may be.

A few come to mind for me. The first is quite a number of years ago, 1977, when I was sitting down by the river eating my lunch after getting out of high school early my senior year. suddenly I heard a voice ask for a smoke, a voice from a person who was way too close. That startled me, and my initial thoughts were, dang, he could have had me if he had ill intentions, I learned that day about situational awareness.

Another was the day of the Great Eastern Blackout, when I was at home and poof, no lights, no warning, no storm, nothing, simply no lights. That day and the days following taught me I was not nearly as prepared as I thought, I needed to pay closer attention to details. Little things like a headlamp, to do menial chores, or even for entertainment like reading in the dark, were crucial because store would not always be open to buy them when you needed them. A good supply of spare batteries for all lights are crucial for the same reasons. Keeping the vehicles fueled could make the difference between being mobile or on foot when the pumps do not work for an extended time.

I learned the value of carrying a personal light the day I was alone at work, way in back with no windows and up on a lift stringing computer lines, as the DP Manager I had given the guys Saturday off. Someone hit a power pole, and poof no lights. I had to work my way out of a maze of equipment in pitch black, and just stopped short, and I do mean JUST, of falling into a truck bay, when I stopped to light a match to get my bearings.

I learned not to truly trust the vast majority of people, just a small group of very close people when an uncle was murdered in his parts store in Detroit. He had owned the store for 20 years and the neighborhood had gotten bad and everyone asked him to sell out, but he always said. The people down here will never hurt me, i help them and they know it.... This one also showed me that personal protection was very important, and as soon as Michigan instituted CPL laws I was one of the first in line.

I thought I was pretty well prepared before the blackout but found holes. Like batteries, and a headlamp for each of us. Food I was good, but when it went both vehicles were like 1/2 full, and I had nothing stored.

I did find adhoc solutions too, like outside driveway solar lights make great indoor lighting.

The biggest take away was that there is not always warnings of storms, or events, to give you that extra time to "pick up a few things".

Good read, thank you for sharing your experience.

A helpful hint with so many things being battery powered now days, is to have a plastic tackle box (Plastic is non Corrosive - keeps possible corrosion from spreading elsewhere if batteries leak.) for all the various batteries someone may have scattered here and there? Keeping a small battery tester in the same tackle box also helps. The portability and organization of a tackle box helps keep batteries separated and easier to grab and go sometimes. One precaution is the weight. Be mindful of the size box. Batteries in bulk aren't light!

Good read, thank you for sharing your experience.

A helpful hint with so many things being battery powered now days, is to have a plastic tackle box (Plastic is non Corrosive - keeps possible corrosion from spreading elsewhere if batteries leak.) for all the various batteries someone may have scattered here and there? Keeping a small battery tester in the same tackle box also helps. The portability and organization of a tackle box helps keep batteries separated and easier to grab and go sometimes. One precaution is the weight. Be mindful of the size box. Batteries in bulk aren't light!
Good tip indeed.

Be prepared to walk or need help driving.

Flat tire, stuck in snow, engine issues .

all leave you high and dry alone.

be prepared for car issues in every season. Snow boots and appropriate clothes for road hazards in winter.
Same for hot summers.. water , etc..
Personal protection if stranded late at night on back country road and way to get help if car breaks down.
Flat tire and no good spare…

been there done that on all three…

makes you more prepared for “next time”

Be prepared to walk or need help driving.

Flat tire, stuck in snow, engine issues .

all leave you high and dry alone.

be prepared for car issues in every season. Snow boots and appropriate clothes for road hazards in winter.
Same for hot summers.. water , etc..
Personal protection if stranded late at night on back country road and way to get help if car breaks down.
Flat tire and no good spare…

been there done that on all three…

makes you more prepared for “next time”
Speaking of batteries, this past Thursday my truck battery decided to die. I had just come from downtown and made it home. Went to restart the truck to move it and it was flat dead. Luckily I had a "jump box" that I bought back in April. I keep it under the rear seat. Hooked it up and the truck (5.0L) started first turn of the key. Used the car and went and bought a new battery that same day. I got the GB70, and they have smaller and larger models.

My daughter had a light bulb day on March 13 2020. On the day of lock down she finally started to understand why we always had a pantry and emergency supplies.

Their normal week consisted of several grocery runs, they kept very little in stock for even a normal week. They liked to say they did not know what they would feel like later in the week. Those days leading up to and the lockdown day itself they spent many hours driving around trying to find groceries and staples like toilet paper. They had a rather lean time. We even broke the rules and used my wife's essential worker pass to take them some emergency supplies when they ran out if things, they live an hour away so it was a bit of a stretch rules wise. But, not going to let my grandkids starve.

Later she said, now I understand why you always has so much stored...

My daughter had a light bulb day on March 13 2020. On the day of lock down she finally started to understand why we always had a pantry and emergency supplies.

Their normal week consisted of several grocery runs, they kept very little in stock for even a normal week. They liked to say they did not know what they would feel like later in the week. Those days leading up to and the lockdown day itself they spent many hours driving around trying to find groceries and staples like toilet paper. They had a rather lean time. We even broke the rules and used my wife's essential worker pass to take them some emergency supplies when they ran out if things, they live an hour away so it was a bit of a stretch rules wise. But, not going to let my grandkids starve.

Layer she said, now I understand why you always has so much stored...
So much this.
No need to hoard 6 months of groceries, but I like to have at least 3 weeks of can veggies and frozen meat on hand. Buy when goes on sale cheap and stock for a few weeks. That way I have 2 options:

- tired of every other day runs for fresh dinner supplies like veggies / fruit to supermarket, i can just do a quick meal from supplies.

- allows me to not scramble during winter storms or what not for groceries and avoid the crush of folks scrambling.

Later she said, now I understand why you always has so much stored...
Lightbulb moments?
Anymore, almost every day has a lightbulb moment for me and likely others that many things, that used to be smaller things, have changed to more lengthy ordeals. That small things, that used to be easy and quick, aren't always. The used to be 5 - 10 minute things now take much of the day sometimes. Found the need to plan enough time ( the lightbulb moment) which isn't always so easy when dealing with unknowns. - Like returned phone calls or being on hold for what seems like an eternity and sometimes maybe whatever outcomes? The current "We can call you back" automated voice can get really old when someone may need to drive somewhere or is doing something else that's not conducive for all concerned. Good or not? Being in a restroom or eating meals may be one of those moments when calls are returned?

By the way, thanks for sharing your thoughts, think they're good ones. Your examples show the differences in some peoples logic to me. Living only for today and with little thought for tomorrow is shown in some. Some differences may point to lack of foresight and desperation of others? ....Even in the event of your unfortunate uncles thoughts. - His thoughts were more logical from a more experienced persons point of view of the future. Unfortunately for many people, others logic may be different? Some people only live day to day, for the day, with little thought for the next or much of anything else in the future. Sadly, am thinking your uncle may have met the other logic?

Other thoughts?

Generally, older people know from experience gained by their age, that living only in the day and not planning for the near foreseeable future too can lead to issues and problems with many things besides and including consumables later on down the road.

People can learn many things by books and or through experience. Often times, using both is a good thing. From actual experience, books and other informational sources are great, people can learn many things through those. But, with actual physical experience, a person may actually feel the experience and outcome better and more personally, so it may have more effect for some. There's many different "lightbulb moments" out there. Some lightbulb moments may have dimmer switches installed, some may burn too bright and burn themselves up too quick and some burn at a constant usable brightness and usually last longer? It can be a jungle sorting it out sometimes?

Storing consumables is easy? Not always, even if need is there. Food and other possible normally consumed needs/things are best stored where space is available for future use when having adequate storage space. The issue sometimes? Storage space is not always available in different scenarios. Examples? Some smaller apartments and homes may have little storage space except possibly under a bed? - Surprisingly, finding room for a bulk pack of TP for example can be a challenge in some places have seen. Organization can help, but only goes so far when space is limited. Experiences and needs too can vary widely from living in the country where many stock up verses cramped, crowded cities where there's little room sometimes for much of anything including future needs? Just a few thoughts is all.

True, there are those moments every day. I guess the thrust of the post was geared towards sharing those seminal moments where one could point to a clear moment in time when the proverbial light bulb went off.

It could be a minor thing, like the need of carrying of a flashlight, or something larger like finding out about situational awareness.

Just a way to share the collective experiences which shaped each of our unique members.

I find these types of life's lessons and experiences most instructional.

True, there are those moments every day. I guess the thrust of the post was geared towards sharing those seminal moments where one could point to a clear moment in time when the proverbial light bulb went off.

It could be a minor thing, like the carry of a flashlight, or something larger like finding out about situational awareness.

Just a way to share the collective experiences which shaped each of our unique members.

I find these types of life's lessons and experiences most instructional.
About same thoughts here.

Back