testtest

The Everywhere Rifle?

Nice article on two of my favorite rifles that I've owned, used and rehabilitated (M1Gs) for decades.

However, the article "assumes" that both M1A and M1 Garand will never be labeled as assault rifles by politicians. This assumption is wishful thinking, and unlikely to stand the test of time because both are semi-autos. We all know the experience in England/Australia and other countries where semi-auto ownership have been banned or extremely limited.

Therefore, IMO an "everywhere" rifle is really a bolt-action, although some have called bolt guns "sniper rifles" even in a hunting rifle configuration.

Perhaps SA will come out with a new bolt-gun that's a bit more unique than the average bolt gun. I would suggest looking at Jeff Cooper's "Scout Rifle" concept & some European rifle features as a starting point, but with a fresh look at what that would look like.

My .02

Last edited:
Nice article on two of my favorite rifles that I've owned, used and rehabilitated (M1Gs) for decades.

However, the article "assumes" that both M1A and M1 Garand will never be labeled as assault rifles by politicians. This assumption is wishful thinking, and unlikely to stand the test of time because both are semi-autos. We all know the experience in England/Australia and other countries where semi-auto ownership have been banned or extremely limited.

Therefore, IMO an "everywhere" rifle is really a bolt-action, although some have called bolt guns "sniper rifles" even in a hunting rifle configuration.

Perhaps SA will come out with a new bolt-gun that's a bit more unique than the average bolt gun. I would suggest looking at Jeff Cooper's "Scout Rifle" concept & some European rifle features as a starting point, but with a fresh look at what that would look like.

My .02

Something like the Mossberg MVP or Ruger American that can use AR-pattern magazines would be nice—the AI pattern mags are rather pricy for what you get...at least in calibers based on .223 and .308.

The Remington-pattern pump rifles that can accept box magazines wouldn’t be bad, either...they made a 556 model that accepted AR mags for a while; make one in .308, that took KAC/DPMS pattern mags, I’d likely pick one up.

I think any AR-detachable magazine can be banned, especially over 10 rds.

I have a Mossberg MVP and while it's nice to have the AR mag capability Mossberg had to come up with a unique bolt feature to allow it to function & feed, albeit not as smooth as a reg bolt gun.

Several European bolt guns have & currently (CZs) extended fixed mags for extra capacity. I've used a, aftermarket "Xtender" floor plate on several of my Rem 700 builds/upgrades that give me and extra 3/4 rds. (.308/.223) simply by replacing the floorplate.

I have a Mossberg MVP and while it's nice to have the AR mag capability Mossberg had to come up with a unique bolt feature to allow it to function & feed, albeit not as smooth as a reg bolt gun.

Several European bolt guns have & currently (CZs) extended fixed mags for extra capacity. I've used a, aftermarket "Xtender" floor plate on several of my Rem 700 builds/upgrades that give me and extra 3/4 rds. (.308/.223) simply by replacing the floorplate.

Maybe just have to stock up on “Air Service” magazines for a 1903...

This is the product I was talking about.

Mag-Xtender

Note: I just talked with the manufacturer and he no longer makes the version for the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500. I wanted one of those for my new 6mm Creedmoor build but all for naught.

However, the Rem 700 (LA & SA) version will be always available.

Installation tutorial
Fyi.. Weatherby makes a detachable box mag kit, but not an extender.

The Ruger gunsite Scout in .308 My boss has one and loves it.
ruger gunsite scout rifle 308.jpg

What year did you buy your Mossberg MVP? I was the engineer who built the stock for that gun, do you have a wood stock?

What year did you buy your Mossberg MVP? I was the engineer who built the stock for that gun, do you have a wood stock?

I got a .223/5.56 "Thunder Ranch" when they came out. No, the green synthetic stock that that model came with. Replaced the extractor with a better aftermarket version.

Shoots fine. Feeds better with Lancer's although Magpuls also work albeit not as smooth.

I see Mossberg doesn't offer that version anymore.

I got a .223/5.56 "Thunder Ranch" when they came out. No the Green synthetic stock that that model came with. Replaced the extractor with a better aftermarket version.

Shoots fine. Feeds better with Lancer's although Magpuls also work albeit not as smooth.

I see Mossberg doesn't offer that version anymore.
Mossberg went through a major restructuring after I left the company. They discontinued a lot of products to save money. It was around the time Trump took office and everyone stopped buying guns. That was a popular rifle back then. I wrote the CNC program to make the walnut/laminate stock outside profile and action cuts for the MVP along with all of the other bolt action rifles made between 2010-2015

One of the reasons I got into lever-guns is that I have never heard any of the politicians trying to ban them. My .357's and .44 Mag can each hold 10 rounds, and I would consider one of them my "Everywhere Rifle". I've always been amazed how non-gunowners tend to look at any black polymer rifle as an instrument of death (even if it's a bolt action), but tend to think of my lever-guns as historical relics.

I don't have to worry about the restrictions in my state (yet) thank God, but my Scout is certainly my go to in it's original form. I love it!

Back