testtest

The Gas or E-85 Prices Where You Live?

Can someone tell me why E-85 cost more then gas these days?
It don't around here BUT it was a heck of a lot cheaper a few years ago. Now around here it's about .40 cheaper. Folks I know who have those vehicles say if they use it they use more e85 to go the same milage that one tank of regular gas will get them. So I honestly do not see much if any savings from it.
Some just use it because of it higher octane rating.

I've heard several reason as to why it now so close in price unfortunately I do not believe any of the reasons.

Funny story. Once upon a time the truckers were selling gallons of it as moonshine 😲 so Archer Daniels Midland now puts a foul tasting bitterrent in it to prevent the drinking and selling.
I only know this because my uncle drove for ADM

Last edited:
I put one tank full of E85 in my F150 and the truck ran like crap aside from getting almost 100 miles less on the tank then regular gas. There is no way I’m putting that crap in my F250 and with the price per gallon of E85 there is no savings whatsoever.

I put one tank full of E85 in my F150 and the truck ran like crap aside from getting almost 100 miles less on the tank then regular gas. There is no way I’m putting that crap in my F250 and with the price per gallon of E85 there is no savings whatsoever.
I bought a new 2012 Chrysler 300 S with 47 miles on it, I have used E-5 from day one i've owned it. I have never had a any fuel problems with E-85 not one.

It don't around here BUT it was a heck of a lot cheaper a few years ago. Now around here it's about .40 cheaper. Folks I know who have those vehicles say if they use it they use more e85 to go the same milage that one tank of regular gas will get them. So I honestly do not see much if any savings from it.
Some just use it because of it higher octane rating.

I've heard several reason as to why it now so close in price unfortunately I do not believe any of the reasons.

Funny story. Once upon a time the truckers were selling gallons of it as moonshine 😲 so Archer Daniels Midland now puts a foul tasting bitterrent in it to prevent the drinking and selling.
I only know this because my uncle drove for ADM
I remember reading somewhere that E-85 is environment friendly. Note. Your mpg will suffer when using this alternative fuel mixture.

Ethanol is not good for motors and it doesn’t perform well.

Regular unleaded is $1.69 here right now. My buddy owns an oil and gas company in Kansas, has rigs on his property and leases on tons of other properties. He’s not been having a great last couple of years.

I remember reading somewhere that E-85 is environment friendly. Note. Your mpg will suffer when using this alternative fuel mixture.

Actually producing E-85 is VERY harmful to the environment due to fertilizer runoff into waterways, plus the energy used to grow corn, harvest & transport it to processing plants & the energy used to create ethanol from the corn. It's really a massive scam since the indudtry is massively subsidized by both sides.

Actually producing E-85 is VERY harmful to the environment due to fertilizer runoff into waterways, plus the energy used to grow corn, harvest & transport it to processing plants & the energy used to create ethanol from the corn. It's really a massive scam since the indudtry is massively subsidized by both sides.
This is no different than when they started making unleaded gas. They stopped adding the lead additive and charged more money for it. Just a scam .

This is no different than when they started making unleaded gas. They stopped adding the lead additive and charged more money for it. Just a scam .

Actually lead does have very toxic effects, but in order to replace it's performance in gasoline the new additives were more expensive.

Ethanol gas doesn't work well in small gas engines so I use non-ethanol in them.

Actually lead does have very toxic effects, but in order to replace it's performance in gasoline the new additives were more expensive.

Ethanol gas doesn't work well in small gas engines so I use non-ethanol in them.
From what read: Lead is toxic because it imitates and is absorbed like calcium in the body. Effects brain. Kids, in formative years more so. Adults? Who cares? We're crazy enough already? :)

We had a hold out Shell station in my neck of the woods that had made a special deal with Shell to sell only real pure gasoline. It was a great gig for a few years. My lawn mower suddenly started giving me problems. After 15 yrs of ownership I figured it was just on its last leg. I never had any problems ever. I coughed up the 50.00 to have it looked at. The guy said to start buying the special gas that had no ethanol in it. I at first laughed and said there is no way I will pay you 25.00 a gallon for your gas as I already buy pure gas. When he told me the gas had ethanol in it. I was shocked and thought he was being a little sketchy. I ask him to test the gas in my truck as I bought it at the same time i filled up the 2 gallon gas jug. Sure enough it was not pure gas.
Let me just tell you when told my station owner he to was shocked. He had been paying .25+ cents more a gallon depending on grade(87,90,93) for pure gas yet he had not been getting what he was paying for. He closed up not too awful long after fighting with Shell for reimbursement. He ended up bringing a lawsuit against them but I have no idea where that ended.
It's just shady that Shell had done that after a year or two of pure gas. Gas stations in my part had always regular 87 in pure gas and 89 in "plus" that had ethanol. A law or something changed and they were no longer able to offer pure gas. So being an independent station owner he was able to make a side deal to offer pure gas all octane levels because that is what his customers wanted and desired. Yet Shell decided they were going to shaft him and make more off him and sell him there cheaper grade for a premium price he was paying. From how it was explained to me the ethanol is added to the truck after the pure gas to get the recommended 10% blend.
I do not know if it does any good but I now use the Stable ethanol stuff for the mower. So far no problems for going on a several years. Since I've no had problems I'm either lucky or it works to some extent.

I must have got lucky, my 2005 300 runs good has 91000 on it and still gets 20 M.P.G. in town on regular 87 octane.
Front suspension does suck though..

My 2003 Dodge Caravan with the 3.8 is still running and is well over 300k miles now. And my daily driver is a 2005 Ram with the big hemi. About 250k miles on it.

Back