testtest

The Ins and Outs of Handgun Safes

I just bought this Hornady quick access safe online for under the bed.

I plan on putting a pistol in it but not the type that fit in a nightstand.

I have a Stack-On in the Jeep; physical key backup and RFID button electronics, as well as a 3 button sequence code option. Just for when I go somewhere that I have to leave it in the car.

Home, I have a large Liberty that holds everything except for the bedside 12ga pump.

I like the Fort Knox pistol safes with their simplex locks; they’re pretty much bombproof.

I do not care for the biometric or electronic safes for quick access; used to have them from various manufacturers, they all crapped out sooner or later...just wouldn’t trust one.

Decent read on the ins and outs of handgun safes, some good points, some good pointers at the end of the article.

Thanks for read Anni,
On many electronic pin punch safes they also have barrel key locks.
Thin, cheap gauge metal may meet laws is all? Purpose and reasoning is more essential.

Am also thinking grandpappy in story was onto something there too? Maybe a wise old owl?
Sometimes out of reach/sight applies, but sometimes in sight is also another type of "safe" as or security as well?

(Why were locked glass gun cabinets so popular? - Depends on why, where and when though? - Can usually hear glass breaking better for one? - A loud very audible alarm could help as well with most any cabs or safes?)

Glass, actual security? - Easier to see and likely use if something's available, missing or not if not in locked closed door safe? Plus, beyond all that, teaching kids most things yourself is usually 110% better than them learning by themselves, with strangers or with other friends?

I picked up the AR locker to throw in a less expensive but reliable rifle & pistol to have a quicker alternative access rather going into my main safe.

I also have a couple quick access pistol safes in the house.

I like the Fort Knox pistol safes with their simplex locks; they’re pretty much bombproof.

I do not care for the biometric or electronic safes for quick access; used to have them from various manufacturers, they all crapped out sooner or later...just wouldn’t trust one.
My main safe came with an electronic pin pad and backup key but most factory safes have crappy electronics or easily picked key hole locks so I purchased an upgraded lock and key system from Mbausa to replace what came from the factory. It's really not to difficult a job to tackle and only requires basic hand tools to change the lock out.

My main safe came with an electronic pin pad and backup key but most factory safes have crappy electronics or easily picked key hole locks so I purchased an upgraded lock and key system from Mbausa to replace what came from the factory. It's really not to difficult a job to tackle and only requires basic hand tools to change the lock out.

I upgraded my “big“ safes to the hybrid keypad/dial locks a couple years ago (one had a S&G keypad, the other a mechanical)...this way, if the electronics fail, the mechanical lock still works.

I also have the Hornady RapID NightGuard safe, and it works well after I got a new AC power adapter for it (Hornady's customer service was outstanding, servicing the safe under its warranty). Besides a slew of Sentry individual pistols safes (Bio-metric, code, and Key), Gunvault (bio-metric and code w/ keys), and Stack-on smaller desktop types of safes (can hold several pistols, Code and Key), I also bought several Hornady Snap Safes.
Under the bed and in basement, 1 XXL (in bedroom), and 1 Large in basement (this one has a Goldenrod dehumidifier rod in it. Both are code and key). These hold several pistols and revolvers:

For my truck, I bought their Trunk safe (code and key), to use as secure transportation for my rifles to the range. Currently it resides in my bedroom and hold my two Marlin lever action rifles (30-30 & 45-70):

I've never seen the purpose of a handgun safe. For me. No kids at home. Not really effective against burglars.

We are in the same place. When we are home the guns are out that we might use in a home invasion. When we are gone, carry guns go with us and the rest are locked in a real vault. Most gun safes are not very safe against fire or burglars. Someone knowledgeable should do a comprehensive and detailed article here on safes and how to differentiate on quality. The same is true on doors, door locks, and security systems.

Only one kid, now grown and in California, very responsible when he was young and still at home.

We are in the same place. When we are home the guns are out that we might use in a home invasion. When we are gone, carry guns go with us and the rest are locked in a real vault. Most gun safes are not very safe against fire or burglars. Someone knowledgeable should do a comprehensive and detailed article here on safes and how to differentiate on quality. The same is true on doors, door locks, and security systems.

Only one kid, now grown and in California, very responsible when he was young and still at home.
Many people tend to be in about same boat as you and we likely do similar solutions. There's many good and not so much good online video's available on the subject already. Some are just glitzy sales pitches, while some really do show good general, helpful and valuable info too. Sorting through the info maze, like much online info, can be very tedious and sometimes very individualized for specific situations and needs.

When it comes to security, one size does not fit all scenarios. Sometimes, in the vagueness, there's very good reasons for and behind that solution too? It's likely almost and mostly intentional if thought about? Having same security system as acquaintances, friends and neighbors is many times not a good solution to security at all?

Back