testtest

The M1 Carbine: The Most Prolific American Small Arm of World War Two

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The M1 Carbine is one of the most recognizable and long-serving military firearms in the world. Though many consider it to be the anemic kid brother of the legendary M1 Garand, the carbine has its own unique story, operating features, and role.

1714189667669.png

The M1 Carbine is one of the most recognizable and long-serving military firearms in the world. Though many consider it to be the anemic kid brother of the legendary M1 Garand, the carbine has its own unique story, operating features, and role.

View attachment 56634
Wanted one of these for many years, just never found the right buy at the right time. Then one day out of the blue, I saw an advertisement for it from none other than Springfield Armory. Already being a satisfied customer of SA, I thought well this is the time ... I'm going to go for it. Got a little closer look and saw it was a CO2 replica.

Dammit I said !!!

I've had a couple of them, still have one by Winchester. had a modern version and can't remember the name. it was a pile of junk. also have a few mags 20 and 30 rounders still in their original red plastic wrappings

First semi-auto military rifle I fired as a kid. Dad's Marine buddy visited and we went and fired it. Really liked it.

In addition to the many foreign armies he mentioned, French paratroopers in Indochina loved the carbine and used it extensively.

The old “carbine, caliber .30 M1” was a heck of a lot better rifle than lots of folks believe. There are an awful lot of folks who fought America who’d testify to its effectiveness if it hadn’t taken them out😏. I too wish Springfield would bring one out. Great little rifle and more than adequate for most normal use.

I always sort of wished Springfield would offer an M1 Carbine as a shooter. You know something we could pick up just to shoot so any of the older ones folks might have that they didn’t want to wear out!

So how about it Springfield!!!!

Springfield Armory did indeed have plans to produce M1 carbines back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. If I recall correctly they had Lewis Machine and Tool (or LMT) produce 3,000 receivers with the intention of mating these with a boatload of USGI carbine parts found oversees. Unfortunately, the influx of re-imports coming back into the country around 1994 pretty much killed the project as the price point on those re-imports was not beneficial for new production carbines.

As a result, Springfield Armory liquidated their existing inventory of receivers. I bought two of them for under a hundred bucks in the late 1990's and they are of exceptional quality. I eventually built two carbines up from those receivers using new/old stock USGI barrels and parts and both of them are great shooters.

Be careful about buying USGI carbines though, they can be addicting.

M1 Carbine Collection RH0001.jpg

The M1 carbine is one of my favorite models that is still on my wish list. I would love to find a newly manufactured model so that I would actually shoot it, but for some reason it seems that the new models all have a lot of issues with reliability and quality.

It would seem that a company could take this design, and duplicate it using modern materials and manufacturing processes and come up with a model that at least equals, and hopefully surpass, those built during WWII.

I don't understand all of the problems with all of the newly produced M1s.

The M1 carbine is one of my favorite models that is still on my wish list. I would love to find a newly manufactured model so that I would actually shoot it, but for some reason it seems that the new models all have a lot of issues with reliability and quality.

It would seem that a company could take this design, and duplicate it using modern materials and manufacturing processes and come up with a model that at least equals, and hopefully surpass, those built during WWII.

Sometimes new renditions of stuff is better as Roy Huntington stated most new 1911’s are a lot better as far as more modern metallurgy and stuff as a new Camero is probably better in many ways than an old one (I know you can’t beat classic looks but beat with me and don’t be that guy)

But at the same time many many companies screw the pooch because they think they can make things cheaper and more high volume.

I’ve heard the new repo M1’s were hit and miss as far as running and it wasn’t because of magazines!

You can still find original USGI carbines in the same price range as newly manufactured ones. There is nothing wrong with shooting original USGI carbines as M1 carbines are pretty much over-engineered for the .30 carbine round it shoots, and all U.S. made ammo was always manufactured with non-corrosive primers you don't see worn and pitted barrels in carbines like you do with other USGI firearms made during the period.

Heck, I shoot my original carbines all the time.

TEST 7.jpg

I love the M1 Carbine and have two of them. A Standard Products that I picked up years ago before prices went plumb crazy. I also have an Inland that I got from CMP a few years back when they had some.
For an urban CQB rifle, I prefer it to an AR. For me it just handles better and the .30 Carbine round is effective without as much danger to neighbors.
With that in mind, I brought the Standard Products gun into the 21st century. :oops:

Don't freak out. No permanent changes there. I have all the parts and I can return it to original in about half an hour. ;)
BTW: The Inland is still just like Uncle Sam issued them. (y)

Last edited:
Back