testtest

THE ONE-CARTRIDGE HOBBY: .357 MAGNUM

Love the .357...158gr coated SWC's loaded on the mild side for plinking, 140gr Barnes X loaded hot for hunting, 125gr XTP's loaded nuclear for real fun at the range.

I’ve got 158gr & 180gr XTP loads for my carbine, as well.

I’ve also got a few hundred rounds of the classic Remington 125gr SJHP loaded fairly hot for emergency defensive use, as well. Came close to having to use them during the last shortage...

I think a good rifle in .357 would be fun to have, and probably good for hunting. It would get back to the carbines of old, where the cowboy shot the same 45LC in his revolver and his rifle. If I ever recover financially from the COVID-19 crisis, I would love one of those Henry lever actions in .357, and a good Ruger Redhawk pistol to go with it - don't think I would have the patience for reloading a single action pistol, haha.

I think a good rifle in .357 would be fun to have, and probably good for hunting. It would get back to the carbines of old, where the cowboy shot the same 45LC in his revolver and his rifle. If I ever recover financially from the COVID-19 crisis, I would love one of those Henry lever actions in .357, and a good Ruger Redhawk pistol to go with it - don't think I would have the patience for reloading a single action pistol, haha.

Ruger makes a 9mm/.357 convertible Blackhawk. Would be a good option since you swap out cylinders to use either cartridge.

Love those .357 Magnums. Still have the Dan Wesson I carried as a duty weapon while my old S&W Model 19 now resides in Alaska. My daughter-in-law carries it as her woods gun. Also still have my Marlin lever .357 Mag that has killed a bunch of Michigan Whitetail deer. Also nice to have the option of the milder .38 Spl.

Just my opinion: the .357 Magnum revolver is our most versatile cartridge and handgun. My favorite is the 1911-A1 .45 Auto. But for versatility, the .357 Mag has few competitors.

BTW, we've all read or heard it: "If I could own only one handgun..." Well, if I could own only one handgun, it would be a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto. Versatility is a nice amenity. But when it comes to saving my loved ones' lives and my life, I don't want versatility. I want perfection for specific application. But that's merely how I see it.

UUmmm I think you mean the 44-40 round that they used in both the rifle and their six gun. :) The 45 LC was never chambered in any of the old rifles.

UUmmm I think you mean the 44-40 round that they used in both the rifle and their six gun. :) The 45 LC was never chambered in any of the old rifles.

Yes, I misspoke. In fact, the .38-40 cartridge used by my Winchester 1873 was introduced as a rifle cartridge by Winchester, but quickly adopted as a handgun cartridge as well. I am not sure anyone knows why they developed the .38-40, versus the already existing .44-40. It is a cartridge that made little sense, unless you just needed something that shot slightly softer in the Winchester rifles...

Back