testtest

The Reloading Bench

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
The staff is watching to see if any new ideas are floated for additional areas to the forum.
I'd like to see a Reloader's Zone or such. Discuss equipment and such. Place for the hand
loaders to gather. Maybe even entice a few shooters to start loading.
one year.jpg

The staff is watching to see if any new ideas are floated for additional areas to the forum.
I'd like to see a Reloader's Zone or such. Discuss equipment and such. Place for the hand
loaders to gather. Maybe even entice a few shooters to start loading.
View attachment 192

This is something I would like to get into and don't know much about. I own several handguns and rifles whose rounds are somewhat expensive to buy (338 Lapua, 50AE, 50 Beowulf, 458 Socom, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 Spec, 450 Bushmaster, 454 Casul, have I missed any :unsure:). I also think it would be a great hobby to take up in my retired life.

This is something I would like to get into and don't know much about. I own several handguns and rifles whose rounds are somewhat expensive to buy (338 Lapua, 50AE, 50 Beowulf, 458 Socom, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 Spec, 450 Bushmaster, 454 Casul, have I missed any :unsure:). I also think it would be a great hobby to take up in my retired life.
I find that on those high end rounds that I can save 80% on the cost per round. I on the other hand don't save any money because I'll shoot 5 times as much. That is a good thing!!
I do load 9mm and save maybe $70 per 1K..... for the time and effort my labor is maybe 25¢ an hour. :LOL: Loading them I can try a lot of different bullets and powders to see what works best for me and my weapon.
Retired I like the quiet time. You'll never get a DUI exercising your arm reloading!! :ROFLMAO:

I find that on those high end rounds that I can save 80% on the cost per round. I on the other hand don't save any money because I'll shoot 5 times as much. That is a good thing!!
I do load 9mm and save maybe $70 per 1K..... for the time and effort my labor is maybe 25¢ an hour. :LOL: Loading them I can try a lot of different bullets and powders to see what works best for me and my weapon.
Retired I like the quiet time. You'll never get a DUI exercising your arm reloading!! :ROFLMAO:
I don't have to worry about DUI's SMSgtRod, as I was also forced to retire from drinking :cry:

9mm & 45ACP for me, may add .380. Still feeling like a novice after a little over a year reloading, so thinking about loading 308 for my M1A makes me super nervous! ;-)
If you check, double check and use safety you'll be fine. Start loading empty rounds no powder and primers and check the function of your gun! Staying with published load information in the low middle too middle of powder charge and work up.

I got broke in a bit for it with my 357SIG loading. It's a necked cartridge.
Have to do the lube activity.
This weekend I'll be loading some of my first 308's for my 300 Black Out.
Issue I have is I have some flat based bullets as opposed to boat tails. Bought a flaring
tool for the case mouth. I'll load them up on the low to mid range to see how they do Monday.
Also have the Sabots to load up some 224 bullets for my 300 Black Out. To shoot those I'll
have to remove the compensator as Sabots don't do well going through it. Can get stuck and
become an obstruction which we all know is not good anywhere along the length of a barrel.

I got broke in a bit for it with my 357SIG loading. It's a necked cartridge.
Have to do the lube activity.
This weekend I'll be loading some of my first 308's for my 300 Black Out.
Issue I have is I have some flat based bullets as opposed to boat tails. Bought a flaring
tool for the case mouth. I'll load them up on the low to mid range to see how they do Monday.
Also have the Sabots to load up some 224 bullets for my 300 Black Out. To shoot those I'll
have to remove the compensator as Sabots don't do well going through it. Can get stuck and
become an obstruction which we all know is not good anywhere along the length of a barrel.
I did a 2 or 3 turns with the chamfer on the mouth for the flat base that I just reloaded and took my time. I didn't crush any cases on the 300bo. Didn't need an flare.

You can work up .2gr at a time and when you get within 1gr of max go by .1gr and always look for over pressure signs. The primers popping, case splitting or any other non standard issues.
Right. Ingrained (no pun intended... well maybe a little ;-)) on the "start low and work up slowly" approach. It's the dealing with necked cartridges, trimming, etc., that I haven't done before. And then of course buying the dies, shell plates, feed adapters, etc., for the Dillon 650 when I don't shoot my M1A nearly enough. Harder to justify.

Also, finding a range around here in the PacNW that has a decent set of longer distance areas to shoot and that aren't just flat out open to weather... well, as I'm getting older I realize that cold weather & rain affects me much more than it used to. ;)

Right. Ingrained (no pun intended... well maybe a little ;-)) on the "start low and work up slowly" approach. It's the dealing with necked cartridges, trimming, etc., that I haven't done before. And then of course buying the dies, shell plates, feed adapters, etc., for the Dillon 650 when I don't shoot my M1A nearly enough. Harder to justify.

Also, finding a range around here in the PacNW that has a decent set of longer distance areas to shoot and that aren't just flat out open to weather... well, as I'm getting older I realize that cold weather & rain affects me much more than it used to. ;)
Try Lyman "Express Trimmer" it has been good for me and more accurate than Hornady manual trimmer, it's too eccentric. The only thing is that's for bottle neck cases only, no straight wall as of yet!

So why not keep it simple with a single stage Rock Chucker or a Lyman Turret press.

I’m interrupting my reloading to post this.
I load 380 ACP, 9mm, 357 Mag (with 38 Spl loads), 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 300 Blackout.
I have dies to load 458 SOCOM, but no materials or cases to do so...just getting ready.
I have a Hornady Lock & Load Classic single stage, and a Lyman All American 8 turret press.
Favorite powder is VV N320, but since I can’t find it in stock my GoTo is HP-38.

Back