testtest

Thoughts on 25 acp???

Dadavis93

Operator
25 acp is one of the few rounds I can get easily in my area ive been debating getting one for practice but I have heard that as a self defense round they are useless has anyone had any experience with 25acp have they made any rounds recently that could boost the performance of the caliber to make it viable?

You didn't say if this will be your first handgun or if you currently have a carry gun.
IMO in these times if you are only interested in practicing I would get a pellet gun that resembles whatever you normally carry and practice at home.
There are some exact replicas with size and weight.
I used a Crosman 38c CO2 revolver when I first started shooting and it helped with muscle memory and sight alignment plus it saved a bunch of money on ammo at the range.
I'm going to get one that resembles my MOD-2 when I find one.
But as others have said any gun is better than none.

You didn't say if this will be your first handgun or if you currently have a carry gun.
IMO in these times if you are only interested in practicing I would get a pellet gun that resembles whatever you normally carry and practice at home.
I used a Crosman 38c CO2 revolver when I first started shooting and it helped with muscle memory and sight alignment plus it saved a bunch of money on ammo at the range.
Great advice Wirenut. I bought the Sig P320 pellet CO2 pistol and it looks and feels like my "real" P320's I own.

I bought this one 40 years ago.
It is the exact weight and size of a S&W model 15.
The Air Force used to train their pilots with this one.

2011_0209airagain0010.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

I've become more curious about the 25 acp recently because I can still find ammo in stores and even order it online through several of the big box chains. Paul Harrell did a good video on 25 acp a few years back. In this market, if I could find a 25 acp from a reputable company I would be tempted to purchase it. The only one's I've seen are from Phoenix Arms, and the designs don't really appeal to me.

I'd take a .22 everyday all day before a .25acp. Most .25acp I've been familiar with are just poorly designed in the past. I've seen no newer models because I've not even attempted to look. Back in the 90's i was looking and between the Beretta .22 and .25acp I was steered hard to the .22 by my very trusted LGS. He said that most of the 25acp's were troublesome but he had sold many of the .22lr and they seem to run good.

That is all I have, the wife at the time liked it and it never failed to fire once.

I'd take a .22 everyday all day before a .25acp. Most .25acp I've been familiar with are just poorly designed in the past. I've seen no newer models because I've not even attempted to look. Back in the 90's i was looking and between the Beretta .22 and .25acp I was steered hard to the .22 by my very trusted LGS. He said that most of the 25acp's were troublesome but he had sold many of the .22lr and they seem to run good.

That is all I have, the wife at the time liked it and it never failed to fire once.

You need to watch the Paul Harrell You Tube video that wmg1299 recommended. It will change your mind.

LGS counter employees are not always a good source of information on serious social situations. While there are a few, and very few, knowledgeable and experienced folks in gun stores, most of the time they are the actual owners. One gun store I frequent has an employee who is a wealth of knowledge about older military and antique weapons and is a legitimate expert regarding those firearms. He was also a high school trapshooting champion. When it comes to close quarters combat however, he is all hat and no cattle. I know another store owner who carries a pretty large selection of some of the finest bolt action hunting rifles you could buy, but has only been on one elk hunt in his life. Yet people listen to his suggestions like he was Jack O'Conner.

Many read lots of books and articles for information. However not all articles or books are written by experienced and knowledgeable people; that is especially true when it comes to civilian self protection. Part of the problem is there just aren't that many people with real experience in these types of situations, and fewer who are willing to write about their experiences and resultant expertise. The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center has a specialized course for Agents and Officers who are going to be in situations similar to what civilians are going to encounter and they have real difficulty in recruiting expert trainers in this area. Is it any wonder that the average gun store clerk is not a good source of information regarding close quarters combat?

Enough of my rant.

25 acp is one of the few rounds I can get easily in my area ive been debating getting one for practice but I have heard that as a self defense round they are useless has anyone had any experience with 25acp have they made any rounds recently that could boost the performance of the caliber to make it viable?
Would you want to risk your survival on a .25 ACP?

Would you want to risk your survival on a .25 ACP?

I don't think anyone would recommend a .25 ACP as a primary defense choice. However, I, when on the job, carried a .25 ACP in a groin holster all the time, and in certain situations it was the only gun I could reasonably carry without it being found. (That did not mean I wouldn't rather of had a .45 ACP instead.) In one situation, it did the job - one shot, one stop. The only reason I stopped carrying it was because Seecamp came out with a .380 ACP the same size as the 25 ACP but I was also long off the job.

If I carry a North American Arms in .22LR in my swim suit it doesn't mean I believe it to be a better weapon than a .25ACP. It isn't - it is just smaller and more likely to function after being under water. Believe me, I would rather have an XDs .45ACP or a Hellcat (or Boberg) 9mm with the newer loads as a primary gun in a serious social situation, but I also have a great deal of respect for a Seecamp or Beretta .25 ACP as a solution to a serious social situation.

I have multiple firearms that I carry in various sizes and I also have a replica 1911 by gun I use for practice was wanting something a little larger than a 22lr

I've become more curious about the 25 acp recently because I can still find ammo in stores and even order it online through several of the big box chains. Paul Harrell did a good video on 25 acp a few years back. In this market, if I could find a 25 acp from a reputable company I would be tempted to purchase it. The only one's I've seen are from Phoenix Arms, and the designs don't really appeal to me.
Thats why I was asking no one really uses it so its easy to find and i try to train every weekend but I don't know if I want to drop the cash so I wanted other opinions

Back