testtest

Trigger Safety

Tx ANG

Alpha
Is it just me or does anyone else not care for the feel of the "Glock style" trigger safety? Not counting rifles and shotguns, I have been shooting Colt, Ruger, and S&W revolvers and Glocks, Colt 1911s, M&Ps, Sigs, and SAs through the past 50 years so I do have a little experience with different trigger types. I'm interested in how others feel about this.

I dont care for them. However, when one is using and not just critiquing they work well.
For example: I was taking a pistol class with a borrowed 1911. I only had one extra mag and we were practicing advancing and retreating. Two steps into the retreat I ran dry. It was at this point the instructor next to me decided to do a hot swap with his G19. Being I was close enough to see where my rounds were impacting I continued the evolution keeping all rounds on target.

It all boils down to muscle memory and one's ability to adapt

I think the factory Glock triggers feel stiff and spongy. But the G32C is still pretty accurate. Like Classified said, muscle memory is where it matters. So that's where training comes into play. I like the triggers on my XDm's much better.
A little bit of polishing on the trigger bar takes out the spongyness. I recommend a bronze brush on a dremel.

I have a Glock G42-a Savage 93FV-and a Ruger RPR .22 that all have the trigger safety and the only one I have a problem with is the Savage-finger has to be exactly in the middle or misfire's happen.

I think the factory Glock triggers feel stiff and spongy. But the G32C is still pretty accurate. Like Classified said, muscle memory is where it matters. So that's where training comes into play. I like the triggers on my XDm's much better.
My gen5 g19 has a real smooth trigger, not gritty or anything, now on the older generation of glocks, yea, triggers weren’t that smooth.

Last edited:
I’m ok with it. I swapped it out with an Apex trigger which also has the same Glock “style” trigger. The Glock trigger safety “tab” is so inapplicable in terms of poundage that pressing the trigger it doesn’t affect me in shooting the pistol, as it is only a safety. Just like griping a Springfield XD, with the grip safety. I don’t remove my finger, when shooting at the range for precision so in that aspect it doesn’t bother me.

I have shot many more firearms of all kinds that didn't have the little safety tab in the trigger. With that said , I pay no mind to the safety tab in the firearms I have that have the tab.

They are a little less comfortable but the bigger issue is they give a false sense of being some kind of safety. Saftey against what specific dangers? If there is enough cloth caught in the trigger guard to pull the trigger it is probably enough to depress the safety bar. If your finger is in the trigger guard it will depress the safety bar so just what is the scenario that it safes against? They should have put the grip safety or a manual safety for those that want some additional protection against an accidental discharge.

I have read the pros and cons on manual safeties but they fail to take into account probability of events in their analysis. Yes, if you fail to train to reflexively unsafe as you are drawing the weapon, then in a heated moment you might not when you needed to be able to shoot quickly. However, the probability of being in this type of event unless it is your job is very low while the probability of having an accidental discharge when re-holstering at a range or while practicing is much higher. Even though I have only been on this forum a short time I have seen more accounts of AD & ND than of having an encounter with a bad guy where split seconds counted. I would love to hear from more experienced hands how the trigger safety makes the gun actually safer and that I am wrong about the probability of the events as described being a factor.

They are a little less comfortable but the bigger issue is they give a false sense of being some kind of safety. Saftey against what specific dangers? If there is enough cloth caught in the trigger guard to pull the trigger it is probably enough to depress the safety bar. If your finger is in the trigger guard it will depress the safety bar so just what is the scenario that it safes against? They should have put the grip safety or a manual safety for those that want some additional protection against an accidental discharge.

I have read the pros and cons on manual safeties but they fail to take into account probability of events in their analysis. Yes, if you fail to train to reflexively unsafe as you are drawing the weapon, then in a heated moment you might not when you needed to be able to shoot quickly. However, the probability of being in this type of event unless it is your job is very low while the probability of having an accidental discharge when re-holstering at a range or while practicing is much higher. Even though I have only been on this forum a short time I have seen more accounts of AD & ND than of having an encounter with a bad guy where split seconds counted. I would love to hear from more experienced hands how the trigger safety makes the gun actually safer and that I am wrong about the probability of the events as described being a factor.

I've never had an AD or ND.

...kinda how it was designed, I suppose. Proper grip and use, it's invisible. Something hooking it from the side - i.e. clothing bunch - and it shouldn't activate the safety lever.

Try it (in a DRY FIRE situation!) - put your finger on it 'wrong'. Angle it into the guard, kinda poke at the trigger instead of proper use. Flip your finger from the guard to the grip, as if your hand was sliding back along the gun. Use a towel and wipe down the side of the gun, with enough of a bunch in the fabric to get into the guard and to the trigger. 9 out of 10 of those, won't activate the trigger safety...but if there were no safety blade, the trigger could probably get pulled.

I think you—and a lot of people—are forgetting what that “trigger dingus” safety is actually for:

It’s a drop safety. Nothing more. All it does is prevents the trigger from getting enough momentum in a drop to discharge.

It’s not there to prevent the trigger from being pressed...by anything; fingers, clothing, holsters...

If you keep that in mind, and treat the pistol as such, you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
...kinda how it was designed, I suppose. Proper grip and use, it's invisible. Something hooking it from the side - i.e. clothing bunch - and it shouldn't activate the safety lever.

Try it (in a DRY FIRE situation!) - put your finger on it 'wrong'. Angle it into the guard, kinda poke at the trigger instead of proper use. Flip your finger from the guard to the grip, as if your hand was sliding back along the gun. Use a towel and wipe down the side of the gun, with enough of a bunch in the fabric to get into the guard and to the trigger. 9 out of 10 of those, won't activate the trigger safety...but if there were no safety blade, the trigger could probably get pulled.
When I first started buying and shooting my Springfield handguns I focused on the trigger intentionally pulling the trigger ensuring the trigger safety was not engaged and it never fired, not once.

Back