testtest

Using a Slug Gun

Illinois being Illinois, if we choose to hunt deer here, rifles are verboten. My choice is a 20 gauge or a .44 magnum handgun in handgun season. Both do the job within 50-100 yards. I really don't see the need for a 12 gauge unless it is all you have if you are not pheasant hunting or shooting clays.

The southern half of MN is slug/handgun only (may go straightwall cartridge rifle in the near future, hopefully); hunted with a slug gun for many years, then switched to handgun.

Personally, my favorite slug gun now is an H&R single shot 20ga, rifled barrel with a Tasco Propoint (made by Aimpoint). It's light, and I’ve found follow-ups are rarely needed. Good to 150 yards, easy, using sabots, and 20ga shoots flatter with less recoil but is just as effective as 12ga.

Other than that, I'll either run the 7.5” 657 .41 or the 6” 28-2 .357 if I’m hunting someplace where my longest shot is 50 yards or under.

When I was a kid in PA the out-of-state hunters from Ohio & NY that had hunting cabins next to ours brought their high powered rifles to hunt deer since they could only use shotguns in their states. I know some of that has moderated.

At the time thought that was heresy to be limited to shotgun, but later realized the reasons why. I think that was the beginning of my pro-2A position as a kid.

Fortunately now I'm out West in an area where using a shotgun to hunt big game really isn't practical.

Back