testtest

Velocity, Distance and what your minimum regarding both

When I reload for specific barrel length and figure out exactly what I want it for? My distances are up to 0-300, 0-500, 0-1,000 and 1,000+. Getting the right tool for the job as it goes. Caliber, cartridge, barrel length, bullet weight and expected velocity for each. Barrel lengths from 8.5" - 32" and cartridge range from 556 - 45/70. I limit the 300+ range with a minimum of 2,700fps(just my choice) for as little drop as possible. What and how do you decide on your parameters?

Hunting:
I use a Ruger Super Blackhawk, 7 1/2 inch barrel, in 44 Magnum out to 50 yards (300 grains/1200fps).
I use a Winchester Model 94 loaded with 44 Magnum out to 75 yards (same as above). I have never tested the velocity out of this carbine length barrel.
I use a Remington Model Seven in 7mm08 Remington out to 300 yards on light/medium game (160 grains/2600 fps).
I use a Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Remington Magnum on most North American game out to 300 yards (160 grains/2900 fps).
I use either a Ruger Number 1 or Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 375 H&H out to 300 yards on rats, snakes, crows, deer and pretty much anything else that is foolish enough to walk past me (300 grain Gameking/2550 fps).

Do you see a common theme?
300 yards is my max rested hunting range.

Fun:
Now, if we are talking about steel or anything else...the horizon is the limit using the exact same loads.
Remember, I didn't say I was hitting horizon targets all the time.

My standard zero (regardless of barrel length) is 200 yds (98% of my rifle cartridges) except for the inherently closer-range cartridges like the 45/70, PCCs & 30/30 which are either 100/50 yds.

I forgot to add:
You asked about minimums. I have found that in virtually all of my firearms, the barrels have liked bullets on the "heavy" side. As far as velocities go, the same applies for powder charges. I have exceeded normal loads accidentally and had to back off with the 7mm08 but have found, generally speaking, everything prefers full charges. I have yet to find any of my firearms that preferred "light" charges with either standard or heavy bullets. None of them seems to do well with light projectiles.
I also forgot the 357 Magnum King Colt. It too wants 140+ grain bullets at full velocity.
The 45ACPs get a regular diet of 230 grain bullets at about 850fps.

Even my Thompson Center Hawken prefers the 245 grain Maxiball with 70 grains of FFFg powder.
If you want something that shoots softly, get a 44 Special or 38 Special.

In most of the heaviest bullets per cartridge I go the next cartridge up in capacity(308win to 300mag) for example. Zero range varies with cartridge since I have a lot of range(2 mile+) to work with. The heaviest bullet per barrel length @ 2,700fps for my minimum if possible? 556 90gr I go up to 6mm for example. Even though the possibility the bullet per cartridge going the extended range will get there or intended use it's just my preference. Recoil, barrel life and/or cost(to a point) per cartridge at todays prices have no impact on decisions(338LM being the most costly).

Back