testtest

VZ 52/57

Recusant

Hellcat
Here's a rifle that was imported by Century Arms back in the day. These started out as the VZ 52 that was chambered for the 7.62 X 45, but with pressure from the Soviet Union they were rechambered for the 7.62 X 39 and re-designated as the VZ 52/57. These rifles were given new barrels with chrome lined bores as well as a different magazine. I'm not sure if this was done by the Czechs or after they arrived here, but some were converted by fitting an insert into the chamber, because 7.62 X 45 ammo was expensive as well as almost impossible to find. This rifle was done in 1958 and notice from the picture that the Czech conversations have a pin that was installed that locks the new barrel to the receiver. Other conversations don't have this pin.

http://milsurpcollector.com/31.html
CZ 52-57e.jpg

CZ 52-57c.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

CZ 52-57d.JPG

Cool rifle...love the rear sight elevation adjustment clicks. And that BBQ spit on the end. I had not seen this model before...looks like a "take" on the SKS, back when China was begging Russia for the rights to make them. Condition looks pretty collectable to me...is that yours Recusant?

I got it back in the early 90's when Century imported a bunch, and it is in like- new condition. In fact, I don't believe I've ever even shot it. The Czech's gave most of their stock to other Soviet allies after the VZ 58 became their main rifle. I think Cuba got a boatload which they dispensed to countries in Africa. I've heard the rumor that some that were captured in Grenada may have found their way back to the U.S.

Well, it looks pretty damn cool. I'd been thinking of buying an SKS (and then getting into AK's as Fudds like me tend to do), and your pics piqued my interest. The only SKS's I've seen locally are well-worn-out pieced-together from multiple guns for $1500...I might have to pass given the current cost of milsurps like these. Your VZ appears to be a fantastic specimen. I'd shoot it if I were you! At least a mag or two...

I feel your pain! Unfortunately, at this point there is little surplus stuff coming into the country. Royal Tiger Imports has brought in a lot of neat stuff from Ethiopia. If you're not familiar with them check them out.

The Czechs never got on board with Mother Russia's demand to standardize weaponry. This was as close as they were going to come to a SKS.

Another example, the Czechs never produced an AK…but the made the VZ.58 which is arguably a superior rifle (and definitely higher quality than most AK's).

Then there were their handguns—the CZ52 in 7.62x25 (instead of a TT33 Tokarev copy), the CZ82 in 9x18 instead of a Makarov copy…as well as going completely off the reservation with 9x19 for the CZ75…

Let's not even mention the VZ.62 Skorpion in .32 ACP (7.65)…

Back