testtest

Wasp or Romeo Zero?

Tgunz64

Operator
Recently bought the new xdm elite 10mm 3.8 and moved the dragonfly over to a different gun. For a better ccw optic would you guys go wasp or zero? Wasp is $269 at optics planet but on back order. Can stop by the local store today and get a zero. In no hurry but is the wasp worth the extra $70?

Recently bought the new xdm elite 10mm 3.8 and moved the dragonfly over to a different gun. For a better ccw optic would you guys go wasp or zero? Wasp is $269 at optics planet but on back order. Can stop by the local store today and get a zero. In no hurry but is the wasp worth the extra $70?
If it's for conceal the zero would be more imprintable. Other than that nothing wrong with the either.

Chose the HEX Wasp for the construction differences. It's never had any issues on this end with daily use. Has glass lens verses plastic. Plastic in time can oxidize or fog over, is a common ailment inherent in some plastics. Imagine possibly polishing that dinky lens out in the future like headlight lenses? - Not me. Look at some older vehicle headlight lenses for example? Glass doesn't normally have that issue.

Same with housing. HEX Wasp uses aircraft grade aluminum verses Romeo Zero's polymer or plastic housing. Both can be very durable and less maintenance if and when possibly needed. Some is a balancing act on variables. Some isn't, battery placement sounds to be about the same.

With plastics, sometimes is anyone's guess down the road possibly effecting durability or care? More natural products like aluminum and glass tend to be more stable and likely more biodegradable or recyclable too.

Regardless, am thinking both are likely very good choices for the here and now though. HEX Wasp was a personal choice in this direction by what known. It hasn't let me down. There are some other differences noted in reviews listed below. Good luck with either you may choose.

For a review of Romeo Zero when 1st came out:

A HEX Wasp review:

Just that it sits higher and you can’t use the regular sights as back up if need be. The wasp sits lower with notches in the back for lining up sights.
Just curious ... I thought the wasp has different mount holes which requires a plate to mount it on the xdm moving it up higher. I don't know if the sights will be useable or not.

I'm guessing the zero might have the same problem.

Just curious ... I thought the wasp has different mount holes which requires a plate to mount it on the xdm moving it up higher. I don't know if the sights will be useable or not.

I'm guessing the zero might have the same problem.
yes you need a plate for it. You need a plate for any optic you attach I believe. Mine came with the dragonfly plate. And if you go to a link you can also redeem a free plate. So I have 2 different plates now for more options.

yes you need a plate for it. You need a plate for any optic you attach I believe. Mine came with the dragonfly plate. And if you go to a link you can also redeem a free plate. So I have 2 different plates now for more options.

I think this would work for you if you wanted to scale down to a Wasp/Rmrc

But what the OP is looking for is to be able to use the gun's sights as backup. I thought I read in previous threads that the standard sights will not co-exist with any of these RDS, even though they sit lower than the Dragonfly because the plates make then sit too high for the sights.

But what the OP is looking for is to be able to use the gun's sights as backup. I thought I read in previous threads that the standard sights will not co-exist with any of these RDS, even though they sit lower than the Dragonfly because the plates make then sit too high for the sights.
I dont have an XDM Elite, but you would think you would get some co witness with out suppress height sights. Wasp picture attached With rear sight notches.
EFD504EC-6012-4119-87E5-9D4BA0CC2D6F.jpeg

Read HEX Wasp and Dragonfly are different footprints. To cowitness you likely should get all MFG's footprint and thickness specs before ordering to help ensure cowitness and proper fit. Foot pound specs for adapter may be different than optics too. Also remember to check for proper screw length with and w/o adapter to avoid possible malfunctions. Too long or short of screws could lead to issues.

Good advice. But I already own both plates for the dragonfly and wasp. So that’s no issue there. But yes maybe I should look up the MFG specs and gauge the plate thickness and gauge my sight heights as well.

Back