testtest

Wasp red dot sight

I was all ready to buy this for my Hellcat but found out that it doesn't feature auto on/auto off, that was a deal breaker. So it stays burning if I don't use/carry it for a few days and also if I put it in the safe for a month or so. This is disappointing.

I was all ready to buy this for my Hellcat but found out that it doesn't feature auto on/auto off, that was a deal breaker. So it stays burning if I don't use/carry it for a few days and also if I put it in the safe for a month or so. This is disappointing.
Battery life is supposed to be 2 years, even with always on. That’s not too bad...

For prolonged storage just pull the battery out. Is only 2 screws holding it down.

Too many other options with auto on/off.
Another option, possibly another fail too? - Unfortunately, Murphy's law is alive and doing very well?

Considering Wasp's two year battery life is much better and longer than average smoke detector or wall clocks battery lifespan? (Although would sometimes really like an on/off switch on average battery operated wall clock sometimes, it ain't happening tomorrow and likely wouldn't really stop time either? - Darn it! :) Another point is many things are actually always on even when supposedly shut off? TV's, computers and many vehicles electronics sometimes never actually shut off, they're in standby mode.

Am not really pro or con, but point is many things are also considered "dead" because of one switch or another failing when rest of product is sometimes usable. With micro electronics being so tiny, on top of this typical throw away society, most malfunctions are either deemed unrepairable or are actually unrepairable.

Like with many things and sometimes too many things, one less electronic option, can also mean one less fail? - We may understand and appreciate that better when drivers side window fails to go down at next drive through whatever place or windows don't roll down when vehicles power's dead or switched off? Although the expressions of people walking up to drive throughs are sometimes priceless? :) - At least for now, there are choices which are usually good ones.

Another option, possibly another fail too? - Unfortunately, Murphy's law is alive and doing very well?

Considering Wasp's two year battery life is much better and longer than average smoke detector or wall clocks battery lifespan? (Although would sometimes really like an on/off switch on average battery operated wall clock sometimes, it ain't happening tomorrow and likely wouldn't really stop time either? - Darn it! :) Another point is many things are actually always on even when supposedly shut off? TV's, computers and many vehicles electronics sometimes never actually shut off, they're in standby mode.

Am not really pro or con, but point is many things are also considered "dead" because of one switch or another failing when rest of product is sometimes usable. With micro electronics being so tiny, on top of this typical throw away society, most malfunctions are either deemed unrepairable or are actually unrepairable.

Like with many things and sometimes too many things, one less electronic option, can also mean one less fail? - We may understand and appreciate that better when drivers side window fails to go down at next drive through whatever place or windows don't roll down when vehicles power's dead or switched off? Although the expressions of people walking up to drive throughs are sometimes priceless? :) - At least for now, there are choices which are usually good ones.

I would rather change a battery every 18 months then have it fail when needed. Besides if it is your carry gun, every time you put it on, you can check and make sure it is on and working with no effort at all.

Too many other options with auto on/off.
Not too many that will work with the Hellcat though. And even fewer if you want 100% co-witnessing.
And just something to consider is that we typically change out the batteries in our smoke and CO2 detectors, key fobs, etc, even batteries in our cordless/cell phones in some cases every year. It's not a big job and will undoubtedly ensure fresh batteries on equipment where it's important.

Here's just a tip: When I first installed my Shield SMSc on my Hellcat, I installed the screws to whatever the recommended torque value was, ensured it was sighted to my liking, then added a tiny white reference dot across the screw to the mount. Since then I've had to remove the red dot twice. But when reinstalling it, I simply re-torqued to the recommended value (9" lbs IIRC) and then moved the screws just till the tiny white dots realigned. Checked the red dot sight alignment with the Hellcat's irons with a chamber laser and it was right where it should have been.

It was really that simple and quick. Even replacing the battery every year is a simple and cost/time worthy job. (y)(y)(y)

Not too many that will work with the Hellcat though. And even fewer if you want 100% co-witnessing.
And just something to consider is that we typically change out the batteries in our smoke and CO2 detectors, key fobs, etc, even batteries in our cordless/cell phones in some cases every year. It's not a big job and will undoubtedly ensure fresh batteries on equipment where it's important.

Here's just a tip: When I first installed my Shield SMSc on my Hellcat, I installed the screws to whatever the recommended torque value was, ensured it was sighted to my liking, then added a tiny white reference dot across the screw to the mount. Since then I've had to remove the red dot twice. But when reinstalling it, I simply re-torqued to the recommended value (9" lbs IIRC) and then moved the screws just till the tiny white dots realigned. Checked the red dot sight alignment with the Hellcat's irons with a chamber laser and it was right where it should have been.

It was really that simple and quick. Even replacing the battery every year is a simple and cost/time worthy job. (y)(y)(y)
Very good tip on the alignment marks Jumpinjoe, thanks!

I would rather change a battery every 18 months then have it fail when needed. Besides if it is your carry gun, every time you put it on, you can check and make sure it is on and working with no effort at all.
I'd have no issues changing a battery once a year but this optic seems a lesser option compared to others that have the auto on/off feature. The technology is evidently available and just seems like they maybe went the cheaper route. Optics with that feature when touched or moved can also be checked to verify that they are on and working.

I agree with that, just this optic if not in use just keeps running unless battery is pulled or runs dead. So if it were to put in a safe for a period of time while carrying something else it's just keeps burning in there. I may not wanna pull the battery every week. My point is it just seems pointless for it to just keep burning while not in use when the auto on/off tech is available.

Sorry for harping on this, just disappointed. Moving along.

Sooo you're saying the Wasp is more reliable and less prone to failure? It hasn't been available long enough for any track record.
No, not necessarily that. - Just one less thing to possibly go wrong is all. Wasp not available long for testing? Most if not all optics have been very rigorously tested before public release. I'd strongly suspect SA did the same. If they do go bad w/o being abused? Am sure SA will stand behind them.

My choice and why think that way? Have pitched too many electronics because they either can't be fixed or can't find replacement parts for bad mechanical switches in the past. Simply put, one more set of contacts, one more chance at failing. Likely all good products while working. But, if looking for certain features like co witnessing, not all do. If that's not important to someone? Doesn't really matter too much then? Same with glass lenses verses polymer or aluminum verse plastic housings. For the comparable overall value, I think Hex Wasp is likely the best featurewise from what have seen. But, is only from my comparisons, opinion and experience, not gospel. It's what I'd choose given the choice is all.

No, not necessarily that. - Just one less thing to possibly go wrong is all. Wasp not available long for testing? Most if not all optics have been very rigorously tested before public release. I'd strongly suspect SA did the same. If they do go bad w/o being abused? Am sure SA will stand behind them.

My choice and why think that way? Have pitched too many electronics because they either can't be fixed or can't find replacement parts for bad mechanical switches in the past. Simply put, one more set of contacts, one more chance at failing. Likely all good products while working. But, if looking for certain features like co witnessing, not all do. If that's not important to someone? Doesn't really matter too much then? Same with glass lenses verses polymer or aluminum verse plastic housings. For the comparable overall value, I think Hex Wasp is likely the best featurewise from what have seen. But, is only from my comparisons, opinion and experience, not gospel. It's what I'd choose given the choice is all.
Oh out of all the micro optics available for this Hellcat (and XD-S mod2) physically I like this Wasp more than any other, that's why I'm so disappointed they didn't take it to the next level with the auto on/off feature.

Here’s an example of a reflex RDS with an auto off feature. A highly thought of one. This lasts 150 hours on the highest setting and 30,000 hours at the lowest setting.

The Hex Wasp lasts 65,000 hours on the lowest setting with an average life of 2 years.

Here’s another with auto off. Battery life - 5,000 hours.

One more. Shake awake feature. Battery life 50,000 hours.

Seems like the Hex Wasp has a better battery life than all these, even though it is on all the time.

Just sayin’

Back