testtest

Way of the dinosaurs……..

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
I’ve been watching the past couple years the new pistol release’s, except for the 1911, there are really no new metal frame pistols being released, now S&W did this year with the CSX, but that’s about it, so does this mean metal frame pistols are going the way the dinosaurs went….. new releases I am referring to, polymers are great, but I love the old metal frames….🤔🤔🤔🤔

I’ve been watching the past couple years the new pistol release’s, except for the 1911, there are really no new metal frame pistols being released, now S&W did this year with the CSX, but that’s about it, so does this mean metal frame pistols are going the way the dinosaurs went….. new releases I am referring to, polymers are great, but I love the old metal frames….🤔🤔🤔🤔
Well, Armscor introduced the STK100 Aluminum Frame Striker Fired 9mm Pistol recently. There was a poster on here that posted that they had trouble with theirs though.

Well, Armscor introduced the STK100 Aluminum Frame Striker Fired 9mm Pistol recently. There was a poster on here that posted that they had trouble with theirs though.

Forgot that one…..😵‍💫

Sig P226, 229 Equinox and P320 AXG Scorpion

When I started buying handguns for me it was all about black polymer striker fired semi auto’s. I enjoyed shooting them and although I started shooting at a much older age then most that are gun enthusiasts I was good at it. I had many friends talk to me about other handguns including hammer fired guns, again for me my answer was no, I’m very happy with what I have. Then I move to Kentucky and join this forum and started learning. I traded in about 5 of the polymer guns I bought in Texas and bought my first AR then I bought another and another. Hammer fired metal framed guns, still no way until I stopped at a LGS in Kentucky and picked up a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer 45ACP and fell in love. I started over time selling and trading in my AR’s and buying new versions of the handguns I had gotten rid of, sort of getting back to my roots and felt good about what I was doing. The Range Officer I enjoyed but something again was just not right, I sold it. Then I bought my M1A Boy did that feel great, 20 years making gun stocks and now I have a fantastic rifle with an incredibly beautiful wood stock but I had one more AR I just wasn’t shooting, when I went to my favorite LGS to trade that in I knew what I wanted, another 1911 I found what fit me to a tee. It’s not black but it is two tone, it’s not polymer but it is what refer to as very aggressive looking and has the feel to me as a battle handgun. The Springfield Armory Emissary 45 is incredible. I was at that same LGS recently shooting my M1A and after I was done and getting ready to head home I walked through the store, what I saw was amazing, more handguns then I’d seen in two years, including the metal framed 1911’s
@Annihilator to answer your question; no they aren’t going away.

The Sig P series isn’t going anywhere. There are constantly conversations on SigTalk about them going away. I’ve said this before, but the 226 Legion I bought a couple of months ago is by far the best gun I’ve shot. It feels like it was made just for me. If you get a chance, buy one. It’s pricey but worth it. I think the more seasoned guys are the ones worried about the metal frames going away, but it seems to me 1911s are more popular than ever, new HiPowers are on the market, BUL Armory makes an outstanding family of 1911s, Walther’s steel frame PPQs are
phenomenal. But let’s face it polymer is cheap and there are a lot of very good striker fired guns. I also think that with the seemingly endless flow of new gun buyers $300-$500 guns are where it’s at right now.

Now let’s talk about something really serious, the near non-existence of new cars with manual transmissions. Manuals used to be the cheap option. Now if you want a Porsche 1911 with a manual you have to pay a significant upcharge.

It appears to me that all the new firearms are being made for women like S&W EZ series and Walther introduced their F-Series the rest are for the new gun buyer zombie killers with their mega magazine capacity.
The 1911's by almost every manufacturer have only subtle changes, so I won't call them new.
That being said, I'll stay old school and take all the 1911's and revolvers I can get.

Reality tells us that over time we'll see fewer and fewer steel framed handguns due primarily to manufacturing costs. While some of us 'diehards' and 'old schoolers' will continue to buy them as we can, we'll eventually get to a point where we have enough that we just can't justify that extra cost factor for the steel while the plastic does the same job.

The transition won't happen overnight, and most of us here tonight may not even live long enough to see it, but much like the auto trannies we talked about several threads ago, it will come to pass. Given enough time we all will succumb to the lesser costs when we can no longer afford the $$$'s to justify our preferences and/or our pride when the steel is no longer required to do the job.

Plastic will continue to get better and better as steel will continue to get more and more expensive. More and more manufacturers will give in to the market growing bigger and bigger for women who typically prefer the lighter weight of the plastic guns and have no preconceived notions about steel being better. Oh yeh, and they're usually a lot more cost conscience than we 'old schoolers' and 'diehards' are, and not nearly as 'hard headed'! Jus' sayin'.

I dunno, maybe jus' me !!!

What’s a Porsche? Is that German for don’t buy me, I’m not American muscle?
0CB8A647-D8F6-4724-95C9-49506F8788DE.gif

Reality tells us that over time we'll see fewer and fewer steel framed handguns due primarily to manufacturing costs. While some of us 'diehards' and 'old schoolers' will continue to buy them as we can, we'll eventually get to a point where we have enough that we just can't justify that extra cost factor for the steel while the plastic does the same job.

The transition won't happen overnight, and most of us here tonight may not even live long enough to see it, but much like the auto trannies we talked about several threads ago, it will come to pass. Given enough time we all will succumb to the lesser costs when we can no longer afford the $$$'s to justify our preferences and/or our pride when the steel is no longer required to do the job.

Plastic will continue to get better and better as steel will continue to get more and more expensive. More and more manufacturers will give in to the market growing bigger and bigger for women who typically prefer the lighter weight of the plastic guns and have no preconceived notions about steel being better. Oh yeh, and they're usually a lot more cost conscience than we 'old schoolers' and 'diehards' are, and not nearly as 'hard headed'! Jus' sayin'.

I dunno, maybe jus' me !!!

Except plastic doesn’t do the same job.

Steel adds weight, which equates to reduced recoil…and often better accuracy.

Honestly? With the exception of a few unusual model HK’s, I doubt if I’m going to buy any more plastic guns.

Except plastic doesn’t do the same job.

Steel adds weight, which equates to reduced recoil…and often better accuracy.

Honestly? With the exception of a few unusual model HK’s, I doubt if I’m going to buy any more plastic guns.
Whew !!! Well Hans, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 'YES', they do the same job, albeit maybe not quite as efficiently. When all is said and done what the gun (steel or plastic) does is hold temporarily some number of cartridges and at some point fires some number of projectiles. I mean as far as most folks know. Now with tongue in cheek I'll continue:

You and I are both smarter than that so we understand all about how the extra weight of steel helps tame recoil better than plastic does, but generally speaking no/very few first time (or even relatively new) buyers will consider that even if he/she is aware of it ..... and figuratively speaking NO sales rep will ever offer that info to those first time (or even relatively new) buyers, so in the end 'YES' they do the same job.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not too far off when I say that one day steel will be a long, forgotten and/or unimportant material that guns were ever made from. Maybe not in your or my time, but in some time for sure. :rolleyes:o_O

Whew !!! Well Hans, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 'YES', they do the same job, albeit maybe not quite as efficiently. When all is said and done what the gun (steel or plastic) does is hold temporarily some number of cartridges and at some point fires some number of projectiles. I mean as far as most folks know. Now with tongue in cheek I'll continue:

You and I are both smarter than that so we understand all about how the extra weight of steel helps tame recoil better than plastic does, but generally speaking no/very few first time (or even relatively new) buyers will consider that even if he/she is aware of it ..... and figuratively speaking NO sales rep will ever offer that info to those first time (or even relatively new) buyers, so in the end 'YES' they do the same job.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not too far off when I say that one day steel will be a long, forgotten and/or unimportant material that guns were ever made from. Maybe not in your or my time, but in some time for sure. :rolleyes:o_O

So will gunpowder, and bullets.

1911s, 92S and Colt 1873 clones and revolvers of all makes still sell exceedingly well. Not to mention the hugely popular new Hi power and its clones and resurrected Sig P210. There might be fewer new steel models but who knows what new or resurrected models will come out in years to come. Steel might not rule the roost, but it ain't going anywhere either.

Last edited:
1911s, 92S and Colt 1873 clones and revolvers of all makes still sell exceedingly well. Not to mention the hugely popular new Hi power and its clones and resurrected Sig P210. There might be fewer new steel models but who knows what new or resurrected models will come out in years to come. Steel might not rule the roost, but it ain't going anywhere either.
And I did not even get into metal Cz, Sig, walther, Bersa, etc etc etc. Steel and other metals are still well represented.

Back