testtest

What can you tell me about Muzzle Brakes?

A muzzle brake doesn't make a rifle louder or quieter it just directs the noise to which direction the brake is venting. So for the shooter it can make you hear the blast louder then without a break if it's vented to the rear or side especially while shooting from an enclosed space. If you're state allows them a suppressor is an awesome option though expensive investment to mitigate sound. Muzzle brakes are intended to reduce recoil.

I have an aftermarket muzzle brake on an AR and my Edge has the supplied brake on it. Being behind that gun I would say the noise is louder than a typical A2 style birdcage, but like 10mm said it is because the gases are being directed in a manner to mitigate muzzle climb and recoil, not that the gun is actually louder.

I've read that the AK-74 muzzle brake the Soviets (and now Russians) use(d) really increased the sound on the guns to the point that it was causing serious hearing damage to their troops. I don't shoot enough without hearing protection on to speak to it.

I have a Tank muzzle Break on my AR15 50 Beowulf, which was highly recommended to reduce the felt recoil. With it, the felt recoil wasn't as bad as I was expecting (I still wonder what it would have felt like if I didn't install the Break). I can't attest to the loudness, as I never fired it without the Break, but it's vented to the sides of the break, so I assume it's louder than without but then there would have been much more felt recoil.

10mm is on point.

I prefer PWS' breaks, they are not too crazy looking and do a great job. I have used their breaks on every rifle I own. Customer service is excellent as well. The last time I called I actually spoke with the owner, and he took the time to explain why they no longer made the original SCAR break. (I really liked the original look)
And they have a sense of humor..

One more thing,
Instead of using the shims provided have the break timed by shortening it. If you are meticulous you can grind it down yourself. Otherwise have a smith do it.

Last edited:
10mm is on point.

I prefer PWS' breaks, they are not too crazy looking and do a great job. I have used their breaks on every rifle I own. Customer service is excellent as well. The last time I called I actually spoke with the owner, and he took the time to explain why they no longer made the original SCAR break. (I really liked the original look)
And they have a sense of humor..

One more thing,
Instead of using the shims provided have the break timed by shortening it. If you are meticulous you can grind it down yourself. Otherwise have a smith do it.
Thanks for the info Classified, too bad they don't seem to make any for the Beowulf, but they look like potentials for my numerous AK's and the AR's chambered in 5.56. It looked like that rifle barrel barely rose when he was shooting full auto bursts, very impressive.

Thanks for the info Classified, too bad they don't seem to make any for the Beowulf, but they look like potentials for my numerous AK's and the AR's chambered in 5.56. It looked like that rifle barrel barely rose when he was shooting full auto bursts, very impressive.
I have one on my M1A, and the recoil is about that of a 556. Makes much more pleasant to shoot.

I heard that they make your rifle loud, is that true?
GG
If you are concerned about the sound you should look into a suppressor. This should mitigate recoil and sound. I rarely ever shoot without them. It really makes a big difference. Otherwise just use 'foamies' with muffs.
My bolt 308 just sounds like disconnecting a fitting from a charged air compressor.

Last edited:
Back