testtest

What Is The AR-15 Forward Assist And Why Do I Need It?

"First, perform a press check or visual check that a round is chambered by pulling the charging handle back enough to open the bolt and have a look. (Make sure the rifle is pointed in a safe direction first, of course.) Unload by taking out the magazine and ejecting the round. Reload, and see if the issue repeats. If so, try moving the bolt by hand by pulling on it with a fingertip or moving it with your thumb."

While I never had the experience I would think this would be very inconvenient to attempt during a fire fight with enemy rounds flying by.

"First, perform a press check or visual check that a round is chambered by pulling the charging handle back enough to open the bolt and have a look. (Make sure the rifle is pointed in a safe direction first, of course.) Unload by taking out the magazine and ejecting the round. Reload, and see if the issue repeats. If so, try moving the bolt by hand by pulling on it with a fingertip or moving it with your thumb."

While I never had the experience I would think this would be very inconvenient to attempt during a fire fight with emeny rounds flying by.
Emeny….emeny…… I think you and keystone drank to much coffee this morning…….😬😬

Another thing to remember is that when the M16s without the forward-assist were made, the gov't hadn't gotten around to chroming the chambers and the barrels which if the brass casings had expanded due the the high humidity it could become difficult to extract a fired round. So loading and extracting could become an ordeal under certain circumstances.

The forward assist became "necessary" beause some pogue at the Pentagon decided they should order ammo with a type of powder the rifle was not designed to use, which gummed up the works. To make matters worse, the first rifles were deployed to combat units without proper cleaning equipment and supplies. I have never seen a malfunction in an AR that the forward assist would cure. The forward assist is as useful as teats on a bull with proper ammo and maintenance.

The forward assist became "necessary" beause some pogue at the Pentagon decided they should order ammo with a type of powder the rifle was not designed to use, which gummed up the works. To make matters worse, the first rifles were deployed to combat units without proper cleaning equipment and supplies. I have never seen a malfunction in an AR that the forward assist would cure. The forward assist is as useful as teats on a bull with proper ammo and maintenance.
Is a "pogue" similar to a "REMF"?

I clearly remember TSG Lou Mango in USAF Small Arms Instructor School in 1972 telling us, "The only reason the M16A1 has a forward assist on it is that the Army just COULD NOT STAND to buy a rifle that the Air Force bought first." USAF M16s didn't have forward assists, at least not in those days. Dunno what they have now and don't much care. ;)

Staying out of the gutter today are we?
IMG_1769.gif

Back