testtest

What Kind of Plate Carrier Rig Do You Run?

M

Minuteman1969

I have three plate carrier rigs, because there's your SHTF rig for the end of the world and then there's your EDC rig...
First up, my RTS Tactical 10"x12" Level 4 end of the world rig. I have a black general-purpose pouch for my phone up top, and below I have an HSGI X2R Taco shingle for 6 rifle mags, and a couple of pistol pouches for my sidearm.
IMG_20200125_042625[1].jpg

Then I have a Tactical Scorpion Gear Bobcat 11"x14" concealment carrier, running Level III+ plates.
tactical-scorpion-gear-ar500-bobcat-concealed-body-armor-carrier-vest-11x14-black.jpg

And even though it's in transit and a couple days away, I have an AR500 Testudo 10"x12" Level III package inbound.
testudo_carrier_general_issue_package.jpg

Armor for every occasion. You carry a firearm for defense, you carry an IFAK for traumatic injuries. But do you protect your vitals?? Let me hear your thoughts and what kind of rig do you run?

I had a good
I have thought that for many years but now, in these times, can we really be over prepared? I don't think so. I do think we can be under prepared. Like you I thought it was too much food for thought. Now not so much!
I'm in the same boat. Ten years ago I wouldn't even have considered it but this is not that world. It's certainly far from the world I grew up in, unlocked doors, children outside for hours with no supervision, and not having to even consider what if they don't come home from school today.
Less excuses and more personal accountability for me please. If there were still consequences for actions it would be a little more like it used to be.

Last edited:
I had a good
I'm in the same boat. Ten years ago I wouldn't even have considered it but this is not that world. It's certainly far from the world I grew up in, unlocked doors, children outside for hours with no supervision, and having to even consider what if they don't come home from school today.
Less excuses and more personal accountability for me please. If there were still consequences for actions it would be a little more like it used to be.
As a preteen I rode my bike all over the place. During summer vacation be gone all day and nobody had to be concerned. Population of the US has tripled since then and the crazies multiplied ten fold. Now, as an adult, I carry,

Makes me think of the movie "Back to the Future," when Marty was in a gunfight and put the door off the wood stove under his shirt. :)
That’s funny. I once took a lesson from a NRA certified instructor who was also a former Marine Gunnery Sergeant & Brooklyn NYC Detective. As a cop, he came across perps that used cast iron frying pans tied with rope to fit over front and back to stop any potential bullets. They tried whatever they thought would work, and many times were somewhat successful.

Makes me think of the movie "Back to the Future," when Marty was in a gunfight and put the door off the wood stove under his shirt. :)

I'd be worried about spalling.....

That's really where the commercial steel body-armor industry has really done a rather amazing job: the various types of "anti-spall coatings" that hobbyist have been able to vet (not in small part due to the affordable nature of these plates) actually makes this type of armor actually viable.

What do I mean?

Take a look at what happens in the area adjacent to a steel target:

^ In this night-time video taken by the YouTube Channel Factor 5 Defense, you can see where the "spall" goes, from the bullet's contact with the steel. That spall is literally hot bullet fragments generated from the impact of the bullet on the hardened steel plate, and it can cause significant injuries, even *_yards_* from the target, much less the inches that's typical when you're actually wearing the armor on the body.

Here's another great demo - take a look at the 0:50 time-point on -

I've actually got a set of AR500 Armor Lvl-III+ plates with their anti-spall build-up, and I honestly wouldn't think twice about using them. I think that for either home-defense or for "prepping" purposes, they're great: they're relatively low-cost, and what's more, they really don't need any special kind of care/treatment (dropping a ceramic plate, particularly on its edge, can be devastating, and some PE armor should not be stored where they can experience higher temperatures, such as in the interior of vehicles in warmer climates). They're also relatively light *and* thin, and both of these factors can not only drive up cost, but also carries significant implications where it comes to the end-user's physical capabilities.

However, if I were knowingly going into harm's way (and this includes for those who train in a setting/facility where PPE is required), yes, I would spend the extra money (sometimes only marginally more, if the user is willing to compromise on weight and/or thickness) for the stuff that's NIJ certified and professionally vetted. Today, a smart shopper will easily be able to find Hesco BL-400 series (4400 or 4401) Lvl-IV Stand-Alone plates which will readily defeat the most common stateside AK and AR threats (including both M193 and M855) for well less than $200 a plate (here's the AT Armor retail page for this item - https://store.atarmor.com/Hesco_4400_Level_IV_Stand_Alone_Plate_p/hs-4400.htm)...and that's a price that matches that of steel armor.

I've got an old Shellback Mayhem that has a set of AR500s in there, as I noted above. It's not bad (especially for the $70 I paid for it, on closeout from TAG back in 2014), but it's definitely old-school, and both more cumbersome to put on as well as hotter to wear than the more modern plate carrier that I use for training classes where PPE is required. At least it carries the weight very well.

That said, compared to my class carrier, it's not even in the same ballpark.

Below are a few pictures of what I use - I'm the porky Chinese guy. :p

It's an ESSTAC Daeodon (https://www.esstac.com/daeodon), with a pair of HESCO 4400s. The carrier was state-of-the-art back in 2017, when I bought it new, and it still stacks up well even today, in terms of non-jumpable carriers. It's exceedingly comfortable (particularly when paired with a full set of PIG Pontoons front and rear), and I've got its placard configured to help me get the most out of my training days - pictured below:

There's a utility light front-center, and just below that is an APALS holder for low-light safety marking. To the immediate left is a tourniquet carried in a North American Rescue C-A-T Holder, and outboard of that is a Benchmade 7 Rescue Hook. On the right hand side of centerline (but not blocking my access to my handgun) is an LBT Modular Utility Pouch, in which I store my cell-phone as well as note-taking materials. This pouch has been replaced with a generic made-in-China phone/notepad/pen holder, which I actually find more useful - since durability isn't really an issue here, the switch to a lower-grade product really doesn't bother me much. ;)

On the rear of the carrier, which you can't see, is an RE-Factor Aggressor (https://www.refactortactical.com/products/the-aggressor), which I carry empty as an utility pouch (my war-belt carries my main med pack, an HSGI M3T). Aside from a couple of nerdy patches - Trekkers should note my front-facing patch; on my rear is a Thundercats emblem and - the only other piece of gear that's worthy to note back there would be a Propper Hi-Vis safety marker, again for low-light safety marking.

Me and Brandon.jpg

Before Night 2.jpg

Hand Taped.png

^ Oh, and yeah, that's my hand duct-taped to the fire-control of my gun, courtesy of Joe Weyer of the Alliance PD Training Facility. :oops: 😅 :LOL:

Why?

Because apparently Italians aren't the only people who love to talk with their hands!

Trust me, this completely cured me of my hand-gesturing problem when it should be on fire control. Like I said to Joe a the end of those 3 days, as he patted me on the back and gave me the title of "Most Improved," - "You'll find my dead hand still on fire-control, sir!" :)

I've got another placard with a double-stack of ESSTAC 5.56 pouches and handgun pouches for when the zombies come out, but in all honesty, I'd probably just put a can of NOS and some Bridgeford links in the utility, and throw the extra mags in my dump pouch behind the belt, instead. :LOL::ROFLMAO: Hey, a man's gotta snack, you know?!

I don't know if there is any spy/ad ware on this site, but after reviewing and posting on this thread, I get an email concerning this product ICE which is a plate carrier that not only takes ballistic plates, but their hydration system. Interesting concept, I'd like to see reviews as the product becomes more prevalent on the market. I'll also be sharing a longer video of this product, done at the 2020 Shot Show, under the thread post "News from 2020 Shot Show"

I don't know if there is any spy/ad ware on this site, but after reviewing and posting on this thread, I get an email concerning this product ICE which is a plate carrier that not only takes ballistic plates, but their hydration system. Interesting concept, I'd like to see reviews as the product becomes more prevalent on the market. I'll also be sharing a longer video of this product, done at the 2020 Shot Show, under the thread post "News from 2020 Shot Show"
I have been aware of Qore products for a couple years now, and their stuff is GOOD. I highly recommend them. https://www.qoreperformance.com/

As for spyware on this site, I doubt it, it's probably your browser. If you're running Microsoft or Google Chrome, you're up the creek. At the very least get Firefox, or better yet, get TOR browser! https://www.torproject.org/download/

Back