testtest

What You Need to Know About the Survival Gun

This article is correct that the term is vague, situational and up for individual interpretation.

While the article focuses on more of a tactical/defensive perspective, I tend to take a "originalist" view of the term.

The article briefly touches/mentions dedicated "survival" firearms such as the AR-7. That plus the M6 combination (.22lr/410 ga) were designed for survival situations by mil-types that found themselves in the back country.

My "survival" firearms consist of a CZ M6 clone, a Savage 2400 (12 ga/.308) and UZH-94 (12ga/30-06) combo guns with a variety of cartridge and sub-gauge inserts/adapters.

I also have a collection of the old Lee Loaders for reloading shotgun shells and rifle/pistol cartridges in the simplest table-top manner.

That being said along those lines even a hunting rifle, shotgun or good 22lr. can be a useful "survival" firearm in the "original" definition.

My .02

Last edited:
Good article @Annihilator thanks for posting. @Talyn made some good points I agree with. I have always like a .22mag 20ga combo and there are many more out there (different combos) TPS M6 being another one I have liked. I respect everyone’s opinion, but speaking on my behalf a survival gun is not a .22. I hunt, and have hunted for quite some time. 90% of the deer/bear ect. I have shot have ran to some extent. I am not the best hunter or claim to be the best sharpshooter but can do a pretty decent job. That being said everyone saying they want a .22 for a survival gun confuses me. If you are trying to survive you will want meat. Squirrel, rabbit, dove, sure. Deer, ummm. Ok. I know it can be done but it’s not often and it is definitely not ideal. Again this is my opinion. A 9mm PCC or Kel-Tec sub2000./SU16, you would be better served. I know I hear and read about all the ammo you can tote but I don’t see you needing all that much in .223 or really 9mm. Also are you gonna snipe something with the .22 and at what distance?? Compared to the .233 or even the 9mm PCC. That’s just my thinking.

Good article @Annihilator thanks for posting. @Talyn made some good points I agree with. I have always like a .22mag 20ga combo and there are many more out there (different combos) TPS M6 being another one I have liked. I respect everyone’s opinion, but speaking on my behalf a survival gun is not a .22. I hunt, and have hunted for quite some time. 90% of the deer/bear ect. I have shot have ran to some extent. I am not the best hunter or claim to be the best sharpshooter but can do a pretty decent job. That being said everyone saying they want a .22 for a survival gun confuses me. If you are trying to survive you will want meat. Squirrel, rabbit, dove, sure. Deer, ummm. Ok. I know it can be done but it’s not often and it is definitely not ideal. Again this is my opinion. A 9mm PCC or Kel-Tec sub2000./SU16, you would be better served. I know I hear and read about all the ammo you can tote but I don’t see you needing all that much in .223 or really 9mm. Also are you gonna snipe something with the .22 and at what distance?? Compared to the .233 or even the 9mm PCC. That’s just my thinking.

A lot of deer are poached with a .22LR; and I know that suppressed .22’s are used to eliminate deer that wander into airports.

If you are shooting for survival...this is not “fair chase” hunting; it’s going to be a lot more like poaching. Hunting over bait at close range, “shining”, etc...

A lot of deer are poached with a .22LR; and I know that suppressed .22’s are used to eliminate deer that wander into airports.

If you are shooting for survival...this is not “fair chase” hunting; it’s going to be a lot more like poaching. Hunting over bait at close range, “shining”, etc...
I agree, and you are correct about poachers using 22 and even 17hmr. Even dispatching animals with a .22 at an arms distance. I would “poach” in a survival mode but with a 9mm PCC or even a .233 in the form of the mentioned Kel-Tec.

In the event I needed to "grab & go" for a survival situation, in addition to one of my combo guns above (likely the Savage 2400) I would include a Ruger American Target .22lr, or one of my Buckmark .22s in my firearms "survival" kit. Both are threaded for a suppressor.

Since in MT/ID we can hunt forest grouse with a rifle either would come in handy for taking them, in addition to other game.

And I would grab my 66" recurve, and associated kit.

Last edited:
In the event I needed to "grab & go" for a survival situation, in addition to one of my combo guns above (likely the Savage 2400) I would include a Ruger American Target .22lr, or one of my Buckmark .22s in my firearms "survival" kit. Both are threaded for a suppressor.

Since in MT/ID we can hunt forest grouse with a rifle either would come in handy for taking them, in addition to other game.

And I would grab my 66" recurve, and associated kit.
I’ve taken a number of pheasants with a .22 pistol from my deer stand; usually a couple every season..

And yes, legal in Minnesota.

And my survival guns?

Remington Nylon 66 and an H&R Sentinel (backed with a S&W 43C). Very lightweight, reliable, accurate...all three of those together weigh less than the average AR.

They’ll kill anything that I want to eat in my neck of the prairie, and if I’m getting into defensive gunfights in a survival situation...I done mucked up, badly...but I’ll make ‘em work.

Considering I've got about 3000 rounds of 22LR, versus < 500 of most other calibers on hand, I imagine that would make my 17 round old Marlin rifle a good "survival" gun, and my Ruger Mark II. I don't think I would want to lug around a 12 gauge Remington with a 28" barrel unless I am bird hunting.

That said, I'll stick with my XDM 5.25 or Compact for day to day carry, or even my little LCP.

.22LR is lightweight in bulk qty
Firearm is lighter in weight. Remember you are carrying this damn thing all the time
You can snipe damn near anything from a deer, grouse, rabbit, turkey, snake, etc...
Rules will not apply if you are relying on a “survival” gun for shtf or lost for a week in a remote area .

not ideal but well rounded for the task.

.22LR is lightweight in bulk qty
Firearm is lighter in weight. Remember you are carrying this **** thing all the time
You can snipe **** near anything from a deer, grouse, rabbit, turkey, snake, etc...
Rules will not apply if you are relying on a “survival” gun for shtf or lost for a week in a remote area .

not ideal but well rounded for the task.

So are you saying you would roll with the .22LR? If so, my pimped out Marlin Model 60 has fiber optic sights and a sling is ready to roll. I would throw 1000 or so rounds in the backpack and bug out. I need a scope for it though, but I’ve always liked iron sights better for just plinking.

96966145-2F04-4E31-AFD6-0B47AEFB4FB3.jpeg
00F05560-AB9E-4D06-83E6-565F81CE428A.jpeg
14D6D856-2B1B-40F6-8CD8-73B688F1E61A.jpeg

Back