testtest

What’s in your Public Profile

Awesome thread!

A lot of people could benefit from reading articles like this to reduce any potential negative legal exposure.

No public profiles for me not even a LinkedIn.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say it, but this is sound legal advice. Even if you do look forward to killing anyone who threatens your life, that is supposed to be irrelevant in our legal system. All that is supposed to matter is if a reasonable person in your situation would have felt that deadly force was necessary to protect themselves or innocent third parties from imminent death or serious bodily injury. Unfortunately, it appears that many District and County attorneys in blue cities must have missed that day in law school.

No one is truly incognito. Well almost no one. You can minimize the damage though. When I had a FB account I used a fake name and all fake info. Still not really enough since someone getting a hold of my friends list or scouring my page could figure out who I am by my family members. I have never posted pics of guns or talked about mine or made comments about that kinda stuff there though. The several gun forums I used to belong to bothered me though so I don’t go to them anymore. Only here. And the fact I have posted some gun pics here kinda bothers me. Truthfully though it’s a way bigger concern that hackers can get your info. The government can find out what you have if they want to even if you’ve never been online.

In Will County Illinois the States Attorney was so hell bent on convicting a Bolingbrook cop for murder they made a hearsay law that finally put him in prison.
I don't know if it ever got used again, but if you ever say or wish harm would come to someone even if it was a tongue in check comment you could be in serious trouble if your comment came true.

First thing my employer does is check social media for any flags. Not 2a related stuff as almost all of us hunt, but for poor behavior patterns or “cult” type stuff. Amazing what people post . Like drunk and passed out in the street type stuff.
You're right about that. I have an unemployed family member who posts regularly about qanon, civil uprising of stuff. Most of our family has told him employers check social media and that stuff will keep him unemployed. He keeps doing it. One of the first things I talk about with a new client is getting off social media entirely. I had one criminal defense prospect who was charged with beating a man into a coma. Just hours before the alleged beating, the guy went on Facebook and wrote something to the effect of "X just ripped me off on a drug deal, I'm going to go kick his ass." It wasn't hard to connect those dots. The same thing has happened with civil clients. Some complain about disabling injuries then the defense finds Facebook pictures of the guy out golfing or jumping into a fishing boat on rough water. People are idiots on social media.

Try telling high school kids not to post material that they will most certainly regret later.
Show them a picture of yourself in a leisure suit and platform shoes to show them things people used to think were cool, but are now blackmail material :) You could also use this: https://www.simplyeighties.com/80s-fashion.php if you're younger and have to show the 80's were embarrassing, too :)

First thing my employer does is check social media for any flags. Not 2a related stuff as almost all of us hunt, but for poor behavior patterns or “cult” type stuff. Amazing what people post . Like drunk and passed out in the street type stuff.
Ya know that’s kinda funny you said that because I literally belong to a “gun cult”. It’s totally tongue and cheek, and it’s put out there that way, but we have memberships, logos, secret Santa’s, a Cult Leader who has declared prima nocta (go ahead ask I dare ya), I could go on but I’d like to stay a Mod 🤣.

Legalese: If any of you actually have any concern about me being in a gun cult, you can contact me via private chat (the envelope at the top) and copy Mike H. (our boss) and the other two mods. I’d be happy to discuss why people need to learn to take things with a grain of salt.
42E37AE3-FE65-4810-A34F-84CA497D27AB.jpeg

Ya know that’s kinda funny you said that because I literally belong to a “gun cult”. It’s totally tongue and cheek, and it’s put out there that way, but we have memberships, logos, secret Santa’s, a Cult Leader who has declared prima nocta (go ahead ask I dare ya), I could go on but I’d like to stay a Mod 🤣.

Legalese: If any of you actually have any concern about me being in a gun cult, you can contact me via private chat (the envelope at the top) and copy Mike H. (our boss) and the other two mods. I’d be happy to discuss why people need to learn to take things with a grain of salt.View attachment 14200
I gotcha.
I was referring to Neo Nazi type stuff. Had an applicant that was an open member of a neo nazi club and had some pretty racist comments on his FB page. Dont think the boss wanted to hire him .

I gotcha.
I was referring to Neo Nazi type stuff. Had an applicant that was an open member of a neo nazi club and had some pretty racist comments on his FB page. Dont think the boss wanted to hire him .
Gotcha. You’re dead on with your comments. If, god forbid, something ever happens, my lawyer is going to charge me extra for the Cult thing 🤣. It took my family a year before they only kinda looked at me sideways when I’d mention something crazy the cult did.

You know I’m actually grateful this topic got brought up. The staff and I have been trying to figure out a way to word this that everyone would hear us on it. There has been many of comments on here Staff and Mods have removed for the protection of our members. When truth be told even tho we remove something it’s still there. There is an old adage that says once it’s on the internet it’s always on the internet you just gotta know where and how to look. As I’m sure @benstt can agree on this you always have to be careful what you say and even more so where you say it. You don’t always have a good group of guys watching your back. I’m by no means innocent on the Facebook front guys so I do get it but we have to be vigilant and mindful especially in these times that lay ahead.

You know I’m actually grateful this topic got brought up. The staff and I have been trying to figure out a way to word this that everyone would hear us on it. There has been many of comments on here Staff and Mods have removed for the protection of our members. When truth be told even tho we remove something it’s still there. There is an old adage that says once it’s on the internet it’s always on the internet you just gotta know where and how to look. As I’m sure @benstt can agree on this you always have to be careful what you say and even more so where you say it. You don’t always have a good group of guys watching your back. I’m by no means innocent on the Facebook front guys so I do get it but we have to be vigilant and mindful especially in these times that lay ahead.
It's a really important conversation. Nothing every goes away on the internet. Even things that were cool at the time come back to bite people. Ask Kevin Hart. A couple jokes about gay people from a decade ago cost him a job hosting the Oscars. It's nuts but very important.

Back