testtest

Wheelguns for Big Game Hunting

Not bad.

My choice, these days, is a 7.5” S&W 657. I switched from an 8” 629...it’s got close to the same downrange power (actually, with some bullets, it actually has slightly better performance), with remarkably less recoil. I’ve got a 3” 657 that I’ll take if I’m playing around in dangerous quadruped country...255gr hard cast will blow through a railroad tie.

If I want to get silly, I’ll bring out the 8.5” .500...I shot one deer with it right after I got it (I was an early adopter...2005, maybe?), a 325(?) gr XTP, took it at 25 yards, give or take...smallish doe, last day of the season, wanted meat in the freezer.

Instant drop from a boiler room shot. Massive exit wound, heart looked like it went through a blender.

Oh yeah, .500S&W will definitely do it. I want to find a 4” 357 to replace my 6”. I like the 6” but I like the balance and the comfort of carrying the 4”. I hunted and still have several XTP bullets. Those are excellent bullets. Good choice.

Oh yeah, .500S&W will definitely do it. I want to find a 4” 357 to replace my 6”. I like the 6” but I like the balance and the comfort of carrying the 4”. I hunted and still have several XTP bullets. Those are excellent bullets. Good choice.

XTP's used to be my go to, but now, if I’m gonna eat it...I prefer all copper Barnes X.

And 4” .357? Find yourself a 686...or an older 28.

Back