testtest

When to Say When…

SimonRL

Hellcat
I thought I’d ask this question in response to @KillerFord1977’s SA-35 travails and my own ongoing experience with a couple of HK P30s.

When you get a gun that makes you feel meh, do you stick with it until you get “good” with it, accept that you’re only going to get so good with it, get rid of it or consign it to the back of the gun safe.

I recently decided to dip my toe in the HK pool. I did my research, didn’t want a striker fired gun and decided to try a P30. I picked up a P30SK with the LEM trigger which without going into lengthy details has a heavy first pull and then all subsequent pulls have an enormous take up before having a relatively light - 4.5lb - break. The SK has a 3.25 inch barrel, but is quite a bit larger than my P365 and I’ve really decided that I like a full size better for EDC and the SK fits that bill. So I get to shooting it and sure enough I’m low and left, which I put down to the heavily curved trigger. So I work on my technique and after about 500 rounds I’m consistently on a 4in target, but on the left side of the target as though there’s a force field over the right half. With my Sigs and Archon Type B, which all have flat triggers, I shoot a normal pattern around the bull out, not all in one place. So in my infinite wisdom I bought a DA/SA P30L which has a 4.5 inch barrel and is more of a range gun. Well 350 rounds later I’m shooting pretty much the same pattern as the P30SK. So I am now having second thoughts about the two P30s because I’m having to adjust my grip and technique for them and they are effecting how I shoot my Sigs and Archon - which, it’s worth mentioning, shot like champs from the get go.

So I’d be curious to hear what all of you have done in similar circumstances. Me, I’m leaning toward there are too many good guns out there to waste time trying to get a gun to that sweet spot. And I’m the first person to admit that I am über anal when it comes to this, so maybe I’m just overthinking things.

P30L top two targets, P30SK two lower center targets. 10 yds.
51A8A572-3F7C-4DE7-8B56-EE8781A38D3F.jpeg

Sig 226 Legion top, Archon Type B center, Sig M17. bottom. 10yds.
36BA672C-6BC9-4D5A-805F-3765DAC17B76.jpeg

This may be off-topic, then maybe not. First, that ain't bad shooting at all. Most of them are very good hits. Second, I like to avoid too much paper shooting. I get the shakes, eye strain, hand fatigue and generally have less fun shooting paper than scattering a dozen clay pigeons all over the back stop and shoot casually enjoying the fun. Start at 15 yards then when you're getting nearly constant hits, shoot the smaller and smaller pieces of the broken ones. Next move over to the 25 yard range, rest your elbow on the bench and break some out there. You'll have just as much fun and come away smiling. Shoot some with your weak hand. You never know when that might be a handy skill to develop.
That is pretty good shooting up there, though. If you don't like the guns, sell them. I don't have any loyalty for guns I don't enjoy shooting.

When to say when. In my opinion, if you need to ask that question, you are ready to move on. No matter how good anything is, once you get it in your head it's not quite right, chances are it never will be. In that case anything that does not go perfect will be an irritant and drive you further away.

In the future it is possible to revisit something but that's OK too. On a revisit your head might be in a different place and it may feel right. I had this occur when I first tried a Jframe .38 when very young. I tried one later in life and now they are favorite tools.

Try something else, maybe it will be like Harry Potters wand that first time you hold it and use it. Lights will go on and music will sound

BTW, they are right the shooting is not bad at all.

Last edited:
When to say when. In my opinion, if you need to ask that question, you are ready to move on. No matter how good anything is, once you get it in your head it's not quite right, chances are it never will be. In that case anything that does not go perfect will be an irritant and drive you further away.

In the future it is possible to revisit something but that's OK too. On a revisit your head might be in a different place and it may feel right. I had this occur when I first tried a Jframe .38 when very young. I tried one later in life and now they are favorite tools.

Try something else, maybe it will be like Harry Potters wand that first time you hold it and use it. Lights will go on and music will sound

BTW, they are right the shooting is not bad at all.
I agree with that, my very first handgun was a SW MP shield in 40 caliber. It was a very small gun for my larger then average hands and I just didn’t shoot it very well, I put it away and tried many times to see if trying different ways to hold the gun could correct that but nothing helped and finally traded it in.
It was time to move on.

This may be off-topic, then maybe not. First, that ain't bad shooting at all. Most of them are very good hits. Second, I like to avoid too much paper shooting. I get the shakes, eye strain, hand fatigue and generally have less fun shooting paper than scattering a dozen clay pigeons all over the back stop and shoot casually enjoying the fun. Start at 15 yards then when you're getting nearly constant hits, shoot the smaller and smaller pieces of the broken ones. Next move over to the 25 yard range, rest your elbow on the bench and break some out there. You'll have just as much fun and come away smiling. Shoot some with your weak hand. You never know when that might be a handy skill to develop.
That is pretty good shooting up there, though. If you don't like the guns, sell them. I don't have any loyalty for guns I don't enjoy shooting.
We live where its 105 right now. outdoor shooting on private land with 8 million fellow suburbanites is hard to come buy. Indoor is only option. Even outdoor ranges are static ton of rules spots

I think with practice and technique, you have figured it out. That curved long pull trigger was throwing you off as you were used to your other racehorses for pistols with a flat trigger.
I’d say keep them.
Any brand of pistol compared to another side x side is always slightly different.

As for my SA-35, it shoots well. I’m just not sold on it’s build. I’ll keep it as a range toy. It was inexpensive enough to

There is a time/function for shooting paper. That doesn't mean you have to always shoot paper and it doesn't always have to be bullseye targets. Silouhettes are good for training/tactical stuff.

Other than patterning, I almost never use paper for shotguns. Always steel or half full soda and water bottles.

I also belong to a gun club with several different ranges, including at least 5 different shotgun ranges with trap houses. No range officer and no rules about drawing from concealment or running around for 15 minutes, then twisting yourself into a pretzel and shooting upside down with your off hand. 99% of the time I am the only person on whatever range I am on and I very much prefer it that way.

If the shot placement bothers you, adjust your sights a tad. If you think a trigger would satisfy, it's cheaper than another gun. But, if you put a different trigger in and still don't like it, you have more cost to lose in a trade or sale.
This is the classic dilemma we all face. Your reality doesn't match up to your expectations. It could be fit, feel, accuracy, reliability, etc. It's not a great feeling when you find yourself there.

There is a time/function for shooting paper. That doesn't mean you have to always shoot paper and it doesn't always have to be bullseye targets. Silouhettes are good for training/tactical stuff.

Other than patterning, I almost never use paper for shotguns. Always steel or half full soda and water bottles.

I also belong to a gun club with several different ranges, including at least 5 different shotgun ranges with trap houses. No range officer and no rules about drawing from concealment or running around for 15 minutes, then twisting yourself into a pretzel and shooting upside down with your off hand. 99% of the time I am the only person on whatever range I am on and I very much prefer it that way.
You are very lucky to have ranges that offer you that ability.

I thought I’d ask this question in response to @KillerFord1977’s SA-35 travails and my own ongoing experience with a couple of HK P30s.

When you get a gun that makes you feel meh, do you stick with it until you get “good” with it, accept that you’re only going to get so good with it, get rid of it or consign it to the back of the gun safe.

I recently decided to dip my toe in the HK pool. I did my research, didn’t want a striker fired gun and decided to try a P30. I picked up a P30SK with the LEM trigger which without going into lengthy details has a heavy first pull and then all subsequent pulls have an enormous take up before having a relatively light - 4.5lb - break. The SK has a 3.25 inch barrel, but is quite a bit larger than my P365 and I’ve really decided that I like a full size better for EDC and the SK fits that bill. So I get to shooting it and sure enough I’m low and left, which I put down to the heavily curved trigger. So I work on my technique and after about 500 rounds I’m consistently on a 4in target, but on the left side of the target as though there’s a force field over the right half. With my Sigs and Archon Type B, which all have flat triggers, I shoot a normal pattern around the bull out, not all in one place. So in my infinite wisdom I bought a DA/SA P30L which has a 4.5 inch barrel and is more of a range gun. Well 350 rounds later I’m shooting pretty much the same pattern as the P30SK. So I am now having second thoughts about the two P30s because I’m having to adjust my grip and technique for them and they are effecting how I shoot my Sigs and Archon - which, it’s worth mentioning, shot like champs from the get go.

So I’d be curious to hear what all of you have done in similar circumstances. Me, I’m leaning toward there are too many good guns out there to waste time trying to get a gun to that sweet spot. And I’m the first person to admit that I am über anal when it comes to this, so maybe I’m just overthinking things.

P30L top two targets, P30SK two lower center targets. 10 yds.
View attachment 28446

Sig 226 Legion top, Archon Type B center, Sig M17. bottom. 10yds.
View attachment 28447
Honestly, I agree, not bad shooting, but my opinion is don’t rush into making any drastic decisions, put them back in your safe, take a break from them, after some time go shoot them again, I have had a couple guns over the years and this is my procedure before I decide what I am going to do with them, just my thought

Those shots in the 9 ring would still ruin a bad guy's day. I would feel comfortable carrying it as a CCW.

Back