testtest

which is better for Medium to Long distance range shooting?

I'm just getting into long distance shooting at the range. Now I know guns but during my Army and Police service of 30 years we never used sights. I've just started a few years ago using red dots on my AR pistols, so it's a learning process.

I already own a Vortex Strike Eagle and an Trijicon 4x32 ACOG, but both sitting on my work bench... which one is the better sight for range distance, usually 200 to 300 but I do want to get into reaching out to 500 to 600 in time.

Guess I should add that it is for an AR platform, I don't have a hunting rifle. Actually, a DD M4v7 Pro w/ 18-inch barrel.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Wish I could tell you but i would start with which of the 2 reticles your eye likes the best. I have 1 or 2 nice medium range scopes but my eye just doesn't work well with the reticle. I do best with some plain old crosshair reticles.

I wobble too much any more for shooting too far, ugh.

On a side note ... I was at the range 2 months ago and had an old fella, I think the range master said he was 92, shooting 300 yards, open sights with an old M1A vintage rifle, free standing and holding the rifle with his elbow against his chest and nailing the bullseye. It was AMAZING!

ACOG should gamge out to 6 or 800 by design, but fixed magnification might not be what you want. 3-9 magnification ought to work. Try both and see which one is better for you? I'm not an ACOG fan not because of brand, but size, weight, fov and non-variable (most aren't, but then there's the VCOG).

I'm just getting into long distance shooting at the range. Now I know guns but during my Army and Police service of 30 years we never used sights. I've just started a few years ago using red dots on my AR pistols, so it's a learning process.

I already own a Vortex Strike Eagle and an Trijicon 4x32 ACOG, but both sitting on my work bench... which one is the better sight for range distance, usually 200 to 300 but I do want to get into reaching out to 500 to 600 in time.

Guess I should add that it is for an AR platform, I don't have a hunting rifle. Actually, a DD M4v7 Pro w/ 18-inch barrel.

Thanks,
what magnification is the Strike Eagle ?
1x4, 1x6 or 1x8 ?
That would make a big difference as the 1x4 will be close to the ACOG for magnification, but the other 2 will offer better use for 200-300 but suffer some for the 500-600.
You'll need a nice dedicated distance glass over a strike eagle for 600 yards in my opinion. I have great eyes and own Strike Eagles in 4x, 6x and 8x power, but they are limited for that past 300 yards. can you see clearly? sure, but the object you are engaging is pretty small even with a 1x8.

1-6x24... thanks for all the feedback.

I guess for range shooting, I could keep both and use them based on what I'm doing that day. OR at least try both first, since I already own them both. Both are easy to remove and put back on, just wonder if that's bad for the sight mounts or the zero range. Thx... Still learning.

1-6x24... thanks for all the feedback.

I guess for range shooting, I could keep both and use them based on what I'm doing that day. OR at least try both first, since I already own them both. Both are easy to remove and put back on, just wonder if that's bad for the sight mounts or the zero range. Thx... Still learning.
Most will hold 0, if you remember which slots it was in.
I took a silver paint pen and put a small mark on the numbered slot on the pic rail where the scope would go back on when i took it off with the QD mount.
I ran a FLIR thermal scope and a qd mount 1x4 Vortex scope and would switch them out for day and night use.
had no issues with the zero on the vortex as long as I put it back on the same numbered slot everytime.

For my own use a LVPO and ACOG are just right for out to 300, but for 500-600 I go with more magnification (i.e. 24X plus) since I like to really see the target clearly for the shot & also gauge the wind conditions at it if I 'm not using a spotting scope.

BTW - I like to switch to a bolt gun for beyond 300 since .223/5.56 performance starts dropping off significantly, unless you're just poking holes in paper or banging metal, and wind effects become pronounced.

My .02

So…

I love the ACOG. I think, for a “Serious Use” low-powered all around CQB-long(er) range optic, it’s really hard to beat.

That being said…my last ACOG (I’ve owned several over the years) sits in a case, in favor of various LPVO’s. In fact, I probably need to replace the tritium lamp, since it’s 10+ years old.

I guess what I’m getting at: if you want an optic that will be the most useful for what 99.999% of shooters use it for—go with the Strike Eagle.

If you’re going to get into a fight, go ACOG.

So…

I love the ACOG. I think, for a “Serious Use” low-powered all around CQB-long(er) range optic, it’s really hard to beat.

That being said…my last ACOG (I’ve owned several over the years) sits in a case, in favor of various LPVO’s. In fact, I probably need to replace the tritium lamp, since it’s 10+ years old.

I guess what I’m getting at: if you want an optic that will be the most useful for what 99.999% of shooters use it for—go with the Strike Eagle.

If you’re going to get into a fight, go ACOG.
(y)

I still have several ACOGs, one on a FAL, and the rest on my Tier 2 ARs.

Hmm.

I picked up a PTR91 with a rail not long ago on a trade…that ACOG might do well on that.
I've never warmed up to a HK91/PTR91, but, as you know, the ACOG has short eye relief so that could be a factor when mounting on something with a longer length of pull.

I'd like to get one more ACOG for my Congo FAL, but they are spendy with even used ones the equal price as new. The cheapest I've found new is just short of 1K.

I've never warmed up to a HK91/PTR91, but, as you know, the ACOG has short eye relief so that could be a factor when mounting on something with a longer length of pull.

I'd like to get one more ACOG for my Congo FAL, but they are spendy with even used ones the equal price as new. The cheapest I've found new is just short of 1K.
Eh…I’ve been scope-bit before.

It’s not that bad…
IMG_3321.jpeg

Back