testtest

Who Uses Dash Cameras?

I've never used a dash cam before but a month ago someone pulled in front of my wife, both saying they had the green... so I'm actually looking into getting one now but concerned about busting myself with my own bad, well I say great, driving habits. lol

BUT I have used GoPro's on my MC for many trips and love them... only issue is overheating when it gets really bad. The new 10's are great for MC's because of the lean angle, horizon stabilizer. JMO.

I've never used a dash cam before but a month ago someone pulled in front of my wife, both saying they had the green... so I'm actually looking into getting one now but concerned about busting myself with my own bad, well I say great, driving habits. lol

BUT I have used GoPro's on my MC for many trips and love them... only issue is overheating when it gets really bad. The new 10's are great for MC's because of the lean angle, horizon stabilizer. JMO.
I currently have a 7 and an 8 mounted on the windshield of my truck and find the overheating issue to be very frustrating, I also have remotes for both that fail constantly to maintain a connection to the cameras so I either leave them recording constantly in a 1 hour over right loop but that just adds to the overheating issue.
Customer service for GoPro is beyond useless.

over heating is an issue with my Garmin GPS.. what i do is, when i have the a/c on, i use the "defrost" and floor selection on the heater/ac panel. that way, cold air gets up on the windshield.

the only other thing one could try is a small dc operated fan, like say for a computer, and stick that onto the camera, for constant cooling

I use them religiously since I drive 90-100k miles/year in my F-150 for work (and have done so for over 20 years now...I'm the left's worst nightmare regarding greenhouse gasses!). I use a Nextbase model that (sometimes) syncs to my phone for immediate (ish) downloading and sending if needed.

2 problems to watch for: 1. the adhesive used to attach the camera base to your windshield. Most lose grip in summer heat and your camera falls off. Looking to use an adhesive post attached to the dash rather than the glass sometime soon. 2. Download speed/sync speed with your cell phone can be slow and troublesome.

Every smaller bump I've had with another driver (to date, none have been my fault) the offending driver lies to the cops. Every time. The camera sees all....and has saved me 1/2-dozen times with either a ticket or insurance issues. It helps your insurance when you smack a deer too...6 and counting...

My Nextbase(s) have never over-heated...not familiar with that phenomena...

Although I’ve been using GoPro’s for years I’ve become very frustrated and disappointed with them as of late and will be looking for other alternatives.

If you use a Dash Cam for recording your travels what do you use and why?

My wife just bought one, no idea the brand. I keep ribbing her about it, because I really do not get the point. I know I won't talk much when it's on. I really do not like the idea of getting used to being taped constantly. It just creeps me out.

My wife just bought one, no idea the brand. I keep ribbing her about it, because I really do not get the point. I know I won't talk much when it's on. I really do not like the idea of getting used to being taped constantly. It just creeps me out.
the biggest complaints about recording, is from truckers and "in cab" cameras.

i am not certain if those cameras the trucking companies use, have "audio"

companies use these, in the event of a sudden braking or swerving, and the camera captures the video from (i think) 30 seconds before the event, (as it's always recording) and if the driver was "nodding off" or eating, or whatever else, and gets into an accident, the driver gets hung

The first collision you have when you are not at fault might change your mind...😉

I am 63, been driving without one for almost 50 years. I am sure they work great, the idea still creeps me out lol
as i exited the trucking industry, more and more drivers were buying dash cams, to protect them from the company, not just from the cops or lawyers.

they have gotten much better, and will continue to get better.

for the record, as a trucker, i never had one. but in today's litigious society, it's not a bad idea.

as i exited the trucking industry, more and more drivers were buying dash cams, to protect them from the company, not just from the cops or lawyers.

they have gotten much better, and will continue to get better.

for the record, as a trucker, i never had one. but in today's litigious society, it's not a bad idea.
Big 10-4.

Case and point: mindless feral bicyclist ran a stop sign probably thinking there was a 4way stop, wound up sprawled out blaming me for hitting him. Yes, but the cyclist didn’t obey his stop sign but that’s difficult to prove…he said/she said applies…fight it out in traffic and civil court handoff.

A video can eliminate a ticket, a trial and in the event of damage, expedite a quick settlement.

In some cases, I’d bet that one can even make some money from the media outlets for recording and selling the moment the heavens open.

There are many videos on youtube showing dash cams saving the owners butt . Many show a person come to a stop sign or signal when the person in front of them throw it in reverse and hit person with dash cam. Cam saved a ticket and insurance costs.

I hope to get a different vehicle soon and will get a dash cam for it when I do.

I use them religiously since I drive 90-100k miles/year in my F-150 for work (and have done so for over 20 years now...I'm the left's worst nightmare regarding greenhouse gasses!). I use a Nextbase model that (sometimes) syncs to my phone for immediate (ish) downloading and sending if needed.

2 problems to watch for: 1. the adhesive used to attach the camera base to your windshield. Most lose grip in summer heat and your camera falls off. Looking to use an adhesive post attached to the dash rather than the glass sometime soon. 2. Download speed/sync speed with your cell phone can be slow and troublesome.

Every smaller bump I've had with another driver (to date, none have been my fault) the offending driver lies to the cops. Every time. The camera sees all....and has saved me 1/2-dozen times with either a ticket or insurance issues. It helps your insurance when you smack a deer too...6 and counting...

My Nextbase(s) have never over-heated...not familiar with that phenomena...
If I may ask , which model do you have and do you have front and rear cams?

My son wanted one. I installed a Rexing V1P. Has front rear cameras and has worked great. If I end up buying a new car, I will install the same.

I have used one constantly for about 8 or 9 years. A few years back a woman ran a stop sign in front of me and I t-boned her at 45 mph in my F250. 17k damage to my truck and her Tahoe was totaled. You could see the panic in the woman's face on the video just before impact. I think side curtain airbags saved her life. The trooper said it was the easiest investigation she had done in a while once she saw the video. I would not drive without one anymore.

I have used one constantly for about 8 or 9 years. A few years back a woman ran a stop sign in front of me and I t-boned her at 45 mph in my F250. 17k damage to my truck and her Tahoe was totaled. You could see the panic in the woman's face on the video just before impact. I think side curtain airbags saved her life. The trooper said it was the easiest investigation she had done in a while once she saw the video. I would not drive without one anymore.
Exactly my point for wanting a better setup then I have, the GoPro’s produce great videos just to many frustrating issues.

My dash cam is a Garmin which also has GPS but it is about 9 years old and they have made many advances in them since I got mine.
The last Garmin I owned was used on my 2005 GoldWing, it was an awesome setup for directions especially when touring and I could connect my iPhone to it to make calls through the Garmin to places I wanted to stay for the night to book rooms all while traveling down the road. It couldn’t take video but I put almost 200K miles on that bike using that unit.

If I may ask , which model do you have and do you have front and rear cams?
Nextbase DVR522GW
It uses blue-tooth to communicate with both my truck and my phone, has GPS...even shows a map of recorded sequences and you progressing along the map as it simultaneously shows the actual video. Holds several hours of sequences before recording over previously-used data space...not sure how many exactly...more than I could count (and I read manuals like we all do).
No rear cam, but that's because I'm cheap, and you can tell if you get rear-ended from a dash cam 99% of the time.
I got turned on to dash cams initially by watching videos by MegaDrivingSchool and other content providers on youtube. Watching those videos has certainly made me a more defensive driver, and it reinforces what to look out for...sort of like staying on guard when you are carrying.

Another thing I forgot to mention, if you get one, get the best camera optics you can afford. Many are not clear enough to read a license plate from 20'....makes the camera worthless IMO. This cam isn't bad...think it's $200, maybe $250.

Last edited:
Back