testtest

Why do tv gun writers do this....

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
I usually watch theses programs on Sportsman and Outdoor channels, why do this writers when they review and shoot the guns, shoot them as fast as they can? Nobody goes to the range and does this, unless there is some kind of training going on. When I am at my range, nobody does this there, the guy on American Rifleman does this with handguns, rifles and to me, looks awful freakin stupid. I see no reason for this.

I usually watch theses programs on Sportsman and Outdoor channels, why do this writers when they review and shoot the guns, shoot them as fast as they can? Nobody goes to the range and does this, unless there is some kind of training going on. When I am at my range, nobody does this there, the guy on American Rifleman does this with handguns, rifles and to me, looks awful freakin stupid. I see no reason for this.

This is done to create more talk time and to cram more content into the show. Quite often, the results of the shots are not shown.

Why do a mag dump? To show that it can with no problems. I think a structured mag dump is more realistic and showcases the weapon better, but not everyone has that kind of skill. Remember, they are good with words.

This is how you showcase a gun in a rapid fire situation.

Why do a mag dump? To show that it can with no problems. I think a structured mag dump is more realistic and showcases the weapon better, but not everyone has that kind of skill. Remember, they are good with words.

This is how you showcase a gun in a rapid fire situation.

Thanks for posting, hadn't seen video before. Impressive.

Liked how Rob came back and caught targets missed 1st time around on next nearby sweep in next row shots. Good planning, but likely glad targets weren't armed and shooting back too? "New and improved" targets could be armed shooting back with paintball gun ammo to solve that "issue?" Could be more realistic and fun when shooter also becomes the possible target if/when missing targets? That could be pretty inspirational.....and a bit messy? :)

Liked how Rob came back and caught targets missed 1st time around on next nearby sweep in next row shots. Good planning, but likely glad targets weren't armed and shooting back too? "New and improved" targets could be armed shooting back with paintball gun ammo to solve that "issue?" Could be more realistic and fun when shooter also becomes the possible target if/when missing targets? That could be pretty inspirational.....and a bit messy? :)
1B488379-13D2-41F7-9E7C-B85BF578CFB0.gif

Yeah I am a little jealous. I have a small shop near me that builds their own stuff, I was in there one day and one of the employees says "Yeah sometimes I feel a little bad that I get paid to shoot guns all day, but that feeling bad about it only lasts a second or two".
I said yeah, I bet.
I guess that is what they mean by do something you love and you will never work a day in your life. I always thought that saying was a crock of ****. Until I talked to that kid and then saw this video.

I have seen a lot of folks who think shooting as fast as you can is fun, no matter if you hit anything or not. I think they just like the noise.
I remember teaching my kids how to play baseball. I always taught them to just put the bat where the ball is. Do not worry about swinging the bat, just put it where the ball is. When baseball season rolled around, if it came near the plate he was going to hit it. You can tell by the sound it makes and by where it goes if he got it good and solid or if he was a little high or a little low. One day he cracks one pretty good and I knew he was ready to swing harder. I do not think you have ever seen a more proud dad when we were visiting another town and the kids were playing on a much larger field and I said hmmmm he might be able to hit it over the fence, it is a lot further than our towns little kids field. A parent from the home team turns around and says kids this age can not hit it over this fence.
Next time up, he hit the fence and that parent kind of did a glance over the shoulder like ok he is good but it did not go over. Next time up, over the fence it went. I was grinning ear to ear when that parent turned around that time.
My point? Get really good at close distance taking your time first. Speed and distance will come with practice.
I have been shooting for over 40 years, more long gun that anything, and I too have seen people go to the range and try to shoot far above their level. It is actually painful to watch, because I would rather see them go slow and get it right first. There is nothing wrong with getting it right, no matter how long it takes and actually looks better than blasting away and scattering lead all over. I do think that one faster clip at the end of a range session is a good idea, just so you can see how much more work needs to be done before you move the target back further.

Back