testtest

Why Polymer Pistols are the Future of Handguns

I like plastic guns but I don’t think they’ll hold their value over the long haul as an investment. What I mean to say is I hope my kid ain’t counting on them being around to hand down to her when I’m dead.
I disagree I believe if taken care of they will last, my 3 Mod 2’s are close to 8 years old and in mint condition. If taken care of and not abused, kept clean and oiled regularly my opinion they will last a long time.
Now I’m not saying they will hold there value like an all steel 1911 but they should shoot just fine.

For Annihilator is there a chicken color? Maybe one with feathers?
1594764680542.jpeg

You mean something like this?........🤪🤪🤪🤪

The polymers will last quite a while, one thing to remember is, keep them out of the direct sunlight. All plastics contain oils and will dry out over time, you all have seen older plastic items that just crumble when touched. I started noticing the new polymers back in the early 90s, one of my customers was making car exhaust manifolds out of polymer plastic. They molded the manifold out of lead and then used that to mold the polymer manifold. Then they put them in an oven and melted the lead out of the plastic, leaving the finished exhaust manifold.

The polymers will last quite a while, one thing to remember is, keep them out of the direct sunlight. All plastics contain oils and will dry out over time, you all have seen older plastic items that just crumble when touched. I started noticing the new polymers back in the early 90s, one of my customers was making car exhaust manifolds out of polymer plastic. They molded the manifold out of lead and then used that to mold the polymer manifold. Then they put them in an oven and melted the lead out of the plastic, leaving the finished exhaust manifold.
I had this same concern about plastics and the sun, I asked several gunsmiths and really never got a definitive answer. One said they really couldn’t say, another one stated that the polymer that’s used in guns is totally different and the sun wouldn’t effect it, so, even today, I still don’t know. I guess just flip a coin. 😬

Don't flip a coin, just don't leave them in the sun or store them in a high heat environment. Plastics of all types are made from oils, whether they are fossil or manmade. That's why they slide so well against each other, and because they are soft, the material moves without wearing away nearly as much as metal. class dismissed! :LOL:

Plastics: All plastics degrade from both heat and, more importantly, UV radiation. Plastic manufacturers slow it up by adding titanium dioxide to the mix. It is far more expensive than plastic so they don't add anymore than they have to but the more the better. Second, the reference to plastics in the Graduate was a plagiarized inside joke and the original use was in It's a Wonderful Life a sappy Christmas movie from 1946.

While I agree with what was written, I would add weight as one of the reasons why plastic guns are so popular. It is certainly the reason I own a XDs and a Hellcat and couple of Glocks. (30 and a 36) I also own a Remington Nylon 66AB that I won at a county fair in the early '60s. It still functions and the plastic is still in great condition and it has seen a lot of abuse over the years and normally rides in the back of a four wheel drive year round.

Last edited:
Nice article. 1911 and most CZ’s give me steel. RIA I think made a polymer 1911?? No thank you. AR mags. Magpul has got it going on compared to the metal mags. They have more resistance under certain conditions. You get a dent in a metal mag, it’s more than likely decommissioned. SA, Glock, Sig ect. The polymer is really tough and forgiving.

Back