testtest

Why Would You Ask This Question?

The Night Rider

Professional
This is connected to my comment about people talking too much.

I used to do security at a FedEx shipping hub. The front gate had a sign on it that said all vehicles coming or going were subject to search.

Every entrance to the building was posted "No Fireams/Other Deadly Weapons". The entrance gate was not. A reasonable assumption would be firearms were prohibited in the building but not the grounds, specifically your car.

One night as I was arriving at work a FedEx Employee asked me what the policy was for firearms in POVs on the property. I didn't have any policy in writing so I told him I didn't know(Too many guards pull "policies" out of their ass in situations like this).

So he decided to ask the General Manager of the facility. The General Manager had no idea what the specific company policy is and promised to ask corporate for a ruling.

I never heard of any outcome and I was never asked to check anybody's vehicle for firearms while I was working there. I'm willing to bet that if the general manager followed up the employee was told that firearm for absolutely not permitted anywhere on property. I'm also positive that by asking the general manager that question he put himself right in the middle of the company's radar.

This scenario comes up frequently on gun forums and this is the primary reason that I always advocate keeping your mouth shut.

Last edited:
Well, although on the surface, it does indeed seem to be a foolish move. I assume (I know, I know) he was simply in search of a definitive answer to a very sticky question. Job security?
He had very recently got his permit and he was trying to do the right thing.

Still a really dumb question.

When I was a greeter at my church a big, fat, hugely out of shape(I mention this because he claimed to be ex Special Forces) guy came up and asked my what the church's policy on Concealed Carry was.

I'm in Colorado Springs, if it's not posted it's allowed by Law. Why would you go out of your way to draw that much attention to your self?

I suspect that the laws of the state where this occurred will likely provide an answer. In my state, employers cannot prohibit firearms in your locked personal vehicle despite a prohibition on firearms in company facilities.

I agree that the person in question should have remained silent rather than poke the bear, as it were. It seems like a no-win situation they ended up placing themself in.

I suspect that the laws of the state where this occurred will likely provide an answer. In my state, employers cannot prohibit firearms in your locked personal vehicle despite a prohibition on firearms in company facilities.
It was Colorado. Employers can prohibit you from keeping a firearm in your car.

Still wasn't my place to offer any opinion.

I'm going to guess that if the General Manager (25+ years with the company) and the guy who asked me (20+ years) didn't know it wasn't that much of an issue previously.

I bet it was afterwards though.

In the world of out of control tort, the Forbidden signage eliminates one possible lawsuit should whatever is forbidden somehow enters the property and causes injury or death. Lawyers tell clients to do this, of late city ordinance may require it.
The ‘subject to search‘ gives an opportunity to turn around and not enter. Theres no expectation of privacy on private property with exceptions to toilets and dressing rooms. Plus, it not like border crossing (in the olde days) where they can send your car over to a special area for search.
Nobody ever searched my car - except the drive-in movie theatre manager 50 yrs ago.

Of all the other things that could bring about death/injury (snakes, the plague, drugs, climate change) some things don’t warrant signage and presumably forbidden ??? So why is it just guns get the evil eye, hmmmmmm?

Too many rules, not enough signs…yet.

I think I already said this but I never heard of any resolution to the guy's question.

About a year later all the FedEx employees moved out of that location to a new facility on the other side of town and I never saw either one of them again.

The night after the FedEx shooting in Indiana I got asked to cover a shift at their new facility.

The new facility had a gated employee parking lot (which is apparently a FedEx requirement) that required a key card to get into the parking lot and then you had to pass through a checkpoint to get from the parking lot to the main facility.

Just before the end of my shift FedEx employee showed up in street clothes and claimed that he didn't have his employee ID/Key card.

Since I was new to this facility I didn't know the phone number to the manager's desk so I asked the employee to wait at the guard shack while I went and asked if it was okay to let him in.

By the time I made it to the manager's desk another FedEx employee had already let him in and the manager was throwing a fit because I dared to double check before I left this guy into the facility.

Did I mention that this was less than 24 hours after somebody shot up a FedEx shipping hub in Indiana?

If FedEx wasn't the worst assignment I ever worked it had to have been in the top three

Back