testtest

Why you conceal carry at home- Homeowner opens door to gunfire

Looks to me like the first action was the ricochet off the plaster - fired from inside. Something cued the owner to fire first - either he recognized who was there, or something had been going on in the neighborhood to alert them before the bell rang.

Very sad. I have to admit I don't usually answer the door with a gun in my hand. I might have it on me though. Maybe I should be holding it! :)

I pocket carry at home. I can see a wide angle of who's outside thru the doorbell camera and a 4" wide, 12" tall thick glass (2" impact resistant) window next to the heavy metal door before I open it. When it's someone I don't know, my hand is nonchalantly in my pocket as I speak to them before I'll open the door. Signs prohibiting solicitation are prominently posted at the only entrance to our community in large enough letters that you can't help but see them. We don't have too many problems of this type here. I might add that I also installed 2 deep deadbolts and heavier hinges on that door as well.

Well duh! :unsure: You can't shoot at em if you don't open the door. 😉 :rolleyes:
If you look you can see the guy out in the yard take that shot and then retreat.

That could lead to legal trouble unless you are in danger of serious bodily injury or death unless they are trying to enter. I would just retreat to cover, make sure you've got enough ammo at the ready, and call 911.

Last edited:
That could lead to legal trouble unless you are in danger of serious bodily injury or death unless they are trying to enter. I would just retreat to cover and call 911.

I didn't see the homeowner at all in the video. The guy in the yard took the first shot. I suppose in Cali that may not justify shooting back, but out here in the civilized world it's certainly justification. Castle extends to anywhere you're legally allowed to be in most normal places in this country.

I didn't see the homeowner at all in the video. The guy in the yard took the first shot. I suppose in Cali that may not justify shooting back, but out here in the civilized world it's certainly justification. Castle extends to anywhere you're legally allowed to be in most normal places in this country.

Bassbob and papa- I see your point but why open yourself up to injury or death by possibly giving the perp(s) an open shot?

I think the point is that the gunfight began when the homeowner opened the door.

As an instructor told me: the best way to survive a gunfight is to not get in a gunfight.

I think the point is that the gunfight began when the homeowner opened the door.

As an instructor told me: the best way to survive a gunfight is to not get in a gunfight.

Sure. We all agree on that. That doesn't mean legal trouble for the homeowner though. There's no indication the woman knew there were armed thugs on her porch. The article states she thought it was a family member. And like I said, around here armed thugs on my porch is justification to engage them. There is no duty to retreat. I'm not saying that's what I'd do, but I don't see the legal problem with it. I can tell you one thing, armed thugs on my porch will definitely get my full attention.

Sure. We all agree on that. That doesn't mean legal trouble for the homeowner though. There's no indication the woman knew there were armed thugs on her porch. The article states she thought it was a family member. And like I said, around here armed thugs on my porch is justification to engage them. There is no duty to retreat. I'm not saying that's what I'd do, but I don't see the legal problem with it. I can tell you one thing, armed thugs on my porch will definitely get my full attention.
Armed thugs in my porch get the cops called; they don’t get “my full attention” until they come through the door.

Armed thugs in my porch get the cops called; they don’t get “my full attention” until they come through the door.

So you’ve got a pair of thugs on the porch and you call 911 and then what? Are you locking yourself inside an interior room with 911 still on the line? I would be on the floor behind something, in the dark, covering my front door because right now I know where the bad guys are and where the most likely point of entry is. And I promise you the thugs would be my sole focus.

Bassbob and papa- I see your point but why open yourself up to injury or death by possibly giving the perp(s) an open shot?
No one is saying they would open the door and engage. At least I’m not. I’m saying I don’t think the dingbat bothered looking at her ring doorbell. And I’m just saying that engaging armed thugs on your porch, especially after they have shot at you, is not going to get you in legal trouble in a free state.

Back