testtest

XD and XDS mod 2 Ammo question

APPilot

Elite
Founding Member
Folks,

just saw this advertised super cheap and was wondering if the XD and the XDS mod 2 are able to handle the pressure of +P+ Ammo. Is there a source from the manufacturer that says these Ammo types are ok for use in......

advise?

9mm - +P+ 115 Grain JHP - Federal Hi-Shok LE - 1000 Rounds

Yes you can use +p ammo for the XD Mod. 2 9mm subcompact. I personally called Springfield Armory and they said yes you can but be careful with +p+. When using +p the extra pressure is harder on the barrel and internal parts. You will need to clean your firearm more frequently when using it and it will wear the firearm down faster so the more you use it the faster your barrel will wear out. Keep that in mind. Now the 3in. Subcompact actually prefers +p ammo to compensate for the loss of barrel. All these civil defense rounds, and whatever that weird ammo is Novax or whatever is made for a concealed carry gun. Hints the name and its all +p rated to compensate for shorter barrels. I use my XD Mod 2 9mm subcompact for my backup to my 12ga pump shotgun when I'm on Wilderness trips and I load Buffalo Bore +p Outdoorsman which is 147 grain Corelocked Hardcast FMJ and it cycles those better than my 147 grain JHP that I use for City carry as I call it. So yes the XD Mod 2 9mm subcompact can shoot +p and actually shoots better with +p because that's really what you are supposed to use in them to gain the velocity. Hope this helps? I myself did alot of researching before I used it because buddy had always heard most guns can't shoot +p. Most modern firearms can.

+p for a compact or sub doesn't make sense!
Yeah it does. You want. +p to make up for barrel length. 3in barrel won't shoot regular ammo with the same ballistics that it shows on the back. Think of the Civil Defense ammo its +p for that reason. Its made for subcompact concealed carry guns.

Right: DO NOT use +P in the aforementioned pistols.
You can use +p in the XD Mod 2 9mm subcompact. I do it. Springfield Armory told me I could do it. Shorter barrels prefer +p ammo. Actually most Civip Defense ammo is +p for that reason. You need the extra pressure to get the velocity of a longer barrel. Any round made for defense for a concealed carry gun is going to be +p. Now you can shoot regular ammo too you just don't get the velocity like you do with say a 4in barrel. You want +p ammo for a short barrel gun. You will have to clean it more and it will wear the barrel out faster but unless your competiton shooting with it its never going to make a difference.

Huh, just got my own question answered by Springfield: not recommended. Hot round causes failure to feed. Better in a full size pistol. About the length of recoil (?).

great, informative guy!
You can use +p in the XD Mod 2 9mm subcompact.i do and the gun actually cycles better with it. Think about this any "Civil Defense" round is +p that ammo is made for concealed carry guns, so short barrel guns. You need the +p to gain the velocity of shooting through a longer barrel. The XD Mod 2 has one of the shortest barrels on the market. I was super skeptical at first so I get it. I did alot of research before I tried it. O called Springfield Armory and the person on the phone told me yes you can use +p ammo but stay away from +p+. I personally keep mine loaded with Buffalo Bore +p Outdoorsman. And its hardcast. I do alot of wilderness expeditions so to say. My 9mm is my backup to my 12ga pump. So I had to have something heavy corelocked and booking it to penetrate a bear, mountain lion, wild boar, etc. My gun shoots that 147 +p better than a 147 HST JHP. You want that pressure to compensate for the loss of barrel. You do have to cleaHardcastle because it will cause more fouling and it will shorten the life of the gun and barrel but unless you are using it for competition shooting or you are using it for target ammo all day every day it won't effect your gun in anyway you would ever notice or could tell. I promise you all this is true. I wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt from an exploding barrel. And like I said I did 2 months worth of research before I tried it. If you use it you won't want to go back to regular ammo because you will see how much better that gun shoots with +p ammo. Most of the Defense ammo for small guns is +p. If you really pay attention and look 90% are +p. Most are alot lighter than the stuff I use like 50 grain to 90 grain. The dude that killed the Vrizzly in Alaska with a 9mm with the ammo I use had a short barrel gun.

Tests with 3.3" barrel show minimal increase in speed with +P rounds, like 5%. The published numbers usually are good for 4" barrel.
The increased case pressure (9% in +P case) can be achieved with deeper bullet setting. Bullet crimp also can increase that case pressure.
That case will yield tested a higher case PSI, but means close to nothing for the actual round being fired from such a short barrel. Note that 3.3" barrel actually measures the case too (for autoloaders is measured from breech face), so the actual traveled length by bullet it's even shorter.

You just have a bigger muzzle flash, bigger erosion of the barrel, and higher recoil. Longer time to re-acquire.

Personally I think a normal "P" HJP can do enough damage. Shot placement is more important than tiny extra speed.
Note that speed is not as important as the energy.

You need more oomph? For 9mm get a longer barrel. Go with 3.6", 3.7", 3.8"... there are options.

Last edited:
You can use +p in the XD Mod 2 9mm subcompact.i do and the gun actually cycles better with it. Think about this any "Civil Defense" round is +p that ammo is made for concealed carry guns, so short barrel guns. You need the +p to gain the velocity of shooting through a longer barrel. The XD Mod 2 has one of the shortest barrels on the market. I was super skeptical at first so I get it. I did alot of research before I tried it. O called Springfield Armory and the person on the phone told me yes you can use +p ammo but stay away from +p+. I personally keep mine loaded with Buffalo Bore +p Outdoorsman. And its hardcast. I do alot of wilderness expeditions so to say. My 9mm is my backup to my 12ga pump. So I had to have something heavy corelocked and booking it to penetrate a bear, mountain lion, wild boar, etc. My gun shoots that 147 +p better than a 147 HST JHP. You want that pressure to compensate for the loss of barrel. You do have to cleaHardcastle because it will cause more fouling and it will shorten the life of the gun and barrel but unless you are using it for competition shooting or you are using it for target ammo all day every day it won't effect your gun in anyway you would ever notice or could tell. I promise you all this is true. I wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt from an exploding barrel. And like I said I did 2 months worth of research before I tried it. If you use it you won't want to go back to regular ammo because you will see how much better that gun shoots with +p ammo. Most of the Defense ammo for small guns is +p. If you really pay attention and look 90% are +p. Most are alot lighter than the stuff I use like 50 grain to 90 grain. The dude that killed the Vrizzly in Alaska with a 9mm with the ammo I use had a short barrel gun.
As noted above, in short barrels, you get minimal gains with +P rounds, particularly when pushing super lightweight bullets; there is next to no dwell time in the barrel, leading to an inefficient burn.

+P does make a bit more sense with heavier bullets, you do tend to get a bit more % velocity gain...but at the end of the day, there isn’t likely going to be much difference on the receiving end (typically, +P rounds have a little more expansion, but less penetration than a standard pressure version of the same round—147gr HST vs 147gr HST+P, for example—but will have nearly identical amounts of tissue damage), and depending on the shooter, may slow down and/or reduce the accuracy of your follow ups...and rapid, accurate hits are what get rapid stops.

There are optimal barrel lengths for different ammo types and charge types, weights or propellants. Finding and combining them is a key. Hitting where and what the target is the goal. Exceeding or underrating that can sometimes be an issue. Is main target distance 10', 50' or 500'? What is basic weight and type of target is an objective. "Bullwinkle" it? Squirrel or moose?

Back