testtest

XDE 9mm 4.5 inch review

APPilot

Elite
Founding Member
Folks,

I wanted to give my opinion/review of my new 4.5 inch XDE.

Let me start by saying it’s just my opinion. I am NOT an expert, I just like to shoot, carry, defend my family. So, if I say something you find is not safe, or not ordinary, please let me know. I am still learning and would appreciate any feedback.

With that said here is my opinion/review:
I have been a fan of SA since I started carrying almost 10 years ago after leaving the state of Illinois. My first carry gun was/is the XD 9 subcompact. My second carry was/is the XDS mod 2 9mm. I have wanted an SA/DA carry for a while and have rented the Beretta M9 and the CZ 75. I’ve liked both, but didn’t want to spend the coin on manufacturers I don’t know.

So for my first SA/DA I went with the Springfield. I know there manual of arms, I know there quality and the price was right.

My first impressions were what you would expect from Springfield: QUALITY. Showed up in the plastic carrying case with all the bells and whistles. Came with 2 magazines:eek:ne 8 round mag, and one 9round mag. I ordered a third 9 round from SA and got it in 3 days.

I finally got a chance to get to the range with it and fell in love. It is smooth shooting, accurate and easy to pickup the sight picture. I put 400 rounds of various Ammo through it with no feeding issues at all. Stayed at 7yards for most of the time. And when I went to 15 and 20 yards it was easy to place the shot were I wanted. I was very, very happy.

There are things that are different from my other carry guns that I will have to get used to before it goes into the rotation:

1. The safety is hard for me to find and actuate.
2. The distance from the back of the grip to the front of the trigger guard is longer so finger placement outside the guard feels different. On the XDS I always stretch my finger across the guard. On the XDE my finger rests just differently enough that it feels strange to me so I will try different placement. Either on the lower frame under the slide or where I originally had it. Just repetition I guess.
3. How to carry? Hammer back with the safety engaged, or hammer down with one in the chamber and the long pull. Not sure yet about that one. Gotta practice with the safety and the long pull from a draw to make the decision. My range doesn’t allow drawing from the holster, so that will take some time.
4. Wishing for an extended magazine that will give me 11 or 12 rounds!

And that’s all I could be nit picky about.

Will try adding some pictures from my first range day the the XDE as well.

All I have to say in conclusion is: Well done Springfield! Another outstanding product! And one I will (after some more familiarity and practice) happily carry!

Attachments

• 9CCF2CB7-4FDA-41DA-A1F9-71BC299D16B1.jpeg
    9CCF2CB7-4FDA-41DA-A1F9-71BC299D16B1.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 147DFAC8-B037-49B1-81A4-0509A1B1C044.jpeg
    147DFAC8-B037-49B1-81A4-0509A1B1C044.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 220
Folks,

I wanted to give my opinion/review of my new 4.5 inch XDE.

Let me start by saying it’s just my opinion. I am NOT an expert, I just like to shoot, carry, defend my family. So, if I say something you find is not safe, or not ordinary, please let me know. I am still learning and would appreciate any feedback.

With that said here is my opinion/review:
I have been a fan of SA since I started carrying almost 10 years ago after leaving the state of Illinois. My first carry gun was/is the XD 9 subcompact. My second carry was/is the XDS mod 2 9mm. I have wanted an SA/DA carry for a while and have rented the Beretta M9 and the CZ 75. I’ve liked both, but didn’t want to spend the coin on manufacturers I don’t know.

So for my first SA/DA I went with the Springfield. I know there manual of arms, I know there quality and the price was right.

My first impressions were what you would expect from Springfield: QUALITY. Showed up in the plastic carrying case with all the bells and whistles. Came with 2 magazines:eek:ne 8 round mag, and one 9round mag. I ordered a third 9 round from SA and got it in 3 days.

I finally got a chance to get to the range with it and fell in love. It is smooth shooting, accurate and easy to pickup the sight picture. I put 400 rounds of various Ammo through it with no feeding issues at all. Stayed at 7yards for most of the time. And when I went to 15 and 20 yards it was easy to place the shot were I wanted. I was very, very happy.

There are things that are different from my other carry guns that I will have to get used to before it goes into the rotation:

1. The safety is hard for me to find and actuate.
2. The distance from the back of the grip to the front of the trigger guard is longer so finger placement outside the guard feels different. On the XDS I always stretch my finger across the guard. On the XDE my finger rests just differently enough that it feels strange to me so I will try different placement. Either on the lower frame under the slide or where I originally had it. Just repetition I guess.
3. How to carry? Hammer back with the safety engaged, or hammer down with one in the chamber and the long pull. Not sure yet about that one. Gotta practice with the safety and the long pull from a draw to make the decision. My range doesn’t allow drawing from the holster, so that will take some time.
4. Wishing for an extended magazine that will give me 11 or 12 rounds!

And that’s all I could be nit picky about.

Will try adding some pictures from my first range day the the XDE as well.

All I have to say in conclusion is: Well done Springfield! Another outstanding product! And one I will (after some more familiarity and practice) happily carry!
Awesome honest review!

Great review. I have the XD-E in 3.3", but have been considering the 4.5" for maybe slightly improved accuracy. I carry mine in a Cross Breed Super Tuck IWB with the safety off and the hammer de-cocked. To me, this is the safest way to carry it, and the DA trigger pull on the first round isn't bad at all. After that with the SA, it is Katy bar the door!

Since your range doesn't allow drawing from the holster , remove all ammo and simply practice the draw at home.

Being as I have short fingers , I always place my trigger finger on the frame above the trigger guard. You gave an honest review of your new firearm and I for one saw nothing wrong with it. Now , practice , practice , practice. (y)

If it’s your daily carry how proficient are you drawing from the holster and putting your first shot on target with “condition 2”? With me, if I can draw and get my first hit on target quicker than I can carrying “condition 1” then I would feel comfortable carrying that way. My Beretta, my 1911 I carry cocked and locked as it was intended. But that would be something I would do if I were you is compare the two, check your times check to see which you are more proficient with. Nothing wrong with carrying cocked and locked keep it in a good holster that covers the trigger and you will have no issues. Great review btw.

I carry my 3.3 XDe 9mm decocked with the safety on. When I practice drawing from the holster, I take the safety off as the draw is happening. Took a little while to get that coordinated, but now it is natural. As I stated in another thread, I sometimes pull the hammer back from my normal carry (locked, loaded, decocked) and go straight to single action. Your review was great, and like you, I am very, very happy with the firearm.

Back