testtest

XDE Firing Pin

Question..does the XDE have a firing pin safety where if the hammer gets snagged and is pulled back and released, the gun will not fire unless the trigger is also fully pressed (or said another way, can the gun be fired simply by pulling the hammer back and releasing it with on in the chamber or does the Automatic firing pin safety prevent).

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
Hello braneworks. Welcome to the forum. Good question. Although the gun should never do that, one never knows... Your question peaked my interest so I but a laser cartridge in mine and tried it. I am thinking you are talking about the hammer being forced back and released before you hear the audible click and it locks in single action? I pulled the hammer back to varying degrees and released it. Mine acts the same as if you used the de-cocking lever so the hammer never hits the firing pin when I release it, so no light from the laser cartridge. In my case, the gun does not fire. (yes the laser cartridge works if I pull the trigger so the cartridge is working.) I would recommend you test yours similarly to make sure you get the same results. I hope this answered your question

jmcd...thanks for the welcome and the detailed example. Yes you are correct, I was thinking the hammer "slipped" from one's thumb in the act of manually cocking or if while carried decocked, the hammer was snagged and unknowingly pulled back and released (before locking back). The manual makes no mention of a passive safety or firing safety pin block. I am thinking purchasing one for carry but it's an important safety feature I am looking for.

It's a great firearm (in my opinion) Post any other questions you may have about it. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum.

Welcome braneworks. Like @jmcd, but with out the laser cartridge, I tried moving the hammer on my XDe as you suggested. Obviously, half or full cocked required either decocker (safely/no fire), or trigger (fire), to drop the hammer. Releasing the hammer before half cocked, would drop (so your question was a good and valid one), but I assumed it would be safe as if it was dropped with the decocker. By no means should you take my opinion (or any opinion) as fact (and jmcd's test was more conclusive then mine), but you should call Springfield's customer service to verify this before you purchase this fine pistol. Good luck

Thanks for looking at yours @BET7. You're right. Always good advice to call Springfield with questions.

Curious? Does the XDE have a half cock notch or “shelf” like a 1911 and if so if you were to fire from that would it fire a round? With the series 80 and the hammer at the half notch it won’t fire a round, it doesn’t have enough force to. Just curious if this is the same case for the XDE.

The xde has a quarter cocked notch/shear that prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pin unless the trigger is fully depressed, which brings me to the second safety that comes into play, the drop safety. The drop safety blocks the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger is fully depressed and the arm that engages the drop safety is raised at the end of the trigger pull travel.

That's why if you wanted to move the firing pin forward by hand with the gun disassembled, you'd need to depress the oval drop safety before the firing pin can be engaged.

I personally consider this firearm to be well thought out and extremely safe, respectively

Back