testtest

XDM slide jamming intermittently

Need some advice. My wife bought a brand-new XDM Mod 2 double-stack in 9mm a few months ago. We've probably run around 300 to 400 rounds through it, mostly roundball, with some hollow-points. When she went to take her LTC firearms test, the slide jammed. I attributed it to the ammo she was given to run. So we loaded it with high-quality 115 grain roundball. Same problem. Every so often, the slide will jam. Here's the weird part...it's NOT the ammo. I've field stripped it. Cleaned it. Lubed it. Reassembled it. and racked the slide a couple of hundred times, with no magazine in the pistol. Maybe every 50th time, it will jam up again. This is driving me NUTS. If it won't run reliably, I can't in good conscience have her depend on it. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm at the end of my (admittedly non-expert) expertise.

Need some advice. My wife bought a brand-new XDM Mod 2 double-stack in 9mm a few months ago. We've probably run around 300 to 400 rounds through it, mostly roundball, with some hollow-points. When she went to take her LTC firearms test, the slide jammed. I attributed it to the ammo she was given to run. So we loaded it with high-quality 115 grain roundball. Same problem. Every so often, the slide will jam. Here's the weird part...it's NOT the ammo. I've field stripped it. Cleaned it. Lubed it. Reassembled it. and racked the slide a couple of hundred times, with no magazine in the pistol. Maybe every 50th time, it will jam up again. This is driving me NUTS. If it won't run reliably, I can't in good conscience have her depend on it. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm at the end of my (admittedly non-expert) expertise.
Define jam? Lock open? Is this a sub compact?

Last edited:
So speaking from my experience I've had an xd mod.2 tactical for 2 years now i shoot it frequently put 2000 rounds maybe more through it the only time it has jammed has been when my wife shoots it it tends to stove pipe frequently i know my wife is experienced she shoots her hk usp without any problems. But for some reason it jams on her and only her. I'm assuming it's because she flintches when shooting it for some reason. Not saying that that's why just offering my experience.

I'm saying, with the gun unloaded, placing my left palm on the left side of the slide, fingers across the top, grasping the slide near the muzzle, when I rack the slide repeatedly, it will jam about every 20th to 50th time. It has nothing to do with touching the slide lock. It's not a shooting problem. There's something internal to the gun that's causing this.

How old is the gun? When you say the gun is unloaded, and the mag is out, the slide will not close all the way when you cycle it?

Last edited:
I have the .45 XD.Mod 2 Sub Compact & the XDm 5.25" 10mm. I've noticed that the Grip Safety has to be fully depressed to fully rack the slide. If my hand is just a bit low on the grip or loosely comes somewhat off the Grip Safety, the Grip Safety doesn't fully get depressed and the the slide won't rack. I'm not saying this is your problem, but perhaps there is something wrong with your Grip Safety internally that potentially needs repair and it is causing your problem. Just a thought.

I have the .45 XD.Mod 2 Sub Compact & the XDm 5.25" 10mm. I've noticed that the Grip Safety has to be fully depressed to fully rack the slide. If my hand is just a bit low on the grip or loosely comes somewhat off the Grip Safety, the Grip Safety doesn't fully get depressed and the the slide won't rack. I'm not saying this is your problem, but perhaps there is something wrong with your Grip Safety internally that potentially needs repair and it is causing your problem. Just a thought.
I was thinking the same, grip safety might be the issue here.

Back