testtest

Zeroing 7.5” AR15 pistol

I’m pretty familiar with the concept of sighting in a rifle and the rise and fall of the trajectory. But wondering what you guys who own an AR pistol use as a zero with your RDS? From internet searches, it seems the common thought is to zero at 50 yards. But from what I’ve read, at a 50 yard zero, you’d be about 4” high at 25 yards. Sighting in at 25 yards, you’d be around 10-14” high at 100 yards.

Let’s just say you mainly want to use the gun for home defense (fairly close quarters- maybe 15-25 yards)/, but would like to take a maximum shot of 100 yards, what distance would you zero the gun?

Add to that - the range I’m going to shoot at is only 25 yards. So, depending on your recommendation on what distance to zero, how high or low should I be at 25 yards to achieve that zero.

Really hope all this makes sense. Lol.

My favorite has been the 36 yard zero for an AR platform. Without going into a lot of detail, just trust me that it gives you the smallest cluster of impact points for all the distances that your short barrel is likely to engage.

Here is the 25 yard target that gives a 36 yard zero:

My favorite has been the 36 yard zero for an AR platform. Without going into a lot of detail, just trust me that it gives you the smallest cluster of impact points for all the distances that your short barrel is likely to engage.

Here is the 25 yard target that gives a 36 yard zero:

Problem is, that’s for a carbine length or longer barrel...7.5 is gonna be a lot different due to drastically decreased velocity.

OP—I'd zero for my most likely used distance—sounds like you'd probably want to go for 50 feet or closer—and then figure out what my impacts were at longer distances.

Thanks guys. I actually went to the range earlier today. RDS was dead on center at 25 yards. Adjusted to be about 2.5 inches low at 25. Took a few shots at about 15 yards and was about 3 inches low. Suppose that’s good enough for now. I’ll have a chance at some point to see where that gets me at 50 & 100 yards. Hopefully I won’t need it at those distances any time soon.

I used 50/200 for my carbine. I have no clue for an AR pistol. Generally with any pistol I sight them in at whatever yardage I'm going to shoot them at. Carry pistols I sight in about 12 yards, target pistols 25 yards, shotguns 20 yards.

With the carbine zero'ed at 50 yards I'm hitting 8" targets consistently from 12 out to 150 yards, which is the longest range at my club.

Back