testtest

Concealed carry for a bass guitarist

Jimbo

Elite
Here's an interesting thought that I'll bet a lot of you never thought about - concealed carrying while playing the bass guitar.

I carry in my front right pants pocket. This is the ideal carry spot for me, except for one thing: I play the bass guitar, and the heavy bass rests on top of my gun when I am playing! I don't like the idea of a heavy bass guitar resting on top of my gun. Also, I wonder what the constant vibrations are doing to my bullets.

So far, my solution has been to shorten my guitar strap, thereby raising the bass to where it is above the gun, not on the gun. However, this is not the ideal solution, because I have tendonitis in my right arm, and the only comfortable way to play is with my arm fully extended. When the strap is short and the bass sits high, I have to bend my arm the entire time I play, a painful experience.

I believe the ideal solution would be to get some sort of bracket that straps onto my leg with an extension that the bass could rest on, keeping it from touching my leg (and sitting on my gun). So far, I haven't found anything like this.

Anyone else have any experience with this issue? Any thoughts?

Here's an interesting thought that I'll bet a lot of you never thought about - concealed carrying while playing the bass guitar.

I carry in my front right pants pocket. This is the ideal carry spot for me, except for one thing: I play the bass guitar, and the heavy bass rests on top of my gun when I am playing! I don't like the idea of a heavy bass guitar resting on top of my gun. Also, I wonder what the constant vibrations are doing to my bullets.

So far, my solution has been to shorten my guitar strap, thereby raising the bass to where it is above the gun, not on the gun. However, this is not the ideal solution, because I have tendonitis in my right arm, and the only comfortable way to play is with my arm fully extended. When the strap is short and the bass sits high, I have to bend my arm the entire time I play, a painful experience.

I believe the ideal solution would be to get some sort of bracket that straps onto my leg with an extension that the bass could rest on, keeping it from touching my leg (and sitting on my gun). So far, I haven't found anything like this.

1629671908030.jpeg

Am joking on pic. Possibly a belly band or ankle holster may work?

Last edited:

Jimbo- You might try moving it to the other front pocket when playing although this would slow acquisition. The Desantis Super Fly comes with a removable velcro attached cover flap that will make it print like a wallet and may give you a flat surface for your bass to rest on or go with a small-of-back pancake IWB. Whatever you choose, be sure the trigger guard area is covered and I don't think you'll have a problem.

Last edited:

What about committing to learn to shoot with your left hand?
You already have some good dexterity there from the instrument.
That way, you could move the pistol to the left side and who knows, you may impress the girls with that little extra buldge!
It's not as hard as you may imagine.

I hope that pistol in you pocket is inside a holster.

Last edited:
Last edited:
What about committing to learn to shoot with your left hand?
You already have some good dexterity there from the instrument.
That way, you could move the pistol to the left side and who knows, you may impress the girls with that little extra buldge!
It's not as hard as you may imagine.

I hope that pistol in you pocket is inside a holster.
I use a Sticky Holster when I pocket carry.

I actually used to carry my Ruger in my left pocket. It worked out very well, until I thought about what I would do if I had to draw and fire for real, especially if I had to load my spare magazine - I think it would be too awkward to pull off successfully when I am under the stress of having to draw and fire for real. However, the key problem is that the safety is only on one side (for the right hand), and so if I draw with my left hand, it will be very awkward turning off the safety. (I don't want to carry a striker fired gun without the safety on; please don't suggest that!)

I want to have everything set up in the most natural way if I ever have to draw and fire, so I decided to carry in my right pocket. I've had a heck of a time learning to put my keys and everything else in the left pocket! Now that I'm finally getting used to having my keys in my left pocket, I don't want to change yet again.

So even though the left pocket is a good idea, it won't work for my Ruger. However, if I can come up with the money to buy a Springfield XDE, I might reconsider - thin, single stack, DA/SA hammer fired. I wouldn't feel the need to leave the safety on if I carried that gun. But there's still that spare magazine that I might have to load.

Basically, everything is lined up well for me to carry in my right pocket, except for when I play the bass. So I will still carry in my right pocket, and I'll come up with a work around for when I play the bass. I KNOW that carrying in the right pocket is the best decision for me at this time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been a gigging bassist for over 40 years now. The majority of that with a '74 4001 which is heavy and valuable. We usually have our own goons to keep morons off the stage and away from my gear. I've played some seedy places and only on rare occasion have I been armed on my person. Often sitting on my amp in a small laptop bag and once or twice, SOB. So if you are intent on carrying while on stage I would suggest getting a support hand holster and wearing it small of back.

I play in church, not in clubs, so I don't think I'll have a problem with state law, such as the law that prohibits carrying in a place that primarily sells alcohol. In fact, in my state, as long as your church is in agreement with your carrying, you can carry while in church. My church has no problem with your carrying while in church, as long as you give them a photocopy of your carry permit.

Greetings,

Thanks to Mr. @TSiWRX I get to join another gun forum. ;)

Certainly be aware of state and local penal codes regarding where it is illegal to carry. I do carry on most of my gigs except for the ones where I know it's strictly illegal, and that's actually not very many. I also carry in church where I play on the worship team on occasion. But I'll not address all the legality issues because they vary from state to state and local jurisdictions. I'll address just the mechanics of my "performance carry".

I used to play my pass pretty high, like a lot of jazz guys do. In my formative years I played a lot of jazz but now I'm just an old country bass player. I don't play my six string much any more in favor of a 5 string that looks more traditional "P-bass" country. These days, to wear my bass up high enough to get over my grip would be odd for me, plus I think it would increase the chance of printing.

I carry right hand IWB at (or between) the 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock position, depending on where the belt loops are on my pants. My bass contacts me right at the 12 o'clock position on my belt buckle so it's not in constant contact with my XD9. I must admit, I have not practiced drawing from concealed while wearing my bass. Shame on me. But in an emergency that bass would hit the floor quickly so I could draw unrestricted.

I really don't imagine that the vibrations or resonance from the wood in your bass guitar would affect the gun or ammo at all. The ammo cartridge is pressed together with some heavy duty, high tolerance machines. I doubt tickling it with some bass vibes will cause it to shimmy or shake loose. :D

Oh, do you sit when you play? If so, IWB would definitely be a viable solution.

Are you extending your right arm fully? Your "plucking" hand? That means your bass is pretty low. Seems the body of your bass would be resting right on top of your right front pocket. If this is the case, then again, IWB could be advantageous to you.

Where I have to make the most adjustments is when carrying and setting up my gear. Be very careful how you bend, lift, walk up stairs, etc. I once knocked out a full magazine from its carrier. It made a pretty good "thump!" when it hit the hollow stage. Luckily no one was around so I picked it up quickly and snuck it back under my shirt.

Anyway, that's just how I do it. I'm still learning the ins and outs, what works best in each situation. I find myself thinking ahead, "How can I perform this task without exposing the goods?" kind of thing.

Yep, carrying on this gig. Nobody could tell. I was even chatting up the local uniformed police who were at the event.

AM-JKLXyKI8UOA8L5MjcteepYJ26WtFKlVYV8OvGArED2iXzD3-_Xdy5M744L2ycYX2UTRf8SmttzRwzsgeSoKLZPRoFqeXbcnG5UjrTMfIihS85ECnA7Vz5HJvQI4DA2esfzURzEF4Kl02Pd54T5l8vj_UCQg=w1274-h955-no

Ha! There were six of those dual 18" subs around the stage. I could feel every one of them. ;)

Thanks for putting up with me and my profound glimpse into the obvious. Be free.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back