testtest

In your opinion

I don't know how anyone could draw any conclusion! I don't know how one can say a shotgun is a common platform? Few would be interchangeable. Are you maybe asking about selling point? Are you asking about in your (my) collection? I only have 2 shotguns, but many in AR platform. I might be missing something?

I like SA revolvers better for example, but for what's out there and more common is likely another thing?

Striker fired pistols may be taking over as more common place soon though if they haven't already?
AR's may be more common in some circles, but likely not as wide spread in other areas.

Interesting. You guys have got me thinking with these different answers. I would have thought that striker fired handguns were the most common platform. But now I think that they are the most popular if you count only the last decade or so.

I would think that the vast majority of guns being sold these days are handguns, and of those, most would be 9mm striker fired. But if you figure in all of the areas in the US where handguns are severely restricted but long guns (particularly shotguns) have little to no restrictions, I would say that shotguns are a good candidate for being the most common platform.

It sounds like there are a huge number of ways we could break this down - by caliber, by the shooting mechanism (striker vs hammer), by long gun vs hand gun, etc etc.

Interesting. You guys have got me thinking with these different answers. I would have thought that striker fired handguns were the most common platform. But now I think that they are the most popular if you count only the last decade or so.

I would think that the vast majority of guns being sold these days are handguns, and of those, most would be 9mm striker fired. But if you figure in all of the areas in the US where handguns are severely restricted but long guns (particularly shotguns) have little to no restrictions, I would say that shotguns are a good candidate for being the most common platform.

It sounds like there are a huge number of ways we could break this down - by caliber, by the shooting mechanism (striker vs hammer), by long gun vs hand gun, etc etc.
I’d be willing to wager that the most common handgun in the US would be a .38 revolver, based on how many are out there, and that they’ve been a common choice for 120 years, give or take.

My completely unresearched opinion would be pump shotguns. Though with the proliferation of RTC I wouldn’t be too shocked if it was actually striker pistols. Or even ARs.
I think there’s a ton of .38s and shotguns that have been languishing in drawers or behind couches for decades and I’m not sure the criteria should be the total number in existence.

Back