testtest

Which CCW Insurance Program?

jumpinjoe

Professional
I know just a few days ago there was a thread about someone getting the run-around over his membership availability 'not being found' or something real similar. I don't remember ever seeing a solution for him and was wondering if there was one and would like to know again which company that was.

At the same time I'm seriously considering getting some kind of coverage and looking for your recommendations as to which company seems best and why. I'd appreciate your recommendations as to which company you see as best overall.

I think right now I'm leaning towards CCW Safe and their 'Defender' plan. I would appreciate any comments you may have .... good or not so good.

I have CCW Safe - I believe I have the Defender plan - I have the one for military and first responders. I chose CCW Safe for the following reasons:
  1. They are self-funded - no anti-gun groups will be able to pressure the insurance company providing the insurance to drop them, like they did with the NRA insurance offering (NRA Carry Guard).
  2. If I need a lawyer, there is no maximum limit on my legal costs. That will make it possible to present the very best defense in court.
  3. I can either choose my own lawyer, or ask CCW Safe for a lawyer.
  4. The chief legal counsel for CCW Safe is the lawyer who successfully defended George Zimmerman. If he was able to accomplish that, then CCW Safe knows what they are doing in the court room with this sort of case.
Points 1, 2, and 4 were key in my deciding to go with CCW Safe.

Quite frankly, I was put off by the huge flood of ads I was receiving from USCCA. I wondered if PR, rather than insurance, was their area of expertise. That was one of the reasons I didn't go with them.

Last edited:
I have CCW Safe - I believe I have the Defender plan - I have the one for military and first responders. I chose CCW Safe for the following reasons:
  1. They are self-funded - no anti-gun groups will be able to pressure the insurance company providing the insurance to drop them, like they did with the NRA insurance offering (NRA Carry Guard).
  2. If I need a lawyer, there is no maximum limit on my legal costs. That will make it possible to present the very best defense in court.
  4. The chief legal counsel for CCW Safe is the lawyer who successfully defended George Zimmerman. If he was able to accomplish that, then CCW Safe knows what they are doing in the court room with this sort of case.

Quite frankly, I was put off by the huge flood of ads I was receiving from USCCA. I wondered if PR, rather than insurance, was their area of expertise. That was one of the reasons I didn't go with them.

"Quite frankly, I was put off by the huge flood of ads I was receiving from USCCA. I wondered if PR, rather than insurance, was their area of expertise. That was one of the reasons I didn't go with them."
- Definitely. Same here, worse than the proverbial used car salesman pitch.

I'm a member of US Law Shield. I narrowed it down to 4 different plans and then did a plan by plan comparison. IMHO because each has different features and different prices there is no one size fits all. You really need to review them to find out which fits you.

"Quite frankly, I was put off by the huge flood of ads I was receiving from USCCA. I wondered if PR, rather than insurance, was their area of expertise. That was one of the reasons I didn't go with them."

The amount of spam email I got from USCCA was actually insane. That alone was reason enough to never want to do business.

I like US Law Shield / Texas Law Shield. Got a really good rate from them for me and my g/f when we took our LTC classes back in January. Lost my job like 3 weeks after that. Got a full refund no questions asked, and they kept my rate locked in for whenever we were ready to rejoin. I got an email here or there, and one phone call probably 6 months after I had canceled. Not pushy at all, no spam, and protection that felt more like a program of attorneys and not an insurance scam.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm a member of US Law Shield. I narrowed it down to 4 different plans and then did a plan by plan comparison. IMHO because each has different features and different prices there is no one size fits all. You really need to review them to find out which fits you.
I chose CCW Safe but i don't remember why exactly. The most important part of any plan is the defense coverage.

*Provided up until a court of competent jurisdiction enters a finding of guilt, at which time no further coverage is available under the policy and we will seek reimbursement for the cost of the legal defense.
This is similar to a bond. You pay a fee for a c(contract) bond but if it is ever called you have to reimburse the bonding company.

I requested a quote now I have to wait for someone to get back to me. As a broker, maybe I can sell their products.
They have a Marina and Auto dealer program. I am done with the amusement business.

I also quit using USCCA because of their ads. It wasn't the existence of the ads that bothered me as much as the gimmicky nature of the ads. They undermine the credibility of the company.

I use Texas Law Shield. Thankfully, I have never had to use it, but the seem to be a good organization and provide some excellent resources about changing laws, etc.

CCW Safe also offers a special program for LEOSA carriers. I have used other programs in the past but this is what I'm using now.

I just visited their website.........none of them in the photos were smiling. Attorney Don West looks like my kind of guy.

*Provided up until a court of competent jurisdiction enters a finding of guilt, at which time no further coverage is available under the policy and we will seek reimbursement for the cost of the legal defense.
This is similar to a bond. You pay a fee for a c(contract) bond but if it is ever called you have to reimburse the bonding company.

I requested a quote now I have to wait for someone to get back to me. As a broker, maybe I can sell their products.
They have a Marina and Auto dealer program. I am done with the amusement business.
I'm confused; Could you explain that clause? Surely it does not mean that if you lose your case in court in a self defense challenge, you are then left hanging with the legal fees???

Provided up until a court of competent jurisdiction enters a finding of guilt, at which time no further coverage is available under the policy and we will seek reimbursement for the cost of the legal defense.
Which provider did you paste this from?

I just visited their website.........none of them in the photos were smiling. Attorney Don West looks like my kind of guy.
He sounds like my kind of guy - he has a lot of good things to say on the CCW podcasts.

Here are several of their podcasts - all have really great and vital information that you need to know if you are going to carry:

Last edited:
I'm confused; Could you explain that clause? Surely it does not mean that if you lose your case in court in a self defense challenge, you are then left hanging with the legal fees???
My response is from the Xinsurance website and that is exactly what it means. If you lose, you have to reimburse the company the cost of the defense. Xinsurance is an agency and Prime(is) is the brokerage.
The limit is not sufficient. 25,000/50,000/100,000 is not sufficient. (My professional opinion)
Who is the carrier? Admitted or non admitted?
Is defense in addition to damage or inclusive in the policy limit?
These are the 3 questions I posed.
Which provider did you paste this from?
That is from Xinsurance website.

CCW Safe Defender Plan
With 100% upfront costs coverage provided pursuant to the contracted plan, there are no out-of-pocket expenses for our members. CCW Safe Plans are not reimbursement packages, and no repayment to our company by the member is owed, despite how any legal action is settled
Takes place in the “Policy Territory;”-
  1. Any self-defense shooting occurring in any location that honors your concealed carry permit, with a legally licensed firearms according to the terms of your concealed carry permit.
  1. Civil Defense & Liability, Supplementary Payments: is an add on

This is why I chose CCW Safe.

My response is from the Xinsurance website and that is exactly what it means. If you lose, you have to reimburse the company the cost of the defense. Xinsurance is an agency and Prime(is) is the brokerage.
The limit is not sufficient. 25,000/50,000/100,000 is not sufficient. (My professional opinion)
Who is the carrier? Admitted or non admitted?
Is defense in addition to damage or inclusive in the policy limit?
These are the 3 questions I posed.

That is from Xinsurance website.
Defense is within the limit of insurance per carrier. They appear to be a non admitted company.
A non admitted carrier is licensed in that state but are not required to file the rates or forms used by the carrier. (Insurance company) and not subject to the State Guarantee fund and you have to pay tax on the coverage.
The State Guarantee fund protects you if the insurance company goes bankrupt and can not pay claims.
Tax is a percentage of the premium and in Ohio it is 5%. plus policy fees.

Defense is within the limit of insurance per carrier. They appear to be a non admitted company.
A non admitted carrier is licensed in that state but are not required to file the rates or forms used by the carrier. (Insurance company) and not subject to the State Guarantee fund and you have to pay tax on the coverage.
The State Guarantee fund protects you if the insurance company goes bankrupt and can not pay claims.
Tax is a percentage of the premium and in Ohio it is 5%. plus policy fees.
Thank you for clarifying. I greatly appreciate it.

I know just a few days ago there was a thread about someone getting the run-around over his membership availability 'not being found' or something real similar. I don't remember ever seeing a solution for him and was wondering if there was one and would like to know again which company that was.

At the same time I'm seriously considering getting some kind of coverage and looking for your recommendations as to which company seems best and why. I'd appreciate your recommendations as to which company you see as best overall.

I think right now I'm leaning towards CCW Safe and their 'Defender' plan. I would appreciate any comments you may have .... good or not so good.
and to this day, there still hasn't been any solution(s), after i have personally exhausted all avenues on my end.

Back