testtest

Thinking about a “wheel gun”

neil0311

Master Class
The one type of handgun I’ve never owned or fired is a revolver. Just never saw the need, especially given they usually are chambered in a legacy caliber like .38 special or .357 magnum, and I’m not eager to buy/stock new types of ammo.

Thinking about a wheel gun now. Can anyone recommend a revolver that might be good for range use only that’s chambered in 9mm or .45 ACP? Those are my two “supported” handgun calibers.

Anything about cleaning/maintenance of revolvers that makes them more difficult?

The one type of handgun I’ve never owned or fired is a revolver. Just never saw the need, especially given they usually are chambered in a legacy caliber like .38 special or .357 magnum, and I’m not eager to buy/stock new types of ammo.

Thinking about a wheel gun now. Can anyone recommend a revolver that might be good for range use only that’s chambered in 9mm or .45 ACP? Those are my two “supported” handgun calibers.

Anything about cleaning/maintenance of revolvers that makes them more difficult?
I got the S&W 625JM in .45, there is also a regular 625, I am not sure if these are still in production right now, but there available yet.

EA0A5F2F-77DD-4ADB-9962-3026822ED16B.jpeg

i never had any thoughts of revolvers myself. then one day, i said to myself...

"self, why not a revolver"...??

so, i now own 4 of them.

they all shoot 38 special/357 magnums.

well to be honest, the .357 magnums are powerful, and the ,38's are way more "smoother" , allowing me to acquire the target faster. plus, it does not tire out my hands as fast as with a .357.....

the 4 revolvers i have are:

1) Korth Mongoose 6" barrel

2) S&W 686 Plus 6" barrel

3) Colt Python 6" barrel

4) Ruger GP 100 2.5" barrel

a slightly different cleaning/lube process, and lead/carbon removal over say nearly any semi-automatic

fun guns, for sure..

but even though i have many rounds of .357, i only shoot say about 25 rnds then switch over to .38 specials.

and too, from what i have been told and read, shoot the .357's first, THEN the .38 specials, as the .38 specials leave a "ring" in the chamber that may hinder loading the .357's....

more experienced revolvers guys here can chime in on what i was told/read.

when i shoot off all my .357's..??

i'll buy pretty much only buy/reload .38's......these are range toys, not for home defense, or carry.

Revolvers don't present increased cleaning difficulty in my opinion but maintenance is a bother if the timing gets goofed up for some reason. I hope you do get one. You just can't beat them for some pinpoint range use, especially in single action.

I either own or have owned many .45acp revolvers—mainly S&W’s (a couple M1917’s, 625’s, and numerous 325’s), but a Colt M1917 as well.

I’d stick with the S&W’s, myself; they’ve been making them for over a century.

As for 9mm revolvers? While I get the desire for ammo commonality…I’d sooner have a .38. If you really want to go that way, get a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with a 9mm conversion cylinder.

Last edited:
Easy one, first -

.....to which @benstt replied -
Revolvers don't present increased cleaning difficulty in my opinion but maintenance is a bother if the timing gets goofed up for some reason. I hope you do get one. You just can't beat them for some pinpoint range use, especially in single action.
^ This is where I am at, too, @neil0311.

And towards this, the great Jim Miculek recently released this video:

Similarly, Greg Ellifritz's many writings on the revolver makes his Active Response Training blog a great resource for modern defensive wheel gun info:

-----

So, I'm going to play the devil's advocate on this one. ;) Would you mind allowing me to debate your choice to not stock another type of ammo? :) If you're up for it, please let me know - but if your mind is closed/settled on this one already, I won't pry. :)

Easy one, first -

.....to which @benstt replied -

^ This is where I am at, too, @neil0311.

And towards this, the great Jim Miculek recently released this video:

Similarly, Greg Ellifritz's many writings on the revolver makes his Active Response Training blog a great resource for modern defensive wheel gun info:

-----

So, I'm going to play the devil's advocate on this one. ;) Would you mind allowing me to debate your choice to not stock another type of ammo? :) If you're up for it, please let me know - but if your mind is closed/settled on this one already, I won't pry. :)
I'll piggyback on this for a minute: you can't beat a good .357 mag for an all-around handgun. Load it with heavies and it'll drop almost anything and beat out all but the most serious pistol rounds (no, a 10mm is not ballisticly superior or the same as a hot .357). Drop in some standard .38 specials and it's a no-recoil handgun that fires a heavy bullet you can put on a dime. If you're dead set on sticking with 9mm and .45acp that's totally valid and they're great cartridges. As people said above, Smith and Wesson cracked the code on revolvers years ago. They're just right.

I have an RIA AL 9 (9mm) 6 shot revolver. It's probably more accurate than I am, and I enjoy plinking with it. Only draw back is that it requires moon clips. Might keep you caliber true.
That is the drawback of using rimless rounds on a revolver; the exception is the single action conversion cylinders (Ruger Blackhawk, in particular; I have a .45Colt with a .45acp conversion cylinder that is quite fun)…but those are single action.

Charter makes a double action model that doesn’t need them, also, but they seem to be hit & miss as far as reliability.

I'll piggyback on this for a minute: you can't beat a good .357 mag for an all-around handgun. Load it with heavies and it'll drop almost anything and beat out all but the most serious pistol rounds (no, a 10mm is not ballisticly superior or the same as a hot .357). Drop in some standard .38 specials and it's a no-recoil handgun that fires a heavy bullet you can put on a dime. If you're dead set on sticking with 9mm and .45acp that's totally valid and they're great cartridges. As people said above, Smith and Wesson cracked the code on revolvers years ago. They're just right.
Agreed 100% on the .357. In an N-frame Smith like a Model 28, or the newer 627, even the heaviest loads are easy to control….38’s feel like you’re shooting a big .22.

As you said, it takes truly boutique auto loader rounds like .45 Super or .460 Rowland to beat .357 magnum power (10mm can equal it, but not beat it, despite what the 10mm fans claim).

It’s one of my favorite rounds, period. I’ve got, at last count…11? 12? .357 revolvers, and close to that many .38’s.

There's another world sometimes in revolvers. Single action, double action for starters. Then grip type Bisley, Plowhandle, Birshead, etc. Barrel length is another consideration. For just range use. wouldn't over look something chambered in .22LR because of it's lower cost and availability. Ruger has more than a few very good quality dual chambered revolvers at a fair price. Personally like .327 Federal Magnum for all around use because of the variety of ammo it can use. It's worth a look and there's a variety of info available on the forum about the caliber and it's features. There's also a few dual chambered Ruger revolvers in the following link:

This link will take you too Ruger revolvers:

There's another world sometimes in revolvers. Single action, double action for starters. Then grip type Bisley, Plowhandle, Birshead, etc. Barrel length is another consideration. For just range use. wouldn't over look something chambered in .22LR because of it's lower cost and availability. Ruger has more than a few very good quality dual chambered revolvers at a fair price. Personally like .327 Federal Magnum for all around use because of the variety of ammo it can use. It's worth a look and there's a variety of info available on the forum about the caliber and it's features. There's also a few dual chambered Ruger revolvers in the following link:

This link will take you too Ruger revolvers:

I love my Rugers; they're unstoppable, overbuilt workhorses I carry in the wilderness. Those things are tanks that soak up to the stoutest +p+ rounds I can find. They aren't anywhere near as refined as a Smith, though, so for a single-purpose range gun that's not going to get a lot of exposure to the elements or have to stand up to a steady diet of hot magnums I'd go with the Smith. Between a Super Redhawk (a scaled-up GP100) and a 686 there is no comparison in the smoothness of the action.

Agreed 100% on the .357. In an N-frame Smith like a Model 28, or the newer 627, even the heaviest loads are easy to control….38’s feel like you’re shooting a big .22.

As you said, it takes truly boutique auto loader rounds like .45 Super or .460 Rowland to beat .357 magnum power (10mm can equal it, but not beat it, despite what the 10mm fans claim).

It’s one of my favorite rounds, period. I’ve got, at last count…11? 12? .357 revolvers, and close to that many .38’s.
This, all day long. I have taken probably a dozen deer and a bear with a 357 magnum.

It's a round I trust implicitly. And just personally, in bad breath range with a dangerous creature, including man, I want a revolver over a pistol any day.

I got one of these this year. It's nice (K-frame size). Uses Moon clips that are readily available.

I love my Rugers; they're unstoppable, overbuilt workhorses I carry in the wilderness. Those things are tanks that soak up to the stoutest +p+ rounds I can find. They aren't anywhere near as refined as a Smith, though, so for a single-purpose range gun that's not going to get a lot of exposure to the elements or have to stand up to a steady diet of hot magnums I'd go with the Smith. Between a Super Redhawk (a scaled-up GP100) and a 686 there is no comparison in the smoothness of the action.

Mr. Ruger's SP101. While it handles .357, I mostly shoot .38 + P Federal 158 grain Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Points better known as the FBI load that has been around a long time. During the summer months I load a couple of CCI shot shells in it for copperheads that I might encounter while walking the dog.
IMG_1480.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 115
I got one of these this year. It's nice (K-frame size). Uses Moon clips that are readily available.

I’m really thinking about one of their .22WMR revolvers.

Gotta get one in hand first, though.

Back