testtest

Best home defense - home?

Do the best you can with what you got. The fact is You’re probably not going to be defending your home against a gang of well trained assailants, so forget about all the James Bond BS. Solid wood doors with security locks, Medeco locks installed correctly, steel plates and 4" screws on all the strikers, alarms, dog or two, strategically located and well hidden weapons. Train your family, have a plan. You know, be prepared.

Last edited:
Do the best you can with what you got. The fact is unless you are a spook or a drug dealer you're probably not going to be defending your home against a gang of well trained assailants, so forget about all the James Bond BS. Solid wood doors with security locks, Medeco locks installed correctly, steel plates and 4" screws on all the strikers, alarms, dog or two, strategically located and well hidden weapons. Train your family, have a plan. You know, be prepared.
Not everyone can afford those features like medeco locks which aren't cheap and some people who live in apartments cannot own dogs or modify the doors for more security so alternative options maybe needed for some. The city I grew up in had a lot of home invasions going on one summer with a few armed thugs kicking in apartment or house doors looking for whatever they can sell.
The neighborhood I grew up in had 3 home invasions in a two week span. The chances of armed aggression is higher for some people that just happen to live in a different environment.

This is just food for thought.

Not everyone can afford those features like medeco locks which aren't cheap and some people live in apartments cannot own dogs or modify the doors for more security so alternative options maybe needed for some. The city I grew up in had a lot of home invasions going on one summer with a few armed thugs kicking in apartment or house doors looking for whatever they can sell.
The neighborhood I grew up in had 3 home invasions in a two week span. The chances of armed aggression is higher for some people that just happen to live in a different environment.

This is just food for thought.

That's all very true. Those people probably wouldn't be participating in a thread about the best style of home to defend though would they? Without specifically stating your circumstances it would be nearly impossible to give any useful advice on how to defend your home. If the subject is general advice on defending your home on a budget when you live in a bad neighborhood I probably would have responded differently. :)

That's all very true. Those people probably wouldn't be participating in a thread about the best style of home to defend though would they? Without specifically stating your circumstances it would be nearly impossible to give any useful advice on how to defend your home. If the subject is general advice on defending your home on a budget when you live in a bad neighborhood I probably would have responded differently. :)
No big deal I wasn't trying to debate anything. I think the thread is too get a feel for what everyone's idea isof home defense. My personal circumstances are very comfortable and I have not lived in that environment for almost 20 years now but I do know what it's like to. I appreciate the input! 😁

Do the best you can with what you got. The fact is You’re probably not going to be defending your home against a gang of well trained assailants, so forget about all the James Bond BS. Solid wood doors with security locks, Medeco locks installed correctly, steel plates and 4" screws on all the strikers, alarms, dog or two, strategically located and well hidden weapons. Train your family, have a plan. You know, be prepared.
I have a security system and 2 dogs. They are both German Shepard, Golden, and Sharpe mix...supposedly. They will know immediately if someone is trying to break in, and will alert me and my wife. If the intruder does manage to get in my house, my two 70-80 lb dogs will try and play with them...as seen below, they aren’t very intimidating, as they wouldn’t hurt a fly
lol
l
3A3A9916-DCE3-49E7-97E0-DCA11CCCAE45.jpeg
0F8FCBA1-2A3B-46D2-B453-ABBA6C7EE7DA.jpeg

I have a security system and 2 dogs. They are both German Shepard, Golden, and Sharpe mix...supposedly. They will know immediately if someone is trying to break in, and will alert me and my wife. If the intruder does manage to get in my house, my two 70-80 lb dogs will try and play with them...as seen below, they aren’t very intimidating, as they wouldn’t hurt a fly
lol
lView attachment 2110View attachment 2111

The best thing a dog can do as a deterrent is bark. I wouldn't want a dog in my house that would attack humans under any circumstance. They will definitely let you know something is going on though. Those are good looking pups. :)

The best thing a dog can do as a deterrent is bark. I wouldn't want a dog in my house that would attack humans under any circumstance. They will definitely let you know something is going on though. Those are good looking pups. :)
I 100% agree. Their barks sound like a 150 lb dog. And, if the dogs don’t attack, the chances the intruder would harm them decreases, potentially. And thank you!

Last edited:
Back