testtest

Teaching your kids to shoot.

For those that have kids old enough to shoot. Here is a good article on teaching them to do so with confidence and safety.

I teach my kids firearm safety and have brought them to the range on multiple occasions. Because of their age I only let them use a long gun so I can take control if needed easier and safer.

That is good. I started mine off with a Red Ryder lever action bb gun. Then moved to a bb pistol. Then to a Walther P22. And the Smith & Wesson AR22. Then my XDm 3.8 9mm. It's good that you are starting them off young @ 10mmLife 👍
My kids shoot pellet guns a lot in the backyard during the summer also. I always remind them about safe trigger control to not have your finger on the trigger until you are pointed down at the target and ready to shoot.
I haven't moved into real hand guns yet with my kids only bb guns but this summer I will break my oldest into .22lr pistol.

I have them practice with a .22lr Mossberg plinkster, Rossi matched pair single shot. 22lr/410, & also my Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm with Vortex Spar 2.

My kids are always asking me to bring them to the range. I can't say I get to shoot much if at all when I bring them as I make sure they get as much time as possible. I am not one of those who bring others to the range and fans out and takes as many stations as possible (love those types) They are older now but It's still always one on one.

Last edited:
I started mine off with BB guns and .22 rifles. Shotguns came later. The young girl in the article should have been shooting a .22 or similar. First, a kid needs to see that shooting is fun.
Started mine off with .22 and worked our way up. Shotguns (and I guess most long guns) can be a bit counterproductive for them becasue of weight and recoil. Agreed that it needs to be fun for them or they will lose interest.

I have my kids double up on the ear protection whenever I take them using foamie's and muffs. I know first hand how a shotgun can be intimidating to the young ones from the bang to the recoil it can be scary for them even when using a .410 bore shotgun.

Its all about safety and respect of the firearm as well having a good time responsibly.
I have always let my kids handle larger calibers if they felt they wanted to. As long as they were well acquainted, safe and proficient with one caliber, i moved them up the chain regardless of age.

here is my 13yr old with a .50 cal .... he thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread. He routinely shoots a .357 revolver as well. He looks forward to getting a caliber down consistently and moving on to the next style(s) of caliber.
He actually prefers my Weatherby .270 mag over his .270 Win.. go figure
41C078F3-0F08-4750-9DDC-41A75D539E82.jpeg

Last edited:
Every child is different - and that extends to what they can take on in terms of gun-handling and shooting, too.

Don't think of any number as being that magical age. Instead, judge each child (even siblings) based on his or her own abilities and traits. :)

Work with their inborn curiosity, while working at the same time to demystify: to "take away the power of the forbidden," if you will.

What I mean by the latter is not to just let him have free access to the guns - rather, to make it so that there's not an "OMG you CAN'T TOUCH THAT!" kind of forbidden-fruit glorification of "the gun" that's so common in society these days.

We're inherently curious as humans, and children even more so. If a particular child is cautious around guns and understands their danger (in an age-appropriate manner), it can potentially mean that he/she is already processing at a high level - take advantage of that and lay out a good, safe, *_fun_* path for this child, and let their curiosity and abilities be your mile-markers.

My daughter got bitten by the bug rather early, so I simply let her know that any time she wanted to see my guns (and knives), that I would make it a priority to do so, in a *_right then and there_* kind of way (not "Sure, honey, we'll do that later" and it never materialized kind of way). This not only meant to her that she was never "denied access" (although, in reality, she of course was ;) see what I did, there?), but that she would get my absolute undivided attention for that time, too.

With knives, I started her on my training knives. With guns, I started her on my airsoft replicas. We moved on to live baldes and actual firearms (dry) only when she expressed that she was ready. Similarly, we waited for her to be ready for live-fire before doing so with the airsoft, and yet again with firearms.

I can no longer remember when she started: I can only see how tiny her hands were - I remember laughing at how small they were, wrapped around a tiny Microtech Mini-UDT.

She was a little bit older - 5 and 1/2 - when she drilled a 6mm hole into an empty RedBull can at 10 yards, with me supporting my Tanio Koba 10/22 GBB replica on my shoulder and her taking the trigger and working the sight.

Anna Little.JPG

She let me know when she turned 8 that she thought she'd finally be ready to "shoot for real" by the time school let out that summer, so I made it my project to update eye/earpro and buy .22LR handguns and rifles for both of us for that season....and we've been shooting together ever since. While my M4V5LW is still a bit nose-heavy for her (she's now almost 14 and a rower - even though she's strong, the weight distribution of the V5LW as I have it configured still makes it awkward for her to manipulate off-hand), she loves the BCM/UCWRG we put together ourselves (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-4#post-4362) .

This picture - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-4#post-4361 - was from August of 2017 - she was 11 and 1/2 at the time. That's the ubiquitous S&W M&P 15-22 in her hands. She's got on those sports "compression sleeves" as protection from spent brass (she's still not fond of anything hot, even now) - remember what I said about making sure that the kiddo is the one having fun? Yup, cater the sessions to their unique needs. ;)

Keep it fun, always, but ingrain safety *_now_*. Make recitation of The Four Rules something that you do together before each range day. Really hammer home muzzle awareness and trigger discipline, and give the young shooter the primacy of a medical action-plan and basic first-aid (my daughter and I high-five for a successful, "no-TQ needed day" after we pack up). Do all this NOW so that it's simply something that the budding shooter will *always* follow and becomes second-nature, as it will help them years from now, no matter if they simply come to enjoy being a recreational shooter or develop into a professional gunman/woman.

1582047819934.png

President Ronald Regan wrote/said that "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." We owe it to our children to pass on the American way of life - of freedom and liberty for all.

Oh, and as others have mentioned above:

(1) Be careful about lead. Take de-leading wipes/soap with you, and make sure that they do not snack without properly cleaning their hands.

(2) Do, however, bring high-energy snacks and keep them well-hydrated. Shooting isn't just physically taxing, it's also tremendously mentally taxing. Giving them frequent breaks to properly refuel will help keep them fresh: this is important not just for learning, but also safety *_AND_* fun! :)

(3) Remember that not all gunfire "sounds" the same. My daughter doesn't like shooting the AR with her ProEars ProTac SC-Gold, but has no complaints when I switch her over to my Sordin Supreme Pro X, which has a lower NRR. Remember that different earpro can attenuate different noises differently. (And yes, by all means, double them up also with an in-ear plug, regardless of the over-the-ear protection you may choose to also equip them with.)

(4) Take the time to help them adjust their eyepro and earpro. With smaller heads, this can be difficult (some eyepro and earpro come in children's sizes) - so can hair fashion, etc. Take additional time throughout your range session to verify that their protective equipment are still properly staged.

Don't think of any number as being that magical age. Instead, judge each child (even siblings) based on his or her own abilities and traits. :)
Spot on, every kid is different. From my experience, under 5 is just a no. but by age 7-10 they should be able to understand the basic safety rules. I remember my brother and I took his daughter and a close family friend's son at age 5 to expose them to firearms. We made sure they were both watching, had eye and ear protection on. My brother took a SKS and shot an old toilet. It exploded big time. It was at that point they both understood what a gun can do. After that, they got to shoot a .22lr rifle and had a blast.

We made sure they were both watching, had eye and ear protection on. My brother took a SKS and shot an old toilet. It exploded big time. It was at that point they both understood what a gun can do.

I really love these visceral demonstrations - not just for kids, but also newer shooters.

To show them both what the gun can and cannot do, to try to dispel some of the myths that they've been inoculated with via less-than-realistic media.

I also started my step kids out by telling them anytime they wanted to see a firearm to let me know and we would go over it. I never told them I didn't have time when they asked. I taught them the safety rules and re-enforced them every time we got a firearm out to look at.

As they got older I started them out on a single shot .22rifle . By the time the youngest girl was 13 she wanted to shoot my 12 ga. model 31 Remington pump. It did not have a rubber pad on the stock. I got some 7 1/2 bird shot and she ate it up. Then she looked at me and asked if I had anything more powerful. So I went in and got some high base 6's and she again loved it. Next up , because she asked for it , was 00 buck. I told her to watch how it performed while I shot the first round and she said she was ready after watching me shoot. We ended up with her shooting 1 oz slugs . Now , I only let her shoot 2 each of the 00 buck and the slugs because I didn't want her to have a super sore shoulder . This girl might have weighed 100 lbs at the time she wanted to shoot but she loved every min of it.

The oldest girl never did get into it really and the step son turned out to be a completely different story altogether. :rolleyes:

anytime they wanted to see a firearm to let me know and we would go over it.
This, this right here is the best way to deal with firearms. If they feel they need to sneak behind you to get a look, they will do just that. I did the same thing with drinking. If you want a beer, just ask me, I won't say no. Both are very responsible adults now who know their limits.

Took my children hunting long before they were of age to shoot a gun for them to see when you pull the trigger, an animal (or someone) could die. They understood the power and ramifications of firearms when not used/handled properly. They also were excited to become part of the hunt with their grandparents and myself

Oh, and as others have mentioned above:

(1) Be careful about lead. Take de-leading wipes/soap with you, and make sure that they do not snack without properly cleaning their hands.

(2) Do, however, bring high-energy snacks and keep them well-hydrated. Shooting isn't just physically taxing, it's also tremendously mentally taxing. Giving them frequent breaks to properly refuel will help keep them fresh: this is important not just for learning, but also safety *_AND_* fun! :)

(3) Remember that not all gunfire "sounds" the same. My daughter doesn't like shooting the AR with her ProEars ProTac SC-Gold, but has no complaints when I switch her over to my Sordin Supreme Pro X, which has a lower NRR. Remember that different earpro can attenuate different noises differently. (And yes, by all means, double them up also with an in-ear plug, regardless of the over-the-ear protection you may choose to also equip them with.)

(4) Take the time to help them adjust their eyepro and earpro. With smaller heads, this can be difficult (some eyepro and earpro come in children's sizes) - so can hair fashion, etc. Take additional time throughout your range session to verify that their protective equipment are still properly staged.
Great advice!

Back