testtest

CLP, Oil, Or Grease? Which do you use and on what guns, and when/why?

ddeuce22

Professional
When I first started, CLP was all I used. It was just easier, and I only owned a couple of firearms. Once I acquired a few rifles I continued to use CLP for my handguns, but started using a bore cleaner/solvent for the rifles, coupled with a lubricating oil.

Since I got my M1A, I am a bit more concerned that Oil may not be enough. Mainly for the Op Rod / Op Rod channels/grooves and where the locking lug rests. I feel like the oil may not provide adequate protection so I have been considering getting a grease for that. Also considered using the grease for the 1911 as well.

Interested in some feedback from you guys on what you prefer and on what firearms (if different from others), or if you use the same across the board. Just curious.

(I use Lucas Oil CLP for my handguns, and I was gifted a large amount of Hoppe's bore cleaner/lubricating oil, so using that for the rifles until it runs out. Considering Lucas Oil Gun Grease for the M1A)

Last edited:
I use just Lucas Oil CLP on all my handguns, not much for grease on my 1911’s, to me it just attract dirt, but I know people use it, but so far the CLP has been working fine. When I had an AR, I used Breakfree faithfully on it, no issues there either.
I love the Lucas Oil Extreme Duty line of products, and am considering their gun grease for the M1A. The CLP has worked fantastic for all of my handguns thus far. Smells good to boot.

Last edited:
I have used Rem-Oil until I started with Lucas Oil Products.
I keep maintenance simple, I use Lucas Oil Products on the parts you don't see and Mothers Mag Polish on the parts you do see.
Bought these new in the 70's still looks new.
thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

I have used Rem-Oil until I started with Lucas Oil Products.
I keep maintenance simple, I use Lucas Oil Products on the parts you don't see and Mothers Mag Polish on the parts you do see.
Bought these new in the 70's still looks new.
View attachment 25612

View attachment 25613
Love the S&W..
My S&W has been oiled only. A ‘71 model 19

I use grease and oil on other firearms such as rifles. Depends on the firearm and the use.

I swap between multiple lubricants.FD968C5B-F182-493D-922A-AE664A5D75D3.jpeg

I like Ballistol for cleaning and light lubrication. I use grease on my Sig P226 because that’s how Sig does it and I also use grease on my stainless Range Officer to prevent galling. I use Lucas Oil or Hoppes gun oil for general lubing when I’m at the range.

I don’t clean or lube my ARs. (Not really, but kinda)

I like Ballistol for cleaning and light lubrication. I use grease on my Sig P226 because that’s how Sig does it and I also use grease on my stainless Range Officer to prevent galling. I use Lucas Oil or Hoppes gun oil for general lubing when I’m at the range.

I clean and lube all AR’s…
Hogs charge back. Failures leave to oh 💩💩

I LOVE Ballistol ! as a general cleaner & light lubricant. Their individual wipes are the best thing in the field or at the range. You can even wad one up and swab the barrel.

I’ve used Lucas CLP, grease and oil. No issues.

However, I like Tetra grease rather better, as it isn’t as “sticky-thick” for lack of a better description.
Tetra CLP seems to clean in the bore & barrel better, too. Far’s that goes, their lubricant (not quite an ‘oil’ per se) is excellent and I’ve noticed less fouling/residue at clean up time after firing, with Tetra.

When I use grease, its on the 1911 rails. If I use the Tetra grease, I can use just a smidge inside the barrel bushing instead of oil and it stays in place. Never had a problem with Tetra attracting or trapping debris, dust, etc.

Just my limited experience :)

Last edited:

With todays steels, galling isn’t an issue anymore, those days are gone. Galling was a big issue when manufacturers started using stainless in there 1911’s back in the 1980’s, it was due to the heat treatment that was used and the alloys they were using at that time. So you got no worries there anymore, trust me on this for I got schooled on this by my gunsmith friend who worked for JD Jones at SSK Industries.

With todays steels, galling isn’t an issue anymore, those days are gone. Galling was a big issue when manufacturers started using stainless in there 1911’s back in the 1980’s, it was due to the heat treatment that was used and the alloys they were using at that time. So you got no worries there anymore, trust me on this for I got schooled on this by my gunsmith friend who worked for JD Jones at SSK Industries.
Galling: is that like one metal piece wearing on another, or maybe adhering to it ?

I use to use hoppes but I found this stuff on line that’s safe on polymer guns liberty lubricants now I use it on all my guns. I start with bio solvent than HLP synthetic firearm oil I like this stuff a lot doesn’t attract dirt and seems to last make sure if you get some don’t buy the one on eBay that’s a fake one you need to get on their website

I’m not one of those I clean my gun if I put 5 rounds through it guys and I’m aware that galling is very rare these days, but it makes me feel better. And with the temps here in TX it’s not like you have to worry about it gunking up.

i'm keeping it simple.

Weapon Shield or Hoppes 9 oil, or Gibbs, depending on which gun. then food grade mineral oil (not all the time) to wipe down the exterior.

the only time i "might" use grease, is for when i sell a gun. which isn't too often, and only for the 9mm's, NEVER a 1911

Good video, as I have watched multiple videos on cleaning the M1A one thing stands out for me is all have said to remove the small roller from the bolt to grease the roller seat but mine will not come off? Other then that besides using a bit more oil during cleaning I’m on par with every video.

As far as the thread on what I use is multiple different oils depending on the gun and do use mobile 1 synthetic grease on my M1A I was using I lite film of grease on the slides of my polymer guns but have gone back to just oil. I will put a thin coat of grease on the slide rails of my 1911.

My preferred oil is Hoppe’s Black.

Last edited:
Breakfree CLP most common, Hoppe's bore solvent on difficult carbons, Lubriplate 130 on M1A parts as prescribed in the OM, thanks Talyn. There's more gun lube available than you can shake a stick at...

Regarding stainless galling, take a look at shiny stainless steel under a microscope (say machined threads on a bolt or nut). The surface looks like the Himalayas...galling I see in my work occurs when you thread SS on SS (nut and bolt) and those jagged surfaces snag together under pressure. The ridges and valleys of those rough machined surfaces catch on one-another. Virtually impossible to remove a galled nut from a bolt. Gotta use nickel-impregnated dopes to keep them from "fusing" together (they make impreganted tapes too). PITA for sure for plumbers and water system professionals.

I’m not one of those I clean my gun if I put 5 rounds through it guys and I’m aware that galling is very rare these days, but it makes me feel better. And with the temps here in TX it’s not like you have to worry about it gunking up.
I used to use this oil I got from Dillon Precision, it was called just Snake Oil, came in a little white bottle, I used this on that AMT 1911 and it really helped to reduce the galling I was having with it. It was a pure synthetic oil made for use in high speed surgical drills, I don’t think they have it anymore. No problem if it makes you feel better sir, to be honest on my stainless Sig 1911, I use the Lucas CLP and then on all the contact areas, I put some of the Lucas Oil Extreme Duty oil there also, wasn’t trying to say anything against you, if I did I apologize.

Back