testtest

Have any of you run into this situation?

Like @Pitdogg2, I use Lucas oil products, mainly because I grew up using it and it is usually available locally in the south where I live. My dad uses it on close to 100 guns that sit for long periods of time. I pulled out an Enfield 303 a couple of months ago, gave it a thorough cleaning/breakdown and oiling and it still shoots very accurately for a WWII weapon with no use for a solid 4 years.

Why is it a POS ?
Bob, I purchased the 1987 Taurus .38-special in 1993 (new) as my first pistol. The sights are almost invisible in a dark indoor range. I very much dislike shooting it, but it is the first handgun I ever purchased and will not sell it....but it is hard to shoot beyond 10 yards. Heavy trigger, bad sights...but it operates as designed. I keep it close by at night...next to my 1911 Ronin 10mm...never know when a semi-auto might fail. A heavy trigger is not a concern to one shooting in defense. I think I paid $200 for it new back in the day. BUT...it sat for 10-15 years with Rem-Oil on it and worked just fine....without sitting in a climate/humidity-controlled environment (WI). Hell....might have been 20 years now I think about it. Maybe it's not a POS?

Bob, I purchased the 1987 Taurus .38-special in 1993 (new) as my first pistol. The sights are almost invisible in a dark indoor range. I very much dislike shooting it, but it is the first handgun I ever purchased and will not sell it....but it is hard to shoot beyond 10 yards. Heavy trigger, bad sights...but it operates as designed. I keep it close by at night...next to my 1911 Ronin 10mm...never know when a semi-auto might fail. A heavy trigger is not a concern to one shooting in defense. I think I paid $200 for it new back in the day. BUT...it sat for 10-15 years with Rem-Oil on it and worked just fine....without sitting in a climate/humidity-controlled environment (WI). Hell....might have been 20 years now I think about it. Maybe it's not a POS?

At one point I had two .44 Mags. A Super Blackhawk and a Taurus model 44. The Blackhawk had ( I believe) a 10" barrel and the Taurus has an 8 3/8" barrel. I sold the Blackhawk. I still have the Taurus. I can shoot it one handed all day long and I can hit an 8" plate every time at 100 yards with it. I bought it when I turned 21 ( so 32 years ago) and it has been flawless. And even though it was my main hunting partner for a couple decades it still looks mint.

I have never been a big picture guy, but here I am with a little Spikey I killed about 90 yards away with it, 20 some years ago.

fCc8gPc.jpg

Also a thought, some gun oils/lubes sometimes don’t play well with each other, meaning some stuff you just can’t mix or weird things may occur, I only use bore cleaners Hoppes/Shooter Choice for bore cleaning only, never to clean the gun, that’s where the CLP comes in or a good gun oil, then I wipe the gun down, I know lots of guys use bore cleaners to clean there guns, but its only for the bore

Also a thought, some gun oils/lubes sometimes don’t play well with each other, meaning some stuff you just can’t mix or weird things may occur, I only use bore cleaners Hoppes/Shooter Choice for bore cleaning only, never to clean the gun, that’s where the CLP comes in or a good gun oil, then I wipe the gun down, I know lots of guys use bore cleaners to clean there guns, but its only for the bore
Same. I never use bore solvent for anything other than bore/barrel.

I too store some guns that don't get used for a while. I have never had a problem with oil. I have used Brownells oil for years and have had no problems. Sometimes basic oil is the best solution.

i feel pretty much the same way about my Glock G-17 (4th gen) and my CZ 75B. both were bought nearly the same time, the G-17 1st. (a delay caused the CZ to be a couple of days later). i can sell off other guns with out any problems, and i have.....but not those 2.

the G-17 my first polymer striker, the CZ my first all metal hammer.

I too store some guns that don't get used for a while. I have never had a problem with oil. I have used Brownells oil for years and have had no problems. Sometimes basic oil is the best solution.
and that's the thing with storing my guns, for a short time (1 to 2, maybe 3 months) before using them. they are not what i'd consider "long term storage".

when i compare some guns that i lubed with Hoppes, to the ones with Weapon Shield, it seems to look like the Weapon Shield evaporated or migrated to a lower point, but then, as i mentioned, ALL my guns are stored in an "up right" position never flat.

FYI also, you have to be very very careful using Gun Scrubber and similar products on polymer guns, and if you try to use brake cleaner instead, it will eat most polymer guns, never use brake cleaner on guns, it’s not made for them, before I retired from work and was still at my sheriff dept, I saw many guns destroyed by using gun scrubber or brake cleaner on them, S&W’ s, few Glocks and a H&K USP where the frame melted…..just got to be careful.

and that's the thing with storing my guns, for a short time (1 to 2, maybe 3 months) before using them. they are not what i'd consider "long term storage".

when i compare some guns that i lubed with Hoppes, to the ones with Weapon Shield, it seems to look like the Weapon Shield evaporated or migrated to a lower point, but then, as i mentioned, ALL my guns are stored in an "up right" position never flat.
Wow, never used WS much, but that’s interesting that it did that, so far since using Lucas Oil Extreme CLP for over a year, I never had this issue.

Wow, never used WS much, but that’s interesting that it did that, so far since using Lucas Oil Extreme CLP for over a year, I never had this issue.
well i took my Ruger GP 100 2.5 barrel again today, (this makes it 2 days in a row), but today, i could only shoot 38 specials at the club...they do not allow magnums.

i took 100 rnds of reloaded ammo, again.

when i got the gun home, i cleaned it, with Hoppes, the squirted some Kroil into the wheel bearing area, and blew it out with my air compressor.

then i used Gibbs oil, since that is what came with my Korth.

gibbs

some of thier mumbo-jumbo

The Ultimate cleaning agent, GIBBS™ is a supreme penetrating, lubricating, and universal surface conditioning fluid that not only prevents rust, but actually reverses oxidation. GIBBS™ leaves a thin viscosity lubricant that eliminates jelling and residue buildup, resulting in free-moving mechanical parts. GIBBS™ is the ultimate patented supreme penetrating, lubricating, rust remover & universal surface conditioning fluid.

there has to be a reason, that NHC, includes that with the Korth's, maybe they got it for free to pass out with thier guns, or it really does work.

At one point I had two .44 Mags. A Super Blackhawk and a Taurus model 44. The Blackhawk had ( I believe) a 10" barrel and the Taurus has an 8 3/8" barrel. I sold the Blackhawk. I still have the Taurus. I can shoot it one handed all day long and I can hit an 8" plate every time at 100 yards with it. I bought it when I turned 21 ( so 32 years ago) and it has been flawless. And even though it was my main hunting partner for a couple decades it still looks mint.

I have never been a big picture guy, but here I am with a little Spikey I killed about 90 yards away with it, 20 some years ago.

fCc8gPc.jpg
oh shoot, i know you..!!!!!

i've seen all your movies.....

especially, The Italian Job, with my favorite, actress, Charlize Theron..!!!!

well i took my Ruger GP 100 2.5 barrel again today, (this makes it 2 days in a row), but today, i could only shoot 38 specials at the club...they do not allow magnums.

i took 100 rnds of reloaded ammo, again.

when i got the gun home, i cleaned it, with Hoppes, the squirted some Kroil into the wheel bearing area, and blew it out with my air compressor.

then i used Gibbs oil, since that is what came with my Korth.

gibbs

some of thier mumbo-jumbo

there has to be a reason, that NHC, includes that with the Korth's, maybe they got it for free to pass out with thier guns, or it really does work.
Never heard of that oil, but I am going to look into it, but with gun manufacturers they give you samples from whomever they get a good deal from at the time. As long as it worked for you, that’s all that matters.

Never heard of that oil, but I am going to look into it, but with gun manufacturers they give you samples from whomever they get a good deal from at the time. As long as it worked for you, that’s all that matters.
yeah, a couple of times, i got gun oil, in a small foil pack (like a ketchup packet?) from Colt. right now, unless i can find one, i think it was from Lucas.

i never heard of Gibbs oil either. but when i bought the Korth, i also bought another small spray bottle of it, and transferred that over to a needle point oiler bottle.

When I was a youngster I used the Hoppes gun cleaning kit with bore solvent and gun oil. I used Break-Free CLP on Uncle Sam's guns and liked the simplicity of one product for all uses. I have tried various brands for my firearms since, including Break-Free CLP-4 [not the same as I remember], Otis Extreme Duty CLP [smelled awful], and SLIP 2000 CLP [bottle leaked constantly]. I recently switched to Lucas Extreme Duty CLP and am very happy with the results. The Lucas product is slightly thicker than the other products and works very well removing carbon buildup.

Back