testtest

Decisions....

i like to "mix up" the guns and finishes that they have. i have maybe 5 "black/blued" 1911's, and more two tone or stainless steel.

all one finish to me, for the amount of 1911's that i have?

is boring as all hell.
I can definitely appreciate that. For me however cosmetics is a minor concern. It's all about performance and reliably for me. I guess if you can have beauty, performance, and reliability all at the same time? Well then "your in'em"! As the ol man use to say!

Last edited:
Not me. I like 'em black. I have 2 SS revolvers, everything else is black.
When it comes to peastolas. I prefer Stainless. Seems more "hardy" if you will and I live on the coast where there is much more salt air than there is further inland. That being said. Only one of my six pistols are stainless. Go figure! 😂

Looking to get a SA 1911. I have it narrowed down to Loaded Ronin or Garrison. I am looking to stay with a black frame, (unless I go Ronin) I know I want to already have the extended beavertail and nicer trigger then say the milspec(if one is better than the other?). Is parkerized any better then blued? Any and all recommendations appreciated as i am new to the 1911 game. would be for a range/maybe carry(not alot though) gun. Thanks
As u probably noticed, these threads can come alive and go all sorts of places:). As a Ronin and Garrison owner (both in .45, bought NIB), I thought I’d comment on your original base questions.

1) Parkerizing is not ‘better’ than blued. It’s probably a faster process for mass production (think: military mobilization for war) and has that World War tradition. But I don’t think its any worse than blued, either, in a practical sense. Good all around protection, and it works. After all, you ain’t headed for Guadalcanal anytime soon. Please note that neither the Ronin nor Garrison are offered in Parkerized anyway.

2) Ronin was advertised as having a ‘speed trigger’, whatever that is. I do indeed find that my Ronins trigger is crisper than my Garrison. Also, the slide to frame fit seems noticeably smoother. Please note however that my Garrison runs fine. No complaints from me. But I do see/feel a difference.

3) it may be my older eyes combined with the FO front sight, but i shoot better with my Ronin. Dark slide could also be a factor (my Garrison is stainless). I also got my Ronin a year+ sooner than Garrisons came out - so thats a bit more practice, but on the other hand range time was limited due to ammo shortages. Bottom line: hard to sort out the impacts of this paragraph. YMMV.

My own determination: the Ronin is superior. Garrison is fine, but closer to mil-spec and less refined.
Love ‘em both, though:)

Good luck with your choice !

TW

S
As u probably noticed, these threads can come alive and go all sorts of places:). As a Ronin and Garrison owner (both in .45, bought NIB), I thought I’d comment on your original base questions.

1) Parkerizing is not ‘better’ than blued. It’s probably a faster process for mass production (think: military mobilization for war) and has that World War tradition. But I don’t think its any worse than blued, either, in a practical sense. Good all around protection, and it works. After all, you ain’t headed for Guadalcanal anytime soon. Please note that neither the Ronin nor Garrison are offered in Parkerized anyway.

2) Ronin was advertised as having a ‘speed trigger’, whatever that is. I do indeed find that my Ronins trigger is crisper than my Garrison. Also, the slide to frame fit seems noticeably smoother. Please note however that my Garrison runs fine. No complaints from me. But I do see/feel a difference.

3) it may be my older eyes combined with the FO front sight, but i shoot better with my Ronin. Dark slide could also be a factor (my Garrison is stainless). I also got my Ronin a year+ sooner than Garrisons came out - so thats a bit more practice, but on the other hand range time was limited due to ammo shortages. Bottom line: hard to sort out the impacts of this paragraph. YMMV.

My own determination: the Ronin is superior. Garrison is fine, but closer to mil-spec and less refined.

TW
Solid Info. I'm slowly learning from this thread myself! Free knowledge is a beautiful thing!

I can definitely appreciate that. For me however cosmetics is a minor concern. It's all about performance and reliably for me. I guess if you can have beauty, performance, and reliability all at the same time? Well then "your in'em"! As the ol man use to say!
for me, when it comes to "performance", ALL my guns perform as well as can be, for factory assembly line products.

i find it "boring" to have all my guns, in one color. to appreciate the different styles, finishes from the factory is more appealing to me, than plain ole boring "black" or blued. yes, when one has a special finish, like 2 tone, or Nickle plating or stainless steel, one (seems to me) MUST wipe the finger prints off them much more, then an ole boring "black" or blued finish.

the ONE gun i'd like to have next, is a Standard Mfg, 1911, in.......well......."Black" as it is VERY high polished

like Henry Ford was once quoted as saying, "you can have any color you want, as long as it is black", doesn't fit my taste when there is a variety of colors/finishes out there.

it's never the color or finish of the gun that makes it perform. it is the manufacturer, the over all quality known of that manufacturer, and the person pulling that trigger.

for me, when it comes to "performance", ALL my guns perform as well as can be, for factory assembly line products.

i find it "boring" to have all my guns, in one color. to appreciate the different styles, finishes from the factory is more appealing to me, than plain ole boring "black" or blued. yes, when one has a special finish, like 2 tone, or Nickle plating or stainless steel, one (seems to me) MUST wipe the finger prints off them much more, then an ole boring "black" or blued finish.

the ONE gun i'd like to have next, is a Standard Mfg, 1911, in.......well......."Black" as it is VERY high polished

like Henry Ford was once quoted as saying, "you can have any color you want, as long as it is black", doesn't fit my taste when there is a variety of colors/finishes out there.

it's never the color or finish of the gun that makes it perform. it is the manufacturer, the over all quality known of that manufacturer, and the person pulling that trigger.
I understand most definitely! I've known some people that have shown me their nice beautiful gun wether it a rifle or pistol and some of them pretty high end equipment! I ask how it shoots? I've often but not always hear back. "I don't know. I haven't shot it yet. I don't know much about guns. I just liked the way it looked" That's what I was getting at. I base my firearm purchasing on the weapons performance reputation, Maker reputation, what I'll use it for, type of cartrige, so on and so on. The looks or beauty of the firearm is the last thing I consider. However. I don't own any junk, ugly, or odd looking firearms either! Don't get me wrong Old Wise One! I'm not trying to make an argument on firearm cosmetics! 😂I do agree with you. In my opinion. A gun case with several different makes, models, platforms, and finishes is much better eye candy than a case full of blued 10/22's on black stocks next to a shelf full of all glocks!

I understand most definitely! I've known some people that have shown me their nice beautiful gun wether it a rifle or pistol and some of them pretty high end equipment! I ask how it shoots? I've often but not always hear back. "I don't know. I haven't shot it yet. I don't know much about guns. I just liked the way it looked" That's what I was getting at. I base my firearm purchasing on the weapons performance reputation, Maker reputation, what I'll use it for, type of cartrige, so on and so on. The looks or beauty of the firearm is the last thing I consider. However. I don't own any junk, ugly, or odd looking firearms either! Don't get me wrong Old Wise One! I'm not trying to make an argument on firearm cosmetics! 😂I do agree with you. In my opinion. A gun case with several different makes, models, platforms, and finishes is much better eye candy than a case full of blued 10/22's on black stocks next to a shelf full of all glocks!
i understood what you meant.

i personally am not a "gun collector" per se, but i do have a "collection" of now about 25 hand guns, that do get to the range in a rotational basis, so that no one gun is never left behind. with the retail pricings starting at about $400, up to that $5,000 revolver that i have.

nothing in my "mini collection" is a safe queen. none of them are "that special" to never be used, in my opinion.

if i were to be (say) in the true traditional sense of gun collecting, then i'd have nice floor to ceiling hand made cabinetry with stained glass. then i'd not shoot those particular guns, or rifles. which would then be "eye candy".

but i'd also be very afraid to have anyone over to see them all, as i'd suspect everyone to be a potential thief, and set me up for the crime of the century.....lol

i understood what you meant.

i personally am not a "gun collector" per se, but i do have a "collection" of now about 25 hand guns, that do get to the range in a rotational basis, so that no one gun is never left behind. with the retail pricings starting at about $400, up to that $5,000 revolver that i have.

nothing in my "mini collection" is a safe queen. none of them are "that special" to never be used, in my opinion.

if i were to be (say) in the true traditional sense of gun collecting, then i'd have nice floor to ceiling hand made cabinetry with stained glass. then i'd not shoot those particular guns, or rifles. which would then be "eye candy".

but i'd also be very afraid to have anyone over to see them all, as i'd suspect everyone to be a potential thief, and set me up for the crime of the century.....lol
😂 Awesome! 25 hand guns! Wow! Pistol shooting must be you flavor of choice in the shooting sports world! As mine is rifle shooting. Hearing all you guys talk pistols is impressive. 95% of the time I don't even know what you guys are talking about. I mean I know what a guide rod, grip, cylinder, or trigger is! Heck who doesn't? 😂 But I'm really curious so I gotta ask. What make and model of revolver do you have that cost 5000k?!?!? None of my nicest or best hunting rifles or PRC rifles cost that and I have some dang nice reputaball rifles!

TW
Old_Me reminded me of one other practical matter: the stainless 1911s are a bit easier to clean, for me….you can really see where the carbon & other fouling is.

😂 Awesome! 25 hand guns! Wow! Pistol shooting must be you flavor of choice in the shooting sports world! As mine is rifle shooting. Hearing all you guys talk pistols is impressive. 95% of the time I don't even know what you guys are talking about. I mean I know what a guide rod, grip, cylinder, or trigger is! Heck who doesn't? 😂 But I'm really curious so I gotta ask. What make and model of revolver do you have that cost 5000k?!?!? None of my nicest or best hunting rifles or PRC rifles cost that and I have some dang nice reputaball rifles!
Korth Mongoose, silver DLC finish, 6" barrel, 38/357 magnum...made in Germany, imported here by Nighthawk Customs.
roller bearings in some of the action, making it like ice on ice, hand fitted. Turkish walnut stocks, Sheriff Jim Wilson Edition. ( a writer now for a gun magazine)

1650973448881.png

1650973469451.png

Looks very nice indeed and probably shoots even better! Roller berings and hand fitted! I bet there isn't enough O's in smooth when you cycle the action on that pistol. I can only imagine! The barrel looks like the same style as a S&W 629 Classic rather than a regular 629 or 29 for that matter or any other smith barrels. I liked those grips! My Sako's originally came mounted on European Walnut stocks, but I swapped them out for as couple custom fiberglass Mc Millan's. I beat the pi** out of my hunting rifles in the brush, throw it in the back seat of truck, lay it on the deck of my hunting skiff, or any where else for that matter. Just didn't want to tear up those Euro Walnut stocks. Their beautiful! Hand checkering and all that stuff. Thanks for sharing pictures of your smoke wagon! Good looking wheel gun indeed!

Korth Mongoose, silver DLC finish, 6" barrel, 38/357 magnum...made in Germany, imported here by Nighthawk Customs.
roller bearings in some of the action, making it like ice on ice, hand fitted. Turkish walnut stocks, Sheriff Jim Wilson Edition. ( a writer now for a gun magazine)

View attachment 26813

View attachment 26814

View attachment 26813

View attachment 26814
IMG_20220426_042443043.jpg
Just wanted to share a pic of my 629 Classic with you because you're grips reminded me of mine. A friend I grew up with that is now an Alaskan big game hunting guide custom hand made these beautiful grips out of Sitka Spruce Burrell. He's done a lot of wood inlay's on rifle stocks but this was his first and only set of pistol grips he's made. Said he'd never make another set for any other pistol. 20 hours of fitting and polishing. Truly a one of a kind set of grips! They even feel and fit my hand better than the factory rubber Houge grip!

For what it is worth, for my first ever pistol purchase, I bought the SA Garrison, blued. The reason I bought it was that it was a little bit of an upgrade from the 1911 45 I used in the service so I was somewhat familiar with them. We did not have much call to use them in the submarine service, mostly topside watch while in port or tied up along the sub tender. I have enjoyed the Garrison and have had no trouble field striping it to clean. Whatever you get, you will enjoy it.

Seawolf! Right on! right on! Thankyou for your service! Seawolf was the name of my barracks ship in Great Lakes Illinois Naval boot camp!

Seriously, you can’t go wrong with any 1911, blue, stainless, parkerized, duel tone, it’s just a matter of preference, I myself, like a blue finish, as you can tell by my 2 Colts, I also have a stainless Sig and a duel tone Kimber, one thing with a 1911, there very addictive, once you get one, they seem to multiply, whichever one you pick, I am sure you will enjoy it

Did I mention the SA 1911 Operator as a great choice yet?😉 Annihilator! Where's one of you pictures of the Terminator firing his plazma weapons while saying "OPERATOR"!😂

Last edited:
Back