testtest

The 20 Gauge for Defense

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Is there something to the 20 gauge shotgun for defense?

The 20 Gauge for Defense

1656212969176.png

My home defense shotgun is a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express Home Defense. I've had it for years, and originally purchased it because my wife and sons could all handle the 20 gauge better than a 12 gauge. This model, which was discontinued way too early, has an 18.5" barrel and and extended 6+1 magazine tube. I put a synthetic youth stock on it, which took 2 inches off the overall length and length of pull. The size makes it easy to maneuver through the home, and 7 rounds of #2 Buck has more than enough power to stop any 2-legged threat.

I have never doubted the 870's capabilities and literally trust my family's safety to it. I also feel confident that anyone who thinks #2 Buckshot from a 20 gauge is not powerful enough to stop a threat has never been shot with it.

I took my first firearm deer with a 410 I would not feel underarmed in the close confines of a home defense situation with one. I certainly would not sneer at the 20 Guage.

These guys just seem to have ran out of things to write about.

First of all, no one ( no one who is serious or isn't a moron) is sneering or claiming there's anything wrong with a 20 gauge ( or as Hans pointed out a .410 either). Both of them have more payload than the 9mm pistol in your nightstand.

Second of all, 5lbs of felt recoil? That makes pretty much zero difference to anyone who regularly shoots or trains with a shotgun. I guarantee you I can accurately destroy a small target as fast with a 12 gauge as 99% of the people on this planet can with a 20 gauge. Know why? Because I put a couple thousand rounds a month through one ( several actually). Which should be the real point. Train hard with the guns you shoot. Period.

No there isn't anything wrong with a 20 gauge. If that's your jam, that's your jam.

If you are pointing out that 20 gauge is easier for people new to guns or new to shotguns and might make a better HD weapon for them, you should probably also point out that if you are new to guns or new to shotguns you shouldn't be using one as a HD weapon to begin with.

Why do all these gun writers constantly write articles geared towards people who don't know shite about guns ?

Guns in 12 ga. are way more plentiful and popular and ammo is easier to find anywhere. If recoil is an issue, the 12 is usually a heavier gun and you can always get reduced recoil buckshot. There is even a mini-shell in 12 ga. if you choose.
Shoot what you like, but survey says 12.

When it came time to by shotguns for my twins I read all the expert opinions I could find and called a number of experts and most all said was buy a 12 ga. and eventually they will man up to it. Great advice so I did what my father did for my older brother and I. I bought them 20 ga. Remington 870 youth in 20 ga. Learning to shoot without the extra recoil worked well. I read an article that compared the recoil between the two and I was looking for the link unsuccessfully but the author claimed the two were so close just use a 12ga. Another great expert opinion. I have Pachmayer Decellerator recoil pads on my Mossbergs that work great but have the newer Limbsaver on my Benelli. Recoil pads are often overlooked as a great accessory

When it came time to by shotguns for my twins I read all the expert opinions I could find and called a number of experts and most all said was buy a 12 ga. and eventually they will man up to it. Great advice so I did what my father did for my older brother and I. I bought them 20 ga. Remington 870 youth in 20 ga. Learning to shoot without the extra recoil worked well. I read an article that compared the recoil between the two and I was looking for the link unsuccessfully but the author claimed the two were so close just use a 12ga. Another great expert opinion. I have Pachmayer Decellerator recoil pads on my Mossbergs that work great but have the newer Limbsaver on my Benelli. Recoil pads are often overlooked as a great accessory

At about age 11 I graduated from the single barrel 20 ga. that was my first shotgun to a double barrel 12 gauge. I did not notice a difference in recoil. At 11 years old. My dad has always shot 20s. At least for sporting shotguns. He does have a 12 ga. BPS.

Other than shooting slugs out of a pump gun it's pretty much all the same to me. I don't notice much difference unless you're comparing #9 field loads to 00B or something. I never went in for any recoil devices. Nice rubber butt pad and shoulder the gun correctly and I'm good. That is until I zero'ed a red dot on a KSG25 using slugs. It took 11 shots to zero it. After about the 6th round I really didn't want to shoot it again. I would consider a Limbsaver or some such on that gun, but I just don't shoot slugs through it. That's what I have autos for.

Why do all these gun writers constantly write articles geared towards people who don't know shite about guns ?
Us crotchety old guys quit reading the gun rags years ago because experience taught us that most of what was printed in them was bovine excrement. Those gun writers often embroider and embellish the truth and the unschooled buy it hook, line, and sinker because they saw it in print.

Nothing wrong with a 20 gauge. Sure 12 is more popular as it’s standardized with LE and Military use but nothing wrong with the 20 if that’s what you have or want.

As for the naysayers do any of them use a 308 battle rifle over a 5.56mm?

My brother in law used to reload his own 20 gauge shells for grouse hunting. He has a plethora of 12s but chose a particular 20 for that purpose. To each his own. I think if its just recoil you can get light loads for a 12 that kick less than hot loads for a 20. To each his own. Doesn't matter to me, I respect them all.

My brother in law used to reload his own 20 gauge shells for grouse hunting. He has a plethora of 12s but chose a particular 20 for that purpose. To each his own. I think if its just recoil you can get light loads for a 12 that kick less than hot loads for a 20. To each his own. Doesn't matter to me, I respect them all.
I reload for both. Grouse and Quail I load #9.

In 2008 I had my left (shooting) shoulder replaced. After six months of physical therapy, I was able to resume shooting. I quickly ascertained the 12ga was now too much gun for me. Consequently, I bought my first 20ga and am now up to three in that .620" bore. As I am now 72 I have stuck with the 20ga and never looked back.

As a defensive gun, loaded with #2 and #3 Buckshot it is a formidable self-defense weapon that my petite wife can handle.

YMMV...

I have transitioned to 20ga for home defense. It started when I found a mint Winchester 1300 Defender in 20 gauge at a gun show. Handled it and liked it and thought it would be a better option for the misses than the 12ga we had on duty so I bought it. She hated shooting my 12ga 870 and refused to do it again. So after going to the range and getting use to it with less recoil than the 12 and seeing what a great defensive weapon it was it became hers. I also noticed how handy it was and lighter recoiling and what the 20ga buck loads did to the targets I was also warming up to it myself.

Then I saw a 870 18" defensive shotgun at a local shop I asked to handle it and was impressed with how much lighter and handier it was than my 12ga (same model) I bought it. Since then I have added a 590 Shockwave and most recently a 590 Persuader with 20" bbl, 8-shot, and ghost ring sights (all 20ga).

Yeah I'd say I've gone all in on he 20 gauge.

Last edited:
Back