testtest

Pit Bulls

Pit bull owners are under an obligation, not least of all to the breed, to keep their bully breed out of trouble. They are extremely formidable WHEN TRIGGERED. Understanding what situations you can't put your dog in is key. Do NOT take your pitbull to a dog park. Do NOT leave your pitbull unattended around unfamiliar people or children. Do NOT leave your pitbull unattended around other people's dogs.

My last pit was a rescue. I had him for about 8 years. I already had an aging golden retriever and my golden was the boss and regularly punked him out. My pitbull had no idea he was a vicious killer. I miss both those dogs terribly.

My wife witnessed a pit puppy (estimated 6 months old) get tossed out of a dirtbag's car in a Walmart parking lot several years ago. Wearing a collar, leash, they just tossed it and took off. She went over to the sweetest little (25lbs?) dog, wagging tail, lots of kisses. Of course we took her home and she initially got along great with our other 2 lab mixes (one lab/pit, one lab/australian shepherd). After a few months (18 mos. approximately) of peaceful and playful existence, the new pit rescue would on occasion viciously attack our lab/shep mix, always over a toy or food. I learned very quickly when a pit latches on with its teeth, there is nothing you can do to get them to release. After 4-5 fights, we ended up putting her down (the last fight my wife got her arm in the way, the pit latched on and caused major nerve damage in her forearm and hand, still suffering today). The pit was NOT going after my wife, my wife was protecting our other lab and got in the way.

I still am baffled. This pit went to doggie day-care and was the pride of the staff with how well she got along with every other dog, with a room full of toys (she was tested and trialed before allowed into general population). She just had a thing for our one lab, and it ended her life.

I have always had dogs, my wife is in the vet business, we treat them better than we treat each other most of the time. You just never know...

"When a pit latches on with it's teeth there is nothing you can do to get them to release"

This is not universally true. Max would release on command. A neighborhood stray tried to attack my wife and had latched on to her pant leg and was trying to drag her. Max hit him like a ton of bricks and had his throat in his jaws. I yelled drop it and Max let go. The other dog left post haste.

Nevertheless, if you are going to own a pitbull, it is preferable not to have other dogs, but if you do you have to make sure you can control your dog. Max was a Staffordshire and went about 90 lbs. I was the alpha and that's the way it was. Once my golden got up in him one time Max knew he wasn't even the beta.

"When a pit latches on with it's teeth there is nothing you can do to get them to release"

This is not universally true. Max would release on command. A neighborhood stray tried to attack my wife and had latched on to her pant leg and was trying to drag her. Max hit him like a ton of bricks and had his throat in his jaws. I yelled drop it and Max let go. The other dog left post haste.

Nevertheless, if you are going to own a pitbull, it is preferable not to have other dogs, but if you do you have to make sure you can control your dog. Max was a Staffordshire and went about 90 lbs. I was the alpha and that's the way it was. Once my golden got up in him one time Max knew he wasn't even the beta.
If you want to own two then a male and a female is really the only option. Two of the same sex can be problematic.
I bred pitdoggs for years my family has had some from as far back as the 30's.
I had raised two brothers with their mother until she died. These two brothers were always together every day all day. At about two years old they looked at each other that day and ran at each other from across our 200' yard. They hit each other at full speed and went at it hard. I kept a chain staked in to ground for just such an occasion. One person cannot separate two 70# dogs determined to kill each other. I drag the dogs over to the chain threw the chain around one of their neck and attached it to itself and pulled it tight with the loose dog. I then used my break stick to separate them from each other. From that day on neither of them could be loose with the other in the yard they had to be separated for life. They would even try to get at each other through chain link fence and would literally bite chunks and twist the fence.
It happens, if you're not game for this get a different breed of dog. Both of these dogs loved my children and would protect them with their lives. I trusted them completely they were critter homicidal 150% yet the biggest teddy bears with kids and people.

These dogs are NOT for everyone and if you're scared to be the alpha dog then find another breed, this one will eat you for breakfast.

Not universally true, but it was in this little dog's case. Mind you, she was maybe 35-40lbs at 2 years old...quite small, but once she was zoned on rage with her teeth clamped, I could not get her to release, even with prying her mouth open with a hammer handle. I won't go into what I did during these fights to get her to release, but I am/was not strong enough to do it. I heard later that if you shove a finger up the dogs butt, that can work...? As mentioned, we put her down (once she bit my wife, even if unintentional, the police got involved and there was no other option...)

I should mention that the clamping down only happened on our other dog. When she bit my wife, she let go immediately...the problem was only with dog-on-dog bites. She never attacked anyone on purpose...just the one dog...

The same argument is used by political groups for certain types of firearms, that they are too dangerous.

Certain animals and firearms are desirable to the wrong type of people but this doesn't make the animals nor the firearms bad.
This statement is false, and here’s why. Dogs are living breathing carnivorous predators with relativity simple brains. They do things by instinct and are unpredictable. Regardless of what politicians say firearms are not.

I was attacked once by a 140lb mastiff. Completely unprovoked, I was just minding my own business putting my cardboard in the recycling bin in the alley behind the post office in the town I live in. Out of nowhere this dog is charging down the alley at me full bore, not barking just coming for me. I had just enough time to raise my left forearm and brace myself. When he hit me and clamped down on my arm I brought my right closed fist down as hard as I could between his shoulder blades. This stunned him enough he decided to release. At this point I had my knife in my right hand and was facing him. As a utility worker I’ve dealt with enough dogs to now once you are facing them they are less likely to attack you. He charged me two more time but never made contact. I honestly thought I’d have to kill that dog that day. His owner showed up after a few minutes of us facing off and yelled at him and he backed down and went to him. Needless to say law enforcement was involved and the dog was destroyed.

I‘ve never seen a gun do that.

As it turned out the dog had a history of attacking other dogs and people and yes it’s owner was a p.o.s. My point is certain breeds of dogs are dangerous due to their strength, temperament, and the amount of damage they can do.

This statement is false, and here’s why. Dogs are living breathing carnivorous predators with relativity simple brains. They do things by instinct and are unpredictable. Regardless of what politicians say firearms are not.

I was attacked once by a 140lb mastiff. Completely unprovoked, I was just minding my own business putting my cardboard in the recycling bin in the alley behind the post office in the town I live in. Out of nowhere this dog is charging down the alley at me full bore, not barking just coming for me. I had just enough time to raise my left forearm and brace myself. When he hit me and clamped down on my arm I brought my right closed fist down as hard as I could between his shoulder blades. This stunned him enough he decided to release. At this point I had my knife in my right hand and was facing him. As a utility worker I’ve dealt with enough dogs to now once you are facing them they are less likely to attack you. He charged me two more time but never made contact. I honestly thought I’d have to kill that dog that day. His owner showed up after a few minutes of us facing off and yelled at him and he backed down and went to him. Needless to say law enforcement was involved and the dog was destroyed.

I‘ve never seen a gun do that.

As it turned out the dog had a history of attacking other dogs and people and yes it’s owner was a p.o.s. My point is certain breeds of dogs are dangerous due to their strength, temperament, and the amount of damage they can do.
My point was that a particular breed isn't the issue, not that dogs can't be dangerous. If you read my other comments in this thread you would see my point. To say my argument is false is incorrect especially while providing an example of a dog attacking you that wasn't even the breed in question.

Scary black rifles and scary dog breeds are both used as political weapons.

i have a different "take" on this type of dog, as far too many times, they have attacked people, even the so-called friendly pits..i personally just do not trust THIS dog breed.

and that is...

"they wanna push to ban assault weapons, and magazine limits"....then "they ought to ban pit bulls"

"they" can be anyone from politicians to the general public, that is/are against people having these things.

Five years ago my husky Sofie and I was attacked by 2 pitbulls in the neighborhood while out on a walk. Sofie got bit and had to be taken to the vet. Both dogs were running loose. The city that I live in did nothing. Two months later Sofie started having issues with her hind legs. To make a long story short and several thousand dollars later I had to put Sofie down. Sofie was only 4 years old. Now when I walk Maggie I always have a gun and everybody knows I will use it! I have never forgiven myself for what happened to Sofie and I will never be put in that position with Maggie. Cops don't like my attitude about loose dogs but to bad, if one wants to start a dog fight its going to doggie heaven.

Five years ago my husky Sofie and I was attacked by 2 pitbulls in the neighborhood while out on a walk. Sofie got bit and had to be taken to the vet. Both dogs were running loose. The city that I live in did nothing. Two months later Sofie started having issues with her hind legs. To make a long story short and several thousand dollars later I had to put Sofie down. Sofie was only 4 years old. Now when I walk Maggie I always have a gun and everybody knows I will use it! I have never forgiven myself for what happened to Sofie and I will never be put in that position with Maggie. Cops don't like my attitude about loose dogs but to bad, if one wants to start a dog fight its going to doggie heaven.
sorry about Sofie.

i "thought" that it was common law much like picking up your dogs' poop, that no dogs are to be running loose?

we have leash laws here, and frankly, it's incredibly rare to see a stray dog.

yes, carry your firearm, and let'em have it, if they start running up towards you. it would be a real help too, more street cams were available as if only to be a witness for anyone in such a shooting.

the laws are too lax all over the place. owners of dogs may get a fine, (and it's a joke fine at that), the dog may get impounded for observation, then many times, they get put down, which i fully support. they should be put down as soon as they arrive at the pound. even better yet, at the scene, then just call Waste Management.

but only God knows the devastation they did, before they got caught, then they go looking all puppy dog eye innocent....screw'em.

We do have leash laws here! They just don't want to enforce them. Last week a German Shepard came after Maggie and I for the second time! I called police and they didn't even respond. So when I smart off I will shoot the SOB they get mad at me! Now i'm the bad guy, WTF!

We do have leash laws here! They just don't want to enforce them. Last week a German Shepard came after Maggie and I for the second time! I called police and they didn't even respond. So when I smart off I will shoot the SOB they get mad at me! Now i'm the bad guy, WTF!
Pepper spray… legal defense and you dont have to go thru the hassle of a firearm going off or a dead dog in SD.
If you truly can get the German Shepard to cease &desist with PS vs a pistol in this case hopefully.

you're going to have to start carrying mace/pepper sprays, or a "pump bottle" of straight ammonia...i'd even add in some bleach as well, and blast the SOB.

sorry to hear about the locals out there.

i suppose as "back up" you can sit and talk with your lawyer about this, and how to defend yourself against this. that way, you got sound advice.

Back