testtest

Did You Know the Mil-Spec Could Do This?

Very interesting article!

I don't have a SA Mil-Spec (except for their CO2/BB pistol) but I do have several 1911s set up almost exactly the same way. This is also VERY similar to the old Jeff Cooper GSP (Gunsite Service Pistol) and in fact I built up my first one even before the GSP appeared back in the '80s. Roy's results didn't surprise me a bit as mine shoot very similarly. (I have never put a scope on one and shot at 100 yards, though.)

1674752010454.jpeg

Scoped guns.. DUH... Of course it works.. BUT like everything in this world "there's more to the story." HIP SHOOTING... YES it works too. Trust me... when you're running thru the bush with someone one your ****... you have nothing but INSTINCT to save you. SO... like the scripture says... "there is a time for everything." BULLET WEIGHT ETC. Rotational deflection, wind, humidity... you can't just say, "Oh, Put a scope on it and now your a marksman.

This looks really interesting and I'll try it as soon as I can set up a series of range targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards from my back porch. Of course, we'll need to sell our house and go find one like that - one that my wife likes on the inside, etc. But hey, once that little hurdle is cleared, I'm in! ;)

I've never tried scoping any of my Semi Autos, buy I do have a 3X scope mounted to my old Interarms Virginia Dragoon SAA in .357 Mag. With it's 7 1/2" barrel, a 100 yards is a piece of cake for that old hogleg, and a fun day to ring steel.
Most of my Semi's aren't readily capable of taking a scope. I don't think anyone makes a plate that can support a scope for any of them, that I'm aware of, so to add a Red Dot or Scope would require s trip to the gunsmith to mill the existing slides or buying an already milled slide. Both are expensive options for this retiree.
Red Dots have their place and I like the two I've got on my AR's, but fine precision isn't what they were intended for. So I do keep a 3 X 9 I picked up cheap with a quick mount for when I want to work on my precision skills.
At 63, I agree, my eyes aren't anywhere as sharp as they were 30 to 40 years ago.

When I was shooting IPSC, we often shot at 50 yards in matches, before and after the advent of optical sights. We did not however, do it with creepy 5pound triggers, Roy, we did it with 1.5 pound, smooth as silk triggers and routinely hit those 50's. Off to the gunsmith with you.

Back in the day, I was teaching FBI sniper schools in conjunction with the Springfield PD. After a day at the range, the SPD range master an I would put several clay targets on the berm at 100 yards and shoot them with our duty revolvers. We hit the clays a lot more often than I originally thought possible. Some fun shooting at distance. The old FBI practical pistol course had five rounds prone from the 60 yd. line. If you wanted to shoot a "Possible" you had to be able to shoot from a distance.

Hi,

Nice. My question is where does the spent brass go?

It seems the slide action would carry the ejector port behind the scope's frame so that the spent brass would eject from the red circle area. ;)

1674782966448.png

I've heard of and tried pinhole glasses. They seemed to help these old eyes read print without my reader glasses. I was unaware of this "Eyepal" patch for your shooting glasses. It seems to operate on the same principle. I might have to rig me up something like that to see if it helps. 🤓

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

There's little question that pinhole apertures on your glasses can sharpen your sight picture. BUT! Will you have such a thing available in time of real "crisis"? Almost certainly not. Best to not learn to rely on one to do your shooting.

When I was shooting IPSC, we often shot at 50 yards in matches, before and after the advent of optical sights. We did not however, do it with creepy 5pound triggers, Roy, we did it with 1.5 pound, smooth as silk triggers and routinely hit those 50's. Off to the gunsmith with you.
I make offhand hits on a 6” gong at 50 yards with my Baer Custom Carry with no problems with a 4.25# trigger.

Don’t see the point of a 1.5# pistol trigger on anything besides a toy.

Very interesting article!

I don't have a SA Mil-Spec (except for their CO2/BB pistol) but I do have several 1911s set up almost exactly the same way. This is also VERY similar to the old Jeff Cooper GSP (Gunsite Service Pistol) and in fact I built up my first one even before the GSP appeared back in the '80s. Roy's results didn't surprise me a bit as mine shoot very similarly. (I have never put a scope on one and shot at 100 yards, though.)

View attachment 35649
Thanks Snake. And indeed ... there's something about a basic 1911 that always appeals. Roy Huntington

Scoped guns.. DUH... Of course it works.. BUT like everything in this world "there's more to the story." HIP SHOOTING... YES it works too. Trust me... when you're running thru the bush with someone one your ****... you have nothing but INSTINCT to save you. SO... like the scripture says... "there is a time for everything." BULLET WEIGHT ETC. Rotational deflection, wind, humidity... you can't just say, "Oh, Put a scope on it and now your a marksman.
Agreed about making you a marksman, Doug. I've found scoping a handgun like this allows you to explore its accuracy potential. But as you say ... you still need to know how to shoot! Roy H.

This looks really interesting and I'll try it as soon as I can set up a series of range targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards from my back porch. Of course, we'll need to sell our house and go find one like that - one that my wife likes on the inside, etc. But hey, once that little hurdle is cleared, I'm in! ;)
Ha! I know ... I know .... I count my blessings all the time. When people say how "lucky" I am to do this, I remind them it took me 40+ years of work to get this way! Roy H.

I've never tried scoping any of my Semi Autos, buy I do have a 3X scope mounted to my old Interarms Virginia Dragoon SAA in .357 Mag. With it's 7 1/2" barrel, a 100 yards is a piece of cake for that old hogleg, and a fun day to ring steel.
Most of my Semi's aren't readily capable of taking a scope. I don't think anyone makes a plate that can support a scope for any of them, that I'm aware of, so to add a Red Dot or Scope would require s trip to the gunsmith to mill the existing slides or buying an already milled slide. Both are expensive options for this retiree.
Red Dots have their place and I like the two I've got on my AR's, but fine precision isn't what they were intended for. So I do keep a 3 X 9 I picked up cheap with a quick mount for when I want to work on my precision skills.
At 63, I agree, my eyes aren't anywhere as sharp as they were 30 to 40 years ago.
Agreed on the dots. I've found cross-hairs always allow much more precise aiming and it's what I tried to use when putting optics on a gun to test for an article in Handgunner. Try one of those Eyepalusa add-ons for your glasses. They honestly work great. Roy H.

Tucker, I shot PPC in Southern CA from about 1974 to 1978. I started with a 6" Model 19 slicked up then transitioned to a dedicated PPC gun. And you're right .... I watched Grand Masters eat that x-ring out at 50 yards all the time! It does make shooting closer easy ... Roy H.

Back