testtest

Educate me Re: SD ammo

BassCliff

Professional
Greetings once again from The Old Noob,

The last thread this old noob could find about self defense ammo was more than a year old. He thought, "Maybe it's time again?"

(Doesn't it bug you when people talk about themselves in third person?) :ROFLMAO:

During the lockdowns I was picking up ammo, both practice and self defense, in a catch-as-catch-can manner. For that reason I have quite a selection, at least two or three boxes of these, some I have more.

1678307235692.png

I must admit that I've not shot all of these through my carry gun. I know, shame on me. But I have plenty of what I've tested and know works in my XD9. I figure I'll get to the rest when I get around to it.

It seems the Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense are favorites for a lot of folks. I've seen good reviews of the Sig V-Crown and Win USA Ready. The ARX Inceptor is kind of a gimmick round with a fluted polymer-copper composite bullet. It's the only non-expanding non-hollow point in my SD collection. The rest I've just picked up because they were available as I was cruising by the ammo isle and I thought, "Why not?"

All that just to ask, what is your favorite? Are there any of these that you particularly avoid? A couple of these are +P but out of my 4" barrel I don't see that making much of a difference. I understand the Hornady Critical Duty is designed to punch though barriers like windshields and plywood. Maybe this would not be the best for home defense. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for putting up with me.

If you've discussed this ad-nauseam and don't care to participate, I understand. I'm happy to wallow in my ignorance and rely on review sites and Youtube videos. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Long answer: Lucky Gunners Labs is the place to go for the most consistent testing on a broad range of rounds. They worked really hard to make sure that identical conditions were met for the firearm, round, and ballistics gel/materials. You can sort the data by clicking the top of the columns. I sort by expansion, then choose those that are the depth im looking for, and finally looking at the pics from my top 3 to make sure their expansion is consistent. You can check them out here https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm.

Short answer: Based on everything said above, Federal Micro 150. End of search.

for self defensive rounds i have been buying/using Federal HST. so that would be going on 3 years now.

all other ammo i could care less the name, or grain, copper, lead, FMJ, red tip, wing tip, coated, uncoated, whatever, i buy for practicing, and pricing...i always ask the LGS salesman, "what's the least expensive you have right now"

for my reloading pleasure, i reload mostly all lead, but i do have some FMJ 9mm i have yet to reload.

What runs in your gun, shoots accurately in your gun, and you can control rapid strings.

Personally, in what you have pictured...I wouldn't touch the ARX, and know nothing of Ammo Inc. I also don't care for lightweight bullets, so the Norma would be a last choice. After that--I wouldn't use CDuty in a gun with under a 4" barrel due to failed/lessened expansion issues, and CDefense has too iffy of a track record as far as running in my pistols for me to bother with it.

After that...see my criteria, above. All things being equal, I'd go with the 124gr Gold Dots first.

What runs in your gun, shoots accurately in your gun, and you can control rapid strings.

Personally, in what you have pictured...I wouldn't touch the ARX, and know nothing of Ammo Inc. I also don't care for lightweight bullets, so the Norma would be a last choice. After that--I wouldn't use CDuty in a gun with under a 4" barrel due to failed/lessened expansion issues, and CDefense has too iffy of a track record as far as running in my pistols for me to bother with it.

After that...see my criteria, above. All things being equal, I'd go with the 124gr Gold Dots first.
I agree with Hans. Gold Dots first. Followed by the Federal Punch, which is billed as a poor man's HST although it's really not that much cheaper than HST. I do have some and shot a box through my VP9 and got pretty similar results.

Greetings once again from The Old Noob,

The last thread this old noob could find about self defense ammo was more than a year old. He thought, "Maybe it's time again?"

(Doesn't it bug you when people talk about themselves in third person?) :ROFLMAO:

During the lockdowns I was picking up ammo, both practice and self defense, in a catch-as-catch-can manner. For that reason I have quite a selection, at least two or three boxes of these, some I have more.

View attachment 37489

I must admit that I've not shot all of these through my carry gun. I know, shame on me. But I have plenty of what I've tested and know works in my XD9. I figure I'll get to the rest when I get around to it.

It seems the Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense are favorites for a lot of folks. I've seen good reviews of the Sig V-Crown and Win USA Ready. The ARX Inceptor is kind of a gimmick round with a fluted polymer-copper composite bullet. It's the only non-expanding non-hollow point in my SD collection. The rest I've just picked up because they were available as I was cruising by the ammo isle and I thought, "Why not?"

All that just to ask, what is your favorite? Are there any of these that you particularly avoid? A couple of these are +P but out of my 4" barrel I don't see that making much of a difference. I understand the Hornady Critical Duty is designed to punch though barriers like windshields and plywood. Maybe this would not be the best for home defense. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for putting up with me.

If you've discussed this ad-nauseam and don't care to participate, I understand. I'm happy to wallow in my ignorance and rely on review sites and Youtube videos. ;)

BassCliff
Gold dots are my favorite but the ARX is a great round. It does make a nasty wound channel. I know this because i shot a dog with it a few years back and the dog did not live. Even the cops were impressed with it. I don't use +p, i don't see the need for it. I guess the best one is the one that saves your life when you need it.

I haven’t played with it, but…the reviews seem good. Seems a hybrid of the old Hi-Shock JHP and an HST.
All of my very scientific and important testing is done on the range with wood products and the results are calculated to the most minute detail by my scientific brain. Penetration is not quite as good with the punch as it is with the HST, but expansion was consistent. I still have some and my intent is to wrap some of that wood up with some old coats and shirts and whatnot and see what happens.

Although I no longer have a 9mm platform handgun I have a mix of Hornady critical defense and Sig Elite Performance in 40SW 45ACP and Sig performance in 10mm for self defense.
For range ammunition a wide mix of Winchester and Federal.
For my Taurus revolver I have 357 Winchester Silver Tip and Remington HTP

Hi,

I like hornady c defense for carry gun for target I shoot a lot of blazer brass not the aluminum

Thank you for your recommendation. I've been carrying either the Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot. For practice ammo I'm all over the place. I just got in a case of S&B 124gr. I'm trying to shoot up all my WWB right now. I had three FTEs today out of 50 rounds. Egads. ;)

BassCliff

Hi,

Long answer: Lucky Gunners Labs is the place to go for the most consistent testing on a broad range of rounds. They worked really hard to make sure that identical conditions were met for the firearm, round, and ballistics gel/materials. You can sort the data by clicking the top of the columns. I sort by expansion, then choose those that are the depth im looking for, and finally looking at the pics from my top 3 to make sure their expansion is consistent. You can check them out here https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm.

Wow, I had forgotten about that resource. Thanks for sharing it again. It's handy having all that information in one place. Nice.

Short answer: Based on everything said above, Federal Micro 150. End of search.

I have never seen this in any of the places I've shopped for ammo. I guess I need to get out more. ;) I'll check it out. Thanks !

BassCliff

I've found what works in one gun may not work in another.
Sig V crown has worked in my 4 CC guns I use, so its loaded in all 4.
Rest of all the great ammo brands/styles for CC that I tried worked in some guns but not all.
Shoot, shoot and shoot some more to see what will and wont fail for your particular firearm.
It is not absolute

Hi,

for self defensive rounds i have been buying/using Federal HST. so that would be going on 3 years now.

all other ammo i could care less the name, or grain, copper, lead, FMJ, red tip, wing tip, coated, uncoated, whatever, i buy for practicing, and pricing...i always ask the LGS salesman, "what's the least expensive you have right now"

for my reloading pleasure, i reload mostly all lead, but i do have some FMJ 9mm i have yet to reload.

Thanks! Yes, Federal HST has been one of the rounds that have come up as a favorite for lots of folks. That's another one I've never tried. I have tried the V-Crown and the ARX above.

I buy cheap practice ammo too, stuff manufactured in-house at LAX Ammo, 2A Warehouse, and PSA's AAC brand, etc. I also have lots of Blazer, Federal, Fiocchi, WWB, whatever was on sale. ;)

I keep telling myself I'm gonna get into reloading someday.

BassCliff

Hi,

I appreciate that. Thanks. I'm currently carrying what I've tested and know works. Speer Gold Dot is my current fave and Hornady Critical Defense is next. I've shot some ARX and it cycles well. I'm just not sure that it's an SD round that will do enough damage. I have a lot of V-Crown. I know that works and I think I'd be comfortable carrying that too.

I have seen tests with the Hornady Critical Duty out of a 3.5" barrel and it was unimpressive. With a 4" barrel it was much more effective. I'll try this box and see how I like it.

But you are very correct, get something that won't fail, is accurate, and allows quick strings. Cool.

BassCliff

Hi,

I agree with Hans. Gold Dots first. Followed by the Federal Punch, which is billed as a poor man's HST although it's really not that much cheaper than HST. I do have some and shot a box through my VP9 and got pretty similar results.

Thanks Bob. Yes, I've been using the Gold Dots for the most part. I have never tried that Federal Punch. That's the only box I have. I should take it to the range just to see if I like it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

BassCliff

Hi,

For me, Sig’s V-Crown, if I can’t find it, Winchester Silver Tips, not a fan of the Critical Defense, just my opinion

The more I look into the V-Crown, the more I'm considering it. Even though I have a stash of it I haven't carried it just because I haven't tested it enough though my XD9. Mrs. BassCliff's CW9 loves it. Thanks for letting me know you like it. I don't have any Winchester Silver Tip, just the USA Ready.

BassCliff

Hi,

Gold dots are my favorite but the ARX is a great round. It does make a nasty wound channel. I know this because i shot a dog with it a few years back and the dog did not live. Even the cops were impressed with it. I don't use +p, i don't see the need for it. I guess the best one is the one that saves your life when you need it.

That's good to hear. Thanks. I'm carrying Gold Dots right now. I also watched Paul Harrell test the ARX on his meat target. (I like that guy's schtick.) It seemed to do a lot of damage but has the potential for over-penetration. (i.e. Know what's beyond your target!) I appreciate your thoughts.

BassCliff

Back