testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Ah! Did you get SA to send you new ones? I'm looking at Amazon, 0.06" is what seems to be on the Prodigy, from Truglo for $20, but it's a huge quantity 5" long and some red, some amber some green... Red might actually work out, always looking to be different ;)
Yes. I called up SA and asked them for a couple of rods of green. They took my address and they arrived about two days later!

Yes. I called up SA and asked them for a couple of rods of green. They took my address and they arrived about two days later!
Just did that today, these people are so nice! Should get new rods in the mail today, very cool!
Oh, and when I jokingly "complained" that they needed to stop taking advantage of my lack of willpower by releasing great firearms, the CR responded that something very nice was coming soon... Wonder what that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did that today, these people are so nice! Should get new rods in the mail today, very cool!
Oh, and when I jokingly "complained" that they needed to stop taking advantage of my lack of willpower by releasing great firearms, the CR responded that something very nice was coming soon... Wonder what that is...
Hopefully an aluminum frame Prodigy for EDC.

I’ll be picking up my 4.25 Prodigy on Monday. I was looking for the AOS plate for it being I have an RMR laying around that I can install. Went looking for the plate and nobody seems to have them in stock. Then I noticed that SA got them back in stock but jumped the price up to $129. That’s pretty disappointing…

Then I noticed that SA got them back in stock but jumped the price up to $129. That’s pretty disappointing…

Wow….just wow. When I first got mine they were $60…which, I thought was priced right in the market. More than double now… just wow. IMO, $60 to $90 is about right.
That being said…the Stacatto plates are even more typically. That’s just a steep switch from what it was not that long ago.

I can understand a small price increase in the optic plates, everything is going up, but over double in price?

When the Prodigy initially came out they were $60, and that was reasonable. Now for SA to more than double the price makes it seems like SA was lowballing potential customers to lure them in, but now that the Prodigy has picked up in sales, they feel they can force customers to pay more.

That's a pretty substantial price increase when some manufacturers are including a range of optics plates that fit almost every brand of red dot out there.

That's a pretty substantial price increase when some manufacturers are including a range of optics plates that fit almost every brand of red dot out there.
Agreed.
I owned two of them, sold one…still have the other.
Canik Rival S and S&W Competitor (sold the latter)

I too get…cost of materials, labor, etc. But more than double? C’mon.
I also get…the plate includes the blacked out rear sight…but still, double?

Glad I got in while I did, but… I’ve been contemplating switching my DS over to a DPP from the 507c on there now…rethinking…

However, I’ll wait for other sites to catch up. When SA had them for 60, other sites had them for 45 or 50…so, there may be a little middle ground in the near future.

Rods showed up quickly, one green one red. I went for "poor man's red dot" for a change, looks pretty good :)

PXL_20230325_134819042.jpg

Nice but I have a question: how well can you see the front sight, say outside in the dark? unless you only use at range?
Range/outdoors with light. Honestly, with blacked out rear and a fiber only front, they’re tough to see.
IMO…if carry is your choice and low light is involved, night sites are better, or at least a tritium based front blade.

To each their own However.

Range/outdoors with light. Honestly, with blacked out rear and a fiber only front, they’re tough to see.
IMO…if carry is your choice and low light is involved, night sites are better, or at least a tritium based front blade.

To each their own However.
Absolutely agree, it's unusable at night per the very definition of fiber optics. For this, the SIG tritium sights are far better, I did actually paint all my M&P sights with glow in the dark paint too, works well enough... Doesn't stay on for months in a row, but reapplying a touch of paint every now and then does the trick. I know, it's ghetto but it works ;)

I did get the paint on Amazon, that's that simple. Heck, I even titled my review Make Arms Glow Again and they didn't censor it because their how so special AI isn't really that "I" :D Most of the firearms related reviews on amazon are either censored by pure hypocrisy (what could an M-Lok foregrip be for? Gender-fluid unicorn???) or allowed if they're negative.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 152546.png

Or you can add a red dot and not even notice when your front rod falls out!
Yep, it's in the mail (Hex Dragonfly). Should have been here today but UPS decided against it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back